PDA

View Full Version : Wright Stander

godjwood
10-25-2011, 12:42 PM
Hows it going guys? I need someone experienced using different equipment's opinion.

We have always used hydro walk behinds (ferris) and this season i bought a 52" wright stander.

My employees complained that it did a poor cut (ferris cut better). I thought maybe they were mowing too fast but they don't think that is why.

They also complained it was tiring to stand on it all day, hurt their legs. Even after I disabled the safety so they didnt have to lean into it.

Is this true? Does the Wright suck? I mean it cuts way faster than the ferris'.

The reason I ask is I am thinking about getting another one today for my other trailer. Are there other zero turn mowers that are better?

Thanks!

godjwood
10-25-2011, 01:31 PM
also they say that it tears up the grass a lot when turning..

Patriot Services
10-25-2011, 01:46 PM
Everything you mentioned is correct. Wrights take a light touch when making turns. If its a fixed deck the cut could suffer too. I only run mine when I need to fit through a gate. The older I get the idea of a fully sprung ferris sounds better and better.
Posted via Mobile Device

godjwood
10-25-2011, 02:24 PM
Hows it going guys? I need someone experienced using different equipment's opinion.

We have always used hydro walk behinds (ferris) and this season i bought a 52" wright stander.

My employees complained that it did a poor cut (ferris cut better). I thought maybe they were mowing too fast but they don't think that is why.

They also complained it was tiring to stand on it all day, hurt their legs. Even after I disabled the safety so they didnt have to lean into it.

The reason I ask is I am thinking about getting another one today for my other trailer. Are there other zero turn mowers that are better?

Thanks!

Everything you mentioned is correct. Wrights take a light touch when making turns. If its a fixed deck the cut could suffer too. I only run mine when I need to fit through a gate. The older I get the idea of a fully sprung ferris sounds better and better.
Posted via Mobile Device

I dont think im going to get the wright.. all my employees say no. They love the ferris/sulky combo. I don't like it because it is so much maintenance, so many moving parts.. I really like the wright but im not the one using it every day.. plus quality of cut is very important of course.

dutchacres
10-25-2011, 07:09 PM
Look into the ferris stand on. Looks kinda dorky but who cares if it is comfy and gets the job done. Stand on mowers are the way to go in my opinion I wish I would have gotten one instead of my POS Scab Pro V! I swear I don't know why people think Scab is such a good mower cuts like crap tons of problems and it has less than a 100 hours on it.
Posted via Mobile Device

j-ville native
10-25-2011, 08:02 PM
Look into the ferris stand on. Looks kinda dorky but who cares if it is comfy and gets the job done. Stand on mowers are the way to go in my opinion I wish I would have gotten one instead of my POS Scab Pro V! I swear I don't know why people think Scab is such a good mower cuts like crap tons of problems and it has less than a 100 hours on it.
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't think ferris has a stand on. If you're talking about the evolution, that's not a stand on.

DR J
10-25-2011, 09:09 PM
may want to look at wright sentar sport has been a great unit here in austin for use, also scag v ride both nice pieces of equipment. your guys will have to learn the touch on a wright, heavier because you are on the machine, diff. than trad. walk behinds. Ferris has had mixed reviews here.

WJC
10-25-2011, 09:33 PM

Thanks!

Are you talking about a fixed deck, a RH deck or a stander x ? They all perform differently.

