PDA

View Full Version : Is this mower a good buy?

pattytastik
10-24-2011, 09:33 PM
I have been mowing 20-60 lawns (started around 20 and have grown to 60) in the past 5 years (12 years old-17 years old) with 21in mowers (toro super recycler). I have been very happy with the mower because I mow city-sized lawns (very small). I have spoken with a few local LCO's and they say that anything bigger than 36'' just too big for these sized lawns (and I agree). So I am considering stepping up to a 36in for next year. I want to down the line get a exmark or scag but money is a bit tight with college savings and such and do not want to take a loan out for one. Would the following mower do well in a commercial setting? I mow around 30 a week (bi-weekly lawns).

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/grd/2666116378.html

McG_Landscaping
10-24-2011, 09:44 PM
I have been mowing 20-60 lawns (started around 20 and have grown to 60) in the past 5 years (12 years old-17 years old) with 21in mowers (toro super recycler). I have been very happy with the mower because I mow city-sized lawns (very small). I have spoken with a few local LCO's and they say that anything bigger than 36'' just too big for these sized lawns (and I agree). So I am considering stepping up to a 36in for next year. I want to down the line get a exmark or scag but money is a bit tight with college savings and such and do not want to take a loan out for one. Would the following mower do well in a commercial setting? I mow around 30 a week (bi-weekly lawns).

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/grd/2666116378.html

Doesn't look bad but honestly I'd look for a hydro. If your working with minimal space it'll be much easier to maneuver

WJC
10-24-2011, 09:48 PM
I hate to see anyone buy a belt drive mower because they are a lot more work then a Hydro. If you are doing those small yards then you will probably be pulling back on it quite a bit, which is a lot more work. I would suggest waiting until you can find a deal on a Hydro unit. I hate my belt drive 36" for that reason.

metro36
10-25-2011, 08:28 AM
Well first off, what is your budget?

A hydro would be best for smaller tight yards. Having real reverse makes them so much easier to manuever. I run a hydro walkbehind now but I have run belts in the past. They aren't that bad, but they are certiantly slower and tire you out more after cutting small properties all day long.

944own
10-25-2011, 08:40 AM
I cut most of my yards with a 60 ztr and I have a couple small gated back yards I used to cut with a 21. I found a good deal on a belt drive 32 walk behind and it sucked so bad with no reverse it just sat in my garage until I sold it. I found a deal on a 36 hydro a few months ago and I never hesitate to use it on these yards it is like night and day. The belt drive is like running a tiller I see you are young so maybe you can handle it but for me it was too much work. Look for a hydro.