PDA

View Full Version : Scag Vride

mt0mind
10-23-2011, 08:10 PM
Scag Vride: very bad hydros/ beware! Stick with Wright stander boys!!!!

sjessen
10-23-2011, 08:22 PM
Care to elaborate?

nepatsfan
10-23-2011, 08:27 PM
somebody has an ax to grind. I am pretty sure they both use hydrogear pumps.

mt0mind
10-23-2011, 08:32 PM
Yes, I was all excited when Scag come out with the VRide. Got it early this season. Broke down at least 4 times all with leaky Hydros. Lost time and money fixing it under warranty. Broke again the other day....Gave up and traded it in for the Wright Stander. Lost money on the trade but it was worth it. A far better machine. Shame on Scag for not testing the vride better!!!

Jwengerd
10-23-2011, 08:52 PM
most of the time when the v ride is leaking its the oring fittings on the pumps if they dont install the hose correctly they cut the oring then it will fail.

djagusch
10-23-2011, 09:20 PM
I'm at the end of the 2nd season without issues. Sounds like your dealer can't make the repair properly.

grassman177
10-23-2011, 09:56 PM
pretty much, i love guys that blame manufacturers for things they did not make, just installed. the vride is not bad for the hydros, though i think they suck for comfort and strength. guy here broke his frame, and it was not abused. i think the frames are not strong enough and they scalp big time.

DLAWNS
10-23-2011, 10:16 PM
Never had any problems with mine in a year and a half...it is a great mower!

PlantscapeSolutions
10-23-2011, 11:52 PM
The hydro fittings failing is a known issue. I had one fail at about 200 hours. Scag really should admit to the problem and replace all the fittings before they fail. The bigger dealer in Austin knew about the problem but the smaller dealer I purchased my from was not savvy to the problem until I enlightened them. Scag had no bulletins issued of any sort to alert the dealers to the problem so they could be more proactive on the issue. The newer fittings appear to correct the problem and do not have the o-ring design flaw.

My gripe with Scag is the Advantage deck should be called the disadvantage deck for guys who mulch. Even with the whole Hurricane mulching kit installed on the Advantage deck it is not as good as the old square decks with nothing more then a mulching plate installed. I also have two Scag 36 SWZU's with probably around 2000 hours on them that have been problem free.

When I purchased the SWZU's I filled out a survey and checked off that yes I would like Scag to contact me because I wanted to comment on the Advantage deck. Instead Scag sent me two pens. Geeze thanks a bunch for the frickin pens Scag.

I had two belt drive Scag 36's before that with the better square edged decks. I don't miss belts one bit but would mind having the old school deck back.

PremierT&L
10-23-2011, 11:57 PM
My Vride started to leak hydraulic oil at about 60 hours. I took it back to the dealer and they knew immediately what the problem was(o-ring) and fixed it. Other than that i've been real happy with the mower, though it does scalp a bit more than i expected.

GMLC
10-24-2011, 06:53 PM
The hydro fittings failing is a known issue. I had one fail at about 200 hours. Scag really should admit to the problem and replace all the fittings before they fail. The bigger dealer in Austin knew about the problem but the smaller dealer I purchased my from was not savvy to the problem until I enlightened them. Scag had no bulletins issued of any sort to alert the dealers to the problem so they could be more proactive on the issue. The newer fittings appear to correct the problem and do not have the o-ring design flaw.

My gripe with Scag is the Advantage deck should be called the disadvantage deck for guys who mulch. Even with the whole Hurricane mulching kit installed on the Advantage deck it is not as good as the old square decks with nothing more then a mulching plate installed. I also have two Scag 36 SWZU's with probably around 2000 hours on them that have been problem free.

When I purchased the SWZU's I filled out a survey and checked off that yes I would like Scag to contact me because I wanted to comment on the Advantage deck. Instead Scag sent me two pens. Geeze thanks a bunch for the frickin pens Scag.

