PDA

View Full Version : Scalping bermuda?

Bama Lawn
10-24-2011, 09:43 AM
Just got a 36 V ride having scalping issues on a bermuda yard at 2 1/4". I haven't rode the mower much, but I have less scalping with my 61" turf tiger. Anyone have any suggestions or had this problem with a V ride?

LLandscaping
10-24-2011, 08:50 PM
I would start with checking your tire pressure. Then measure the deck on a level hard surface. I have demoed a v-ride and the one I used was a 36 and it cut fine. I only used one for a few days so I have limited experience with one. I have 3 Scag Turf Tigers. You might also try switching blades maybe you have a bent one.

StihlMechanic
10-24-2011, 09:04 PM
Thats pretty low, did you adjust the scalp wheels? The factory usually puts the scalp wheels in the highest position, for 2 1/4 they would need to be lowered. Check with the manual or the deck may have a decal indicating the setting for this height of cut.

Bama Lawn
10-25-2011, 09:37 AM
Thanks, I will check it.

Turf Dawg
10-25-2011, 11:32 AM
Actually cutting Bermuda at 2.25" is pretty high. It causes a lot of stem growth and will lay down in a patteren when mowed in one dirrection. I will bet since you went fron a 61" down to a 36" you are cutting against the grain and with the narrow deck you are following the ground closer and hitting more high spots. After a few cuttings your problems should go away till you change size mowers again. When I start to scalp Bermuda for overseeding I always change dirrections and go against the grain and even just a tad shorter for the first pass looks like you dropped the mower all the way down.
Posted via Mobile Device