Zak's Pro. Lawn Care
10-25-2011, 09:46 PM
i run a 48 inch great dane super surfer II with a 19HP kawa. It only weighs 720lbs which makes it less likely to tear up turf when turning. i do think your employess are just so used to the ferris walkbehind and havent gotten used to a stander(zero turn) yet...3 point turns! the ferris 'stander' you are talking about is the Evolution which IMO is a POS and is not a real stander you must sit on a seat the entire time and the seat is like sitting on a racing motorcycle...not comfortable. if you were worried about cut quailty and tearing up turf when turing the ferris is terrible and you would be better off with the wright. i demoed the ferris evolution for 5 days and hated every minute of it except for the transport speed is very fast. if you are really looking for another stander you should check out the Great Dane super surfer, scag v-ride, wright stander...make sure you are using floating decks if you have a fixed deck this is your problem. fixed decks have terrible cut quality and weigh more.

unkownfl
10-25-2011, 10:34 PM
i run a 48 inch great dane super surfer II with a 19HP kawa. It only weighs 720lbs which makes it less likely to tear up turf when turning. i do think your employess are just so used to the ferris walkbehind and havent gotten used to a stander(zero turn) yet...3 point turns! the ferris 'stander' you are talking about is the Evolution which IMO is a POS and is not a real stander you must sit on a seat the entire time and the seat is like sitting on a racing motorcycle...not comfortable. if you were worried about cut quailty and tearing up turf when turing the ferris is terrible and you would be better off with the wright. i demoed the ferris evolution for 5 days and hated every minute of it except for the transport speed is very fast. if you are really looking for another stander you should check out the Great Dane super surfer, scag v-ride, wright stander...make sure you are using floating decks if you have a fixed deck this is your problem. fixed decks have terrible cut quality and weigh more.

That Great Dane is 900lbs floating or 850lbs fixed Secondly, it has 20x8 inch tires compared to the 820lbs fixed and 20x10 tires on the Wright or 750lbs rapid height with 18x10.5 tires on it. You can't get a Great Dane new and would have to settle for a Gravely or Deere or maybe this is the last year. (Same mower on the Gravely or same mower with a Deere deck on the Deere)
No dealer support in the future and parts are already to a point where you can't just get one part you have to buy a whole assemble. The Great Dane rear tires stick out so far you have absolutely zero deck to trim with on a 48. I have had the Wright Z mid mount 52, Wright stander 36, Great Dane 48. Gravely prostance 48, and a few Toro's with the 7guage and turbo force decks, Lesco Z two 60, Exmark lazer z 52, and Scag Gravely Lesco Ferris Bunton Bobcat walk behinds all 36 besides on Gravely 32. Out of all of them I liked my Wright Z the most. It was fast and cut great. Second I'd pick the Toro with the turbo force and Exmark same mower and same cut pretty much here but it was slow and Heavy! Also, the Great dane and Gravely stand ups have no way to hold on when you reverse like the Wright has the quad steer so you can just move up to the front set of controls.

What Stander do you have?

Zak's Pro. Lawn Care
10-26-2011, 01:13 AM
That Great Dane is 900lbs floating or 850lbs fixed Secondly, it has 20x8 inch tires compared to the 820lbs fixed and 20x10 tires on the Wright or 750lbs rapid height with 18x10.5 tires on it. You can't get a Great Dane new and would have to settle for a Gravely or Deere or maybe this is the last year. (Same mower on the Gravely or same mower with a Deere deck on the Deere)
No dealer support in the future and parts are already to a point where you can't just get one part you have to buy a whole assemble. The Great Dane rear tires stick out so far you have absolutely zero deck to trim with on a 48. I have had the Wright Z mid mount 52, Wright stander 36, Great Dane 48. Gravely prostance 48, and a few Toro's with the 7guage and turbo force decks, Lesco Z two 60, Exmark lazer z 52, and Scag Gravely Lesco Ferris Bunton Bobcat walk behinds all 36 besides on Gravely 32. Out of all of them I liked my Wright Z the most. It was fast and cut great. Second I'd pick the Toro with the turbo force and Exmark same mower and same cut pretty much here but it was slow and Heavy! Also, the Great dane and Gravely stand ups have no way to hold on when you reverse like the Wright has the quad steer so you can just move up to the front set of controls.

What Stander do you have?