I had two belt drive Scag 36's before that with the better square edged decks. I don't miss belts one bit but would mind having the old school deck back.

The advatage deck was replaced with the velocity deck like 5 years ago. Back then the advantage deck was top of the line, now it doesnt even compare to the velocity.

GMLC
10-24-2011, 09:26 PM
The advatage deck was replaced with the velocity deck like 5 years ago. Back then the advantage deck was top of the line, now it doesnt even compare to the velocity.

My bad...the 36's still have the advantage deck.

ed2hess
10-24-2011, 09:52 PM

Want to sell one of those 36" hydro units? One with floating deck. McCoys have fixed a bunch of the v-riders i see them in there all the time. I don't think they sell any other brands of standers any more. Maybe you want to trade a vride for a new Sentar 36".

StihlMechanic
10-24-2011, 10:00 PM
Glad I didn't buy one

djagusch
10-24-2011, 10:12 PM
Glad I didn't buy one

Why?

Because of a o ring leaking on a hydro line that is fixed easily and quickly with a good dealer? I bought my in June last year (first year), after the Scag rep found it was retailed I got a personal call saying to look for a leak after a week of use. Not all units had a leak just a few. Surprised that they even have problems from this years run.

For the cracked frames on 52" units. They have had a TSB since August of last year for the issue to repair or replace the frames. All new units have it beefed up.

While these things shouldn't happen they did. Scag is fixing the small number of problems they have in the field. Alot of Wright Stander fan boys didn't like how toro/exmark/scag took market share away and blow any issues out of proportion.

The Vride is a very solid and productive unit to have on the trailer.

PlantscapeSolutions
10-25-2011, 01:14 AM
Want to sell one of those 36" hydro units? One with floating deck. McCoys have fixed a bunch of the v-riders i see them in there all the time. I don't think they sell any other brands of standers any more. Maybe you want to trade a vride for a new Sentar 36".

I had actually tried the Sentar Sport years ago. The vender had brought one in for McCoys annual vender day but it never left the trailer. For some reason McCoys would not let them display the mower. This may have been 5-6 years back.

The sales guy brought me a unit all the way from Houston to try out for the day. The motor and hydros were not in sync at all. If you made any sudden abrupt turns or tried to give the hydros too much input the motor would backfire or stall. This may have been a unit that intended as a demo and was going to be tweaked prior to full production.

I nixed the Sentar Sport and bought two Scag 36" SWZU's instead. I basically have my V-Ride as the workhorse and the one SWZU riding shotgun doing just a little work. My second SWZU sits in my shop as a backup mower. For being a little one crew biz I have a lot of trailers, mowers, and other equipment. If things go to hell with our water issues I may unload several pieces of equipment next year.

The one mower I do have collecting too much dust is a 52" Great Dane Gateway with a fold up deck. I think the only other person with a Gateway in Austin is the Roving Gardener. The Roving Gardener has used the crap out of their mower. My Gateway probably has less then 500 hours on it and I bought it about eight years ago.

McCoys still like the Wright mowers and recommends them but I know they have likely been conservative about sitting on a lot of slow moving mowers right now.

DR J
10-25-2011, 07:54 PM
Sorry to tell you guys, found problem here at mccoys, not the o'ring as many talk about.
problem is fitting itself, supplier of fittings to scag changed vendors, tolerences way off crushing o ring before seated, way to loose. found here because of yrs of working on hydros. exmark went though similar prob yrs ago. have had very good luck with sentar and v ride can't knock either, this just coming from mech. may want to find a dealer with more exp. mechs, or care a little more. sorry mr plant solutions you have had so many problems. Bring it by let me take a look anytime for free. again sorry about your trouble.

