PDA

View Full Version : DCV replacement

greenmonster304
10-24-2011, 10:05 PM
Today we replaced a sh!ty DCV and re-piped the feed to it and installed a curb stop valve. Supposedly they original was tested every year but I find that hard to believe when the handles were missing and the thing was buried in dirt. It was a mess, it had a blow out before the DCV, soldered fittings below grade, no way to drain between meter and #1 shutoff, PVC between meter and DCV (local code says K copper only), and Rube Goldberg piping.

I was a little disappointed in how the clean up went but the grass was sh!ty and just fell apart so I couldn't save it. The meter pit was full of water for some reason so I was glad i brought my 2 stroke mini trash pump. It went ok we started around 9 and left by 4 with a 10 min lunch. It would have gone faster but this was some of the most compacted soil i have ever seen it really beat us up.

txirrigation
10-24-2011, 10:12 PM
No WYE strainer? No schd 80 threaded nipple on down stream side? Iso Valve?

Just kidding had a Kiril moment... but all should be included... bc Kiril is usually right.

txirrigation
10-24-2011, 10:14 PM
We have the same service truck ideas though. Except we have pipe racks on ours, and they are f-250's.

greenmonster304
10-24-2011, 10:17 PM
No WYE strainer? No schd 80 threaded nipple on down stream side? Iso Valve?

Just kidding had a Kiril moment... but all should be included... bc Kiril is usually right.

Not my design. The guy gave me a box of parts In the morning and that was it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sprinkus
10-24-2011, 10:21 PM
bc Kiril is usually right.

The political forum is here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIyixC9NsLI).

txirrigation
10-24-2011, 10:25 PM
Not my design. The guy gave me a box of parts In the morning and that was it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Just giving you a hard time, it looks good. Most importantly it works, I hate commercial backflows bc they are always located on a dang island with three feet to work with.

txirrigation
10-24-2011, 10:26 PM
The political forum is here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIyixC9NsLI).

Trust me, had a little vomit in my mouth when I pushed submit.

Sprinkus
10-24-2011, 10:31 PM
Job and truck look good to me,
Well done dude of greeness! :)

Mike Leary
10-24-2011, 10:32 PM
If that was ever tested, I'd love to see the results. I wrote Wye strainers out of my regs because too many dorks came back and installed faucets at the front end to drain the strainer and up stream, which, in my mind, was a cross-connection.

mitchgo
10-25-2011, 01:07 AM
I showed our stoner programmer for our database today the badger badger badger. He found some blue ring mushrooms in someones yard? ( Which he informed me what they were) and ate them and then for the rest of the day he was saying ' badger badger badger badger badger'

jimmyburg
10-25-2011, 03:40 PM
I like that work truck; I have been looking for a good used one.

Wet_Boots
10-25-2011, 05:28 PM
Are there going to be cover bolts on the valve box? I had some success with pulling off the meter pit covers, and running the system feed out the side, instead of under the pit and back up.

greenmonster304
10-25-2011, 06:57 PM
Are there going to be cover bolts on the valve box? I had some success with pulling off the meter pit covers, and running the system feed out the side, instead of under the pit and back up.

Yes there are bolts in it. In that area I would expect theft may be a problem. It was the furthest I have gone for a job, 50 miles to Commack.
Posted via Mobile Device

Waterit
10-25-2011, 07:19 PM
I can't believe they let y'all bury those things like that.

IF they let you bury it at all here in Backasswardsland, you have to double-box it (one above, one below lined with filter cloth and filled with gravel) or put in a concrete pit. And the test cocks have to point up and be plugged.

Most municipalities require 12" above grade with galvanized legs.

jvanvliet
10-25-2011, 07:31 PM

IF they let you bury it at all here in Backasswardsland, you have to double-box it (one above, one below lined with filter cloth and filled with gravel) or put in a concrete pit. And the test cocks have to point up and be plugged.

I saw the pics and said WTF? We have to install them 12" above the highest outlet or water level, altough we can use SCD 40. Absolutly no cross connections!

greenmonster304
10-25-2011, 07:33 PM

That one does have cloth and gravel, single box though. It will also get elbows with caps for the ports when it is tested.
Posted via Mobile Device

Waterit
10-26-2011, 11:15 AM
That one does have cloth and gravel, single box though. It will also get elbows with caps for the ports when it is tested.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nice!

One thing we do get away with down here - PVC instead of copper on the feed side...