I owned a 2003 Great Dane Super Surfer 17HP Kawasaki (1,500hrs) for 4 years and bought a 2009 Great Dane Super Surfer II 19HP Kawasaki (150hrs) this year. I love them and I have demoed Wright, Toro Grandstand, Scag V-Ride, and Ferris Evolution(not a real stander). I personally like the Great Danes over all of those and parts are very easy to come by, but 2010 was the final year for Great Dane as a company. Here are the stats on the mower...and sorry it doesn't weigh 720lbs its 735lbs.
Super Surfer Model Line

All models feature: Floating Deck
Forward Speed: 9 mph
Reverse Speed: 4.5 mph
Transmission Controls: Ergonomically correct dual handle control levers
Thermoplastic Elastomer Spring Package operator platform cushion system
Fuel Capacity: 6 US gal.
Drive Tires: 20 x 8.00-8
Castor Wheel Tires: 13 x 5.0-6
Height of Cut: 1.5 inch to 4.5 inch
Hydraulic Pumps: Hydro-Gear PG (10cc) pumps

Model Engine Size Cutting Width Length Weight
GSKA1948S 19 HP Kawasaki Kai 48 in. 59 in. 735 lb.
GSKW2352S 23 HP Kawasaki 52 in. 62 in. 750 lb.
GSKH2352S 23 HP Kohler 52 in. 65 in. 775 lb

godjwood
10-26-2011, 02:24 PM
Are you talking about a fixed deck, a RH deck or a stander x ? They all perform differently.

I have the fixed deck stander.

So the list of complaints from my employees are:

1. tears up grass on turns
2. poor cut quality
3. hard to drive over curbs etc (walk behinds they can pop up front wheels)
4. bad on hills
5. operator fatigue after all day use in the legs

things they like:
1. easy on/off
2. fast
3. not having to deal with sulky/easy reverse

I wonder if I should just get another walk behind with sulky.. I mean it has the same size deck (52), slower cutting speed which probably explains the better quality cut. The ferris WB and Wright stander both have same size deck and engine but ferris drives much faster of course it is going to have worst quality cut.

I don't see getting a different stand on or sit down solving these problems. They are still going to be bad if not worst on hills, and.. i assume.. tear up grass more easily? Seems the wrights/zero turns are better on larger properties and right now we service mostly residential, 5-15000 sqft

lawnkingforever
10-26-2011, 08:18 PM
Standers are not for everyone. They are not as agile on hills as a wb and they tear up turf in wet conditions. If I had employees I would ditch my Grandstand and run wbs.
Posted via Mobile Device

WJC
10-26-2011, 10:28 PM
I have the fixed deck stander.

So the list of complaints from my employees are:

1. tears up grass on turns
2. poor cut quality
3. hard to drive over curbs etc (walk behinds they can pop up front wheels)
4. bad on hills
5. operator fatigue after all day use in the legs

things they like:
1. easy on/off
2. fast
3. not having to deal with sulky/easy reverse

I wonder if I should just get another walk behind with sulky.. I mean it has the same size deck (52), slower cutting speed which probably explains the better quality cut. The ferris WB and Wright stander both have same size deck and engine but ferris drives much faster of course it is going to have worst quality cut.

I don't see getting a different stand on or sit down solving these problems. They are still going to be bad if not worst on hills, and.. i assume.. tear up grass more easily? Seems the wrights/zero turns are better on larger properties and right now we service mostly residential, 5-15000 sqft

You could solve the cut issue by going with a stander x. You could solve the tired legs issue by going with a sport x. I dont go over curbs so I cant comment on that. The sport and the standers are pretty good on hills and turns once you get used to them. But if your employees like walking, then I would say have at it fellows.

