PDA

View Full Version : hydro question

944own
10-23-2011, 07:02 PM
I have a question about the hydros on my 36 redhawk wb. This is the first hydro I have had I used to have a belt drive and never used it because it sucked so bad with no reverse. I use this mower maybe for 1-2 hrs a week on gated yards. The question is when you first crank the mower the hydros will barely move the mower but if you just start walking after maybe 2 minutes of walking real slow it picks up and goes as it should. What could cause this or is this normal I know these are cheap mowers but I bought it for $300 used earlier this summer and it has never let me down but I really dont use it that much. I do know these have sealed hydros on them so the fluid cannot be changed so I guess when they are gone you just have to replace them. Thanks for any ideas.

944own
10-23-2011, 07:03 PM
Also when I first got it the mower did not seem to do this it just started in the past month or so. But it is weird like I said after a minute or two it pulls just fine.

agrostis
10-23-2011, 08:23 PM
Hydraulic oil need's to warm up. You bought that mower in the summer when the oil was thin and it has gotten colder outside and the oil has gotten thicker. Sound's normal to me.

944own
10-23-2011, 08:26 PM
Hydraulic oil need's to warm up. You bought that mower in the summer when the oil was thin and it has gotten colder outside and the oil has gotten thicker. Sound's normal to me.

Thanks I was not sure because my lazer is ready to go as soon as it starts, never have to wait on the hydros. But im glad to hear this because the mower does a nice job and that makes sense because it has been getting much cooler lately then when I first got it and it was in the 90's every day.

Greyst1
10-23-2011, 09:17 PM
Something is off. I've owned all hydros and they are ready to go when the machine is running. Granted it is better to let the oil warm up but they will still work. I would drain the fluid, you may have the wrong oil in the hydros. Maybe a thinker weight or something. As soon as the engine is running the hydros should work.

944own
10-23-2011, 10:24 PM
Something is off. I've owned all hydros and they are ready to go when the machine is running. Granted it is better to let the oil warm up but they will still work. I would drain the fluid, you may have the wrong oil in the hydros. Maybe a thinker weight or something. As soon as the engine is running the hydros should work.

I would love to but like I said they are sealed with no oil tank to drain. They are like the hydros on a residential lawn tractor. I hope nothing is wrong like I said they are fine after they get warmed up but I would think something is off.

944own
11-07-2011, 08:47 AM
Just wanted to update this thread. I figured out the problem it was the hydro belt. Tightened it up and problem solved. I dont know why even with it a little loose if I would let it sit and run for a few minutes it would go like it should but now as soon as you crank it it is ready to go.

S-205
11-23-2011, 02:01 PM
How exactly did you adjust the hydro belt, because the same thing is happening to mine?

944own
11-23-2011, 02:17 PM
How exactly did you adjust the hydro belt, because the same thing is happening to mine?
If you are standing behind the mower (like you were operating it) there is a bolt that sticks out the right side of the mower on the back. Loosen the bolt from the inside and tighten the bolt from the outside and it will thighten the belt. I can post pics if you dont understand. Mine is still pulling good after the adjustment. good luck

S-205
11-23-2011, 06:25 PM
Yeah I figured it out after I looked at the manual. It seemed to be as tight as it could go, the adjustment bracket was sitting against a nut and bolt that came in from the top? I took it off and adjusted it further and its fine now. Was there a bolt on yours?

Darryl G
11-23-2011, 06:34 PM
Most brands have an idler puller and spring to tension the hydro belt. Glad you got it figured out though.