Jwengerd
10-25-2011, 08:02 PM
the frames are weak on the 1st models to come out but the reinforced the newer models, ours broke but was covered under warranty

PlantscapeSolutions
10-26-2011, 12:20 AM
Sorry to tell you guys, found problem here at mccoys, not the o'ring as many talk about.
problem is fitting itself, supplier of fittings to scag changed vendors, tolerences way off crushing o ring before seated, way to loose. found here because of yrs of working on hydros. exmark went though similar prob yrs ago. have had very good luck with sentar and v ride can't knock either, this just coming from mech. may want to find a dealer with more exp. mechs, or care a little more. sorry mr plant solutions you have had so many problems. Bring it by let me take a look anytime for free. again sorry about your trouble.
It was because of you guys at McCoys that I knew about the hydro issues. I think you guys have sold about 20 V-Rides to Jacks one at Travis Tractor. I had been shopping for a V-Ride at McCoys and Travis Tractor but was still waiting to buy when I had multiple mowers break down. Jack just happened to be in Georgetown picking up another mower when I needed my mower ASAP. A few hours after I called Jack he had the mowers ready to go. I was also able to shake Jack down a little bit more since he was already in Georgetown. Jack ended up saving me $200 after I shook him down a little

I've purchased a bunch of stuff from McCoys as well. For non-warranty repairs I do not use McCoys or Travis Tractor. I use Brian Parks at AISD who usually gets his parts from you guys much of the time. I'm assuming you know who Brian is.

MrksLndscp
10-26-2011, 06:24 PM
I had an O-ring issue in the first 10 hours of using my Vride. Easy fix and problem free ever since.

Glenn Lawn Care
10-26-2011, 06:35 PM
I heard that they are great mowers and people prefer them over the other big name standers.

StihlMechanic
11-04-2011, 04:36 PM
@Plant Solutions. You may of mentioned it but what size is your Scag V-Ride? How is the quality of cut in St. Augustine and Zoysia? I am looking at either a v-ride or grandstand. I want the same cut quality as the toro turbo force deck.

mt0mind
11-04-2011, 05:08 PM
Really stay away from Scag Vride. They don't have it right yet!!!!
Lots of problems....I have a few crews running mowers. Go with Grandstand You'll be much happier.

PlantscapeSolutions
11-04-2011, 07:22 PM
@Plant Solutions. You may of mentioned it but what size is your Scag V-Ride? How is the quality of cut in St. Augustine and Zoysia? I am looking at either a v-ride or grandstand. I want the same cut quality as the toro turbo force deck.

I have the 36 for residential use. It's the same Advantage deck Scag used on the 36 WB's. I have two 36 Scag WB hydro's with floating decks and it cuts the same. The Kawi on the V-Ride has much better hill climbing power then my WB's but WB's can handle cross cuttings on hills better. If you work in hilly areas you really have to have at least one WB. No stand on or Z turn is ever going to hold the hills like a WB.

I think there is still some work to do to design a combo WB with a decent Velky like the Super Pro. But it needs to be able to be quickly stowed and made out of aircraft grade Aluminum and not heavy steel. I've seen the Wright WB's but they need some refining.

Years ago I had sent Velky an email about designing a Velky with a single over sized single tire to minimize turf psi. A lot of people do not like the bumpy ride of the two wheeled Sulkys. Now the Velky has the Super Pro but for some reason my consulting checks keep getting lost in the mail.:confused:

StihlMechanic
11-04-2011, 07:30 PM
I have the 36 for residential use. It's the same Advantage deck Scag used on the 36 WB's. I have two 36 Scag WB hydro's with floating decks and it cuts the same. The Kawi on the V-Ride has much better hill climbing power then my WB's but WB's can handle cross cuttings on hills better. If you work in hilly areas you really have to have at least one WB. No stand on or Z turn is ever going to hold the hills like a WB.

I think there is still some work to do to design a combo WB with a decent Velky like the Super Pro. But it needs to be able to be quickly stowed and made out of aircraft grade Aluminum and not heavy steel. I've seen the Wright WB's but they need some refining.