unkownfl
10-26-2011, 10:53 PM
The Standers do have a lot of weight on the front tires if that is where they're having issues tearing up in the turns. If it's the back tires tearing up then they need to practice a three point turn. The cut quality could be the pitch of the deck due to having to adjust the front caster spacers and not the blades them-self. Also, try moving the spacers around on the blades. Mine cut the best with blades down as far as possible so all the spacers were on top of the blades. Curbs do suck it beats up the mower too. Hills are ok but they don't hold as well as a walk behind. You could probably get a Toro grandstand demo and see how it does on hills as you can walk behind it. Also, it has a nicer deck for finer grass. Toro also has a suspension platform.

lawnkingforever
10-26-2011, 11:20 PM
The Standers do have a lot of weight on the front tires if that is where they're having issues tearing up in the turns. If it's the back tires tearing up then they need to practice a three point turn. The cut quality could be the pitch of the deck due to having to adjust the front caster spacers and not the blades them-self. Also, try moving the spacers around on the blades. Mine cut the best with blades down as far as possible so all the spacers were on top of the blades. Curbs do suck it beats up the mower too. Hills are ok but they don't hold as well as a walk behind. You could probably get a Toro grandstand demo and see how it does on hills as you can walk behind it. Also, it has a nicer deck for finer grass. Toro also has a suspension platform.

Toro likes to market the wb feature on the Grandstand and it is very misleading. I never walk behind behind it not even to put it on my trailer. The turboforce deck and the comfortable ride are a plus.
Posted via Mobile Device

unkownfl
10-26-2011, 11:25 PM
Toro likes to market the wb feature on the Grandstand and it is very misleading. I never walk behind behind it not even to put it on my trailer. The turboforce deck and the comfortable ride are a plus.
Posted via Mobile Device

I could use that feature for a few lawns where I need to push my stand up before it slides backwards down into some lakes/hills/fences some times.

I don't understand great danes weight because Gravely has the exact same machine and the weight on their site is way different than great dane. How does the floating deck weigh 130lbs lighter than a fixed deck? Double controls? I don't see that in any pictures and my Gravely only has one set behind the grab bar.

WJC
10-27-2011, 08:24 AM
I dont own a Grandstand but I would think that once you step off the platform,you would lose a lot of traction on the drive tires.

M & L
10-27-2011, 11:47 AM
First- Can I get a hell yeah Zaks...

I have what i consider a mixed bag. I run two Great Dane Super surfers (adjustable decks) and one 36 husqvarna walk behind.

one 48" 18 hp kohler
one 52" 23 hp kohler

i can hear the eeewwww kohler comment now :hammerhead: i dont agree! as they have been great.

Both machines are on the same frame etc, but very different!!
I love both of these machines. They r however different. The 48 flies through wet tall whatever and doesnt bog, controls are sloppy jaloppy, and has an extension on the rider platform. The 52 Stripes like i cant believe, and is tight and touchy like a wright ive used, and the platform is stiffer.

the 48 deck has plent of deck sticking out from tire on the left hand side to trim. the 52 sticks out both sides. So i can trim no problem.

As far as parts you can still get them just go on flea bay and youl see all sorts of stuf. That is if you dont want to go through normal suplly lines, which i recently had to do for a spindle ( dam flat grave stones ) My local shop was a GD dealer, but still gets anything i need. which honestly isnt much. not really any problems with both. lube, oil, filters,belts, blades. As with all machines maintenance is key i guess.

I dont have any problems with hills for the most part. But will say there are some that i have to use the walk behind on. I think the wider stance helps this machine hold better. Plus they are a tank. Had a kid run into the side of a car 3k later (on the car) and a grease cap on top of the front tire fork/spindle. all is well and you wouldnt know.

so now that im done with my GD rant...

Second,
I have run all of these machines plus mine above.
exmark belt drive (yuk belt drive anything)
48 ferris 19 kawi. blew gaskets all the time. but i miss that machine.
42 wright stander 19 kawi fixed deck. very touchy and didnt hold well, very bouncy
52 scag tiger cub honda doesnt like cold. fast, big and stable, 1/4 inch adjustments for height and a quick deck transport height.
52 gravely pro stance 23 kawi (GD in red paint)
48 scag vride very fast but seemed light in the front. BUT had the most comfortable platform of all, 1/4 adjustments and quick transport height.

