PDA

View Full Version : How to remove paint

gibbonsballer10
10-23-2011, 06:20 PM
I bought a toro walkbehind today for a really nice price. It has a lot of paint peeling and was wondering how I could remove the paint from the deck so I could paint it the right way. I dont have a sander so any other ideas? Thanks.

StihlMechanic
10-23-2011, 06:22 PM
They make a paint remover in a can. Use that or a wire brush.

Patriot Services
10-23-2011, 06:25 PM
Honestly you will never get a repaint to last like the original finish. I bought a used Scag that had the deck painted with bedliner. After 6 months hardly any wear. Just scuff it with a coarse pad or sandpaper.:usflag:

Mikegyver
10-23-2011, 06:50 PM
Drill, $3 wire brush for drill, Ace Rust Stop (the best)
Mike

93Chevy
10-23-2011, 07:16 PM
Get yourself a good chemical paint stripper and a pair of rubber gloves.

Greyst1
10-23-2011, 08:33 PM
Ignore all the previous post. Break the machine down and media blast (sand, crushed walnuts, and i think there is a silicon product now that does less damage to the metal) all painted parts. Once your done find a powder coat painter (a company that does powder coating). This part will take some time but they are out there. Will probably take some time to work your mower in but they will do it.

Good luck and post some pics when your done.

Patriot Services
10-23-2011, 09:04 PM
Ignore all the previous post. Break the machine down and media blast (sand, crushed walnuts, and i think there is a silicon product now that does less damage to the metal) all painted parts. Once your done find a powder coat painter (a company that does powder coating). This part will take some time but they are out there. Will probably take some time to work your mower in but they will do it.

Good luck and post some pics when your done.

Considering he doesn't even have a sander I'm sure blasting and powder coating are out of financial reach.:usflag:

TNGrassCutter
10-23-2011, 10:03 PM
Get you an hvlp paint gun and mix some paint with lots of hardener.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mikegyver
10-24-2011, 07:59 AM
Get you an hvlp paint gun and mix some paint with lots of hardener.

Considering he doesn't even have a sander I'm sure blasting and powder coating are out of financial reach.:usflag:

Id agree that there's better ways to do it. But the way I said was by far the easiest.

nepatsfan
10-24-2011, 08:23 AM

I was thinking the same thing

Patriot Services
10-24-2011, 08:36 AM
It doesn't get much cheaper than a sheet of sandpaper and the tools at the end of your arms. Prepped many cars, boats, bikes, trailers and other equipment in my teens with nothing more.
Posted via Mobile Device

93Chevy
10-24-2011, 06:18 PM
Hopefully he can afford paint stripper.

MOW ED
10-25-2011, 02:13 PM
Go to Harbor freight and get one of these.

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-needle-scaler-1108.html