Years ago I had sent Velky an email about designing a Velky with a single over sized single tire to minimize turf psi. A lot of people do not like the bumpy ride of the two wheeled Sulkys. Now the Velky has the Super Pro but for some reason my consulting checks keep getting lost in the mail.:confused:

The mower I have now (G3 toro Z 60 inch) holds hills like glue. That is a concern of mine about a stander. I plan to demo a V-ride and a grandstand next week. I basically love my mower but need a 52 or maybe even a 48. The properties I maintain are large high end residential with dense trees, obstacles like beds. The turbo force deck is awesome on SA and zoysia. I usually don't mow scrub or pasture grasses so cut quality is important. Anyone cut warm season grasses with the 48-52 velocity deck?

djagusch
11-04-2011, 08:17 PM
Really stay away from Scag Vride. They don't have it right yet!!!!
Lots of problems....I have a few crews running mowers. Go with Grandstand You'll be much happier.

Read the whole thread you started. You are in the minority here. I think your dealer is more of the problem than the product.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
11-04-2011, 08:24 PM
We are in the northeast and really like our v rides. Good cut, speed, and scag bulletproof. Good luck with your choice.
Posted via Mobile Device

PlantscapeSolutions
11-04-2011, 08:45 PM
pretty much, i love guys that blame manufacturers for things they did not make, just installed. the vride is not bad for the hydros, though i think they suck for comfort and strength. guy here broke his frame, and it was not abused. i think the frames are not strong enough and they scalp big time.

Wouldn't you think scalping is more of a byproduct of someone using a 48' or larger mower on a yard meant for a 36"? I see yahoo's using Z turns on yards all the time where using anything but a 36 is just plain stupid. Too many guys care more about sitting on their azz all day then quality or production.

tillerkiller
11-04-2011, 09:31 PM
Best mower ever.

Power, speed, maneuverability, nice cut, and no clumping. The only downside is that they are not a substitute for a walk behind around a pond or extremely steep hill.

I have to agree about the scalping. You have to know exactly how to use the mower to keep it from scalping in certain areas. Also experienced the o-ring issue, on more than one occasion.

StihlMechanic
11-04-2011, 10:35 PM
Scalping? Seems to be a common issue. Are we adjusting the gauge wheels? Using on areas that are sloped needing a smaller mower? I am curious, not busting balls. I may buy this thing next week. I really need to demo one on my accounts.

sweetland
11-05-2011, 12:16 AM
We run the V-Ride and we like it a lot. The O rings went within 15 hours but once it was fixed its been good to go ever since. It's still a solid machine built well, it handles some pretty extreme hills we have, it's quick, and we love the 1/4 inch adjustments.
Posted via Mobile Device

mt0mind
11-05-2011, 07:52 AM
So from I hear, Scag Vrides have problems with the ORings. I lost alot of down-time this season running my VRides. Lost alot of money. I swithched to grandstand and wright standers and haven't had any issues. I lost faith in Scag.

tillerkiller
11-05-2011, 09:14 PM
Scalping? Seems to be a common issue. Are we adjusting the gauge wheels? Using on areas that are sloped needing a smaller mower? I am curious, not busting balls. I may buy this thing next week. I really need to demo one on my accounts.

It's always on a slope where level ground or another slope meets.

Supposedly they came out with a permanent fix for the o-rings. We've only had this problem with one of our v-rides, but we've logged over 200 hours since the fix with no issues.

PlantscapeSolutions
11-05-2011, 10:21 PM
I have the 36" and removed the folding platform, the giant pad, and the weights under the front deck. The machine is about 70-80 lbs. lighter and handles better. My 36 had two 35 lbs. weight plates under the front deck. Now the operator can lean forward more if he needs to to change the center of gravity to push it more forward of the wheels. Has anyone else done this? To me hauling around 80 lbs. of extra weight just didn't make sense. I'm wondering if the bigger decks have no extra weights or smaller one since the deck weighs more.