PDA

View Full Version : My Plan

AkJohn
10-24-2011, 11:30 PM
Hello all let me first say i love this site been doing a lot of research lately

I have been doing lawn care for about 3 years as a crew leader and i have come to the point where i want to run my own company.

I plan on just starting as a one man crew untill i gain enough clients

I just baught a 2004 silverado 1500 and i should have around 6,000 for equipment
I live in Anchorage AK and most of the lawns in my target area are small to medium so im sure i can get away with a 21'' to start anyway

My thing's to buy list

1.insurance
2.Honda 21''
3. Stihl or Honda trimmer
4. probably the Stihl br600 back pack blower
5. a trailer

besides the insurance i should be able to get equipment for right around 3,000
cheaper if i can find a deal on craigslist but i dont see commercial equipment on there very often.that leaves the other 3,000 for extra blades,filters,gas can's trim line and marketing oh yea and insurance to waiting on a quote for that

is there anything i may be forgetting i want to do this right

ReddensLawnCare
10-25-2011, 01:30 AM
Might want to get some forthe snow this time of year lol
Posted via Mobile Device

AkJohn
10-25-2011, 01:44 AM
Im still working for another company this year since i wont have the funds till right around December plus ive never done snow removal before i know it cant be that hard but it will give me a edge on bidding job and what not

THIESSENS TLC
10-25-2011, 03:29 AM
Operate out of the back of your truck instead of getting a trailer for a 21" mower. Wait until you get more money and bigger properties, then get the trailer. You will then need it for a zt.

AkJohn
10-25-2011, 02:20 PM
i was considering that as well
I did get a website up I'm sure it has some error's in it ill have to double check it
http://cuttingedgelawncare-ak.com/index.html

also it seems every single company up here uses the 21'' Honda's Should i fallow there lead and do the same or is there some other options i should consider as well

I think I'm forced to go with Stihl blowers as I'm not sure there's any other dealer in the area

32vld
10-25-2011, 06:59 PM
I would wait on the trailer. Cabella's sells metal ends that bolt onto 2x8 or 2x10 and turns them into ramps.

How small is small? Sf please? How long does it take to do these small lawns?
Do people have gates fences or are the properties open so you can use larger mowers?

Not pro or con on Hondas. But remember whatever brand you buy make sure there is a dealer that can locally service them.

After two weeks once the lawn growing season is over what would you do till next summer?

AkJohn
10-25-2011, 07:35 PM
not sure on the footage but i should be able to get one done in 30 to 40 minutes by my self most back yards are gated 36 to 40 inches just guessing there some with wide gates you could back a truck into

my currant company uses a 48'' walk behind and just on my route for the week ill do probably 70 lawn's and ill use the 48'' 12 to 15 times per week

i was thinking a 36'' would get a lot more use and that would probably one of my next investments when some money start's rolling in

as for the off season ill probably pick up a couple snow blowers

AkJohn
10-28-2011, 04:01 AM
Anyone have any advice on accepting credit cards? I found this site https://ipayment.secure.force.com/?referrer=pms-fatcow&track=em-ecom201110
not sure if there are any better way's of doing it

dontsayit_sprayit
10-28-2011, 07:25 PM
i didnt see any contact info on your website? i dont know if that matters or not. also, i wouldnt lime in the spring time...

Aaronnc
10-31-2011, 11:49 PM
Anyone have any advice on accepting credit cards?

You can google "Cheapest way to accept credit cards" and read for weeks. The traditional method is starting up a Merchant Account with whoever you bank with. Preferably with whoever your business account is with, if you have one. Wells-Fargo: https://www.wellsfargo.com/biz/merchant/options/gateways/ima/index Fees will vary.

Also, software like "Service Autopilot" will let you accept online credit/debit payments. http://www.lawnservicesoftware.com/ Runs $30-$80 a month. (It also offers a WHOLE lot more, so you can check out their different services and everything it entails.)

Lastly, if you own a smartphone, their are different "readers" you can attach and swipe a card right there onsite.
ProPay (Wells-Fargo): http://www.propay.com/
Square: https://squareup.com/?gclid=CKDW_caxlKwCFY9b7Aod3meLng
Fees Vary, but the ProPay "flash reader" looks to have the lowest rates. You swipe the card, and it stores 71 transactions, and then when you get back home, you upload it to your computer and get paid.

Good Luck.

DIXIECONTRACTING
11-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Operate out of the back of your truck instead of getting a trailer for a 21" mower. Wait until you get more money and bigger properties, then get the trailer. You will then need it for a zt.

I totally agree I used to put my walk behind and my 21" in truck bed and saved me on fuel also.

JBNC
11-01-2011, 10:24 PM
The website could use some work, needs some major spelling/grammar corrections for starters. Some pictures might help as well.

THIESSENS TLC
11-02-2011, 03:29 AM
I totally agree I used to put my walk behind and my 21" in truck bed and saved me on fuel also.

I save lots of fuel not hauling around a trailer, these are some of the most efficient set-ups!

Jobber
11-03-2011, 02:41 PM
You might want to also consider a solid software program to manage your business. There are a few options out there, but at Jobber we're pretty dedicated to doing whatever we can to help our users succeed. Take the software for a spin www.getjobber.com and let me know what you think! Staying organized and efficient can be the difference between being successful or not - Jobber can help!

AkJohn
11-05-2011, 02:41 AM
Working out of the truck is probably a good idea It may be a little of a pain during clean up's on yards where i have to haul off the bag's but probably not to bad

I did go through my site and hopefully fixed the errors as far as picture's i do plan on adding them in the spring once i have yard's to take picture's of i just want it to be pictures of my work

ralph02813
11-05-2011, 04:57 AM
@akjohn - I agree, skip the trailer for now, build your ramps, get a good blower and a good trimmer to skimp - I am not sure on the mower a lot of guys like the honda, its still a home owners rig and I rarely see them on anybodys trailer. around here I ran around behind a 21 ferris I bought it cause it was a high vac machine - although it is a commercial mower and has great power the decking is light, too light. I guess bottom line is buy what can be supported locally. When you are jammed up and something goes you need your dealer to be there to support, I worked out of the back of my truck usiing the ramps made out of 2 x8 with the aluminum ends for my first 4 years. I added angle iron braces when I bought my ferris 36 its a little squirrely, but it works I am about to order an enclosed trailer. I use quickbooks for my billing I subscribed rather than buy the software out right - I have been using in for abou 20 years all together I bought and have been using the 2004 version until this year. You can print to mail invoices or send them via email, you can also add their credit card services, of all the subscriptions I found it to be the least expensive.

BPS##
11-05-2011, 08:54 AM
Anyone have any advice on accepting credit cards?

Don't.

I see no need to worry about that just starting up.

Then again I only get 1 maybe 2 requests per year for accepting CCs.
That IS NOT enough to justify the expense.
Pay me cash or check. If you write a bad check I have a collection agency that will make a bad habit out of you.

Unless you see the company you work for swiping a lot of times I wouldn't worry about it until you get asked for it.
Its extra expense you don't need right now.