With all of these there is a small learning curve. Teach your guys how to turn properly and they wont tear lawns.

I have been considering trading one of my standers to a sit down to avoid the stiff legs and knees, this would make my mixed bag complete, but my four commercials are 2.2 2.3 6.7 and 10 acres so thats why i get a little sore.

lastly
all of the machines have a purpose, specialty, or not so good for capability.
I love the 1/4 inch adjustments on the scags and wrights. Instead of going every other week and having to get the grass from 4" (summer) to 2.5 (winter) this extends my cutting for 3-6 weeks in the fall. Just keep droping it 1/4 and take grass off until its at a winter height, without any major height drops and or clumping because i dont bag any of my lawns except for two.

I love a sitdown because i can sit down! but i would guess after sitting all day i would have a sore back.

And walk behinds cant be beat on hills, but average 4-5 mph vrs 9-12

Analyze your lawns and see if you have hills or are mostly flat. gates not gates. wet areas or dry.

So you should work with your guys and try a mixed bag.

your in South county, Go to Pats power and ask for some demos.
A friend just had wright build there new sit down and he demoed it for about a week. He loved it but he said it was stoopid fast and he was to tall for it.
hes about 6 ft so i belive it.

godjwood
10-27-2011, 08:31 PM
First- Can I get a hell yeah Zaks...

I have what i consider a mixed bag. I run two Great Dane Super surfers (adjustable decks) and one 36 husqvarna walk behind.

one 48" 18 hp kohler
one 52" 23 hp kohler

i can hear the eeewwww kohler comment now :hammerhead: i dont agree! as they have been great.

Both machines are on the same frame etc, but very different!!
I love both of these machines. They r however different. The 48 flies through wet tall whatever and doesnt bog, controls are sloppy jaloppy, and has an extension on the rider platform. The 52 Stripes like i cant believe, and is tight and touchy like a wright ive used, and the platform is stiffer.

the 48 deck has plent of deck sticking out from tire on the left hand side to trim. the 52 sticks out both sides. So i can trim no problem.

As far as parts you can still get them just go on flea bay and youl see all sorts of stuf. That is if you dont want to go through normal suplly lines, which i recently had to do for a spindle ( dam flat grave stones ) My local shop was a GD dealer, but still gets anything i need. which honestly isnt much. not really any problems with both. lube, oil, filters,belts, blades. As with all machines maintenance is key i guess.

I dont have any problems with hills for the most part. But will say there are some that i have to use the walk behind on. I think the wider stance helps this machine hold better. Plus they are a tank. Had a kid run into the side of a car 3k later (on the car) and a grease cap on top of the front tire fork/spindle. all is well and you wouldnt know.

so now that im done with my GD rant...

Second,
I have run all of these machines plus mine above.
exmark belt drive (yuk belt drive anything)
48 ferris 19 kawi. blew gaskets all the time. but i miss that machine.
42 wright stander 19 kawi fixed deck. very touchy and didnt hold well, very bouncy
52 scag tiger cub honda doesnt like cold. fast, big and stable, 1/4 inch adjustments for height and a quick deck transport height.
52 gravely pro stance 23 kawi (GD in red paint)
48 scag vride very fast but seemed light in the front. BUT had the most comfortable platform of all, 1/4 adjustments and quick transport height.

With all of these there is a small learning curve. Teach your guys how to turn properly and they wont tear lawns.

I have been considering trading one of my standers to a sit down to avoid the stiff legs and knees, this would make my mixed bag complete, but my four commercials are 2.2 2.3 6.7 and 10 acres so thats why i get a little sore.

lastly
all of the machines have a purpose, specialty, or not so good for capability.
I love the 1/4 inch adjustments on the scags and wrights. Instead of going every other week and having to get the grass from 4" (summer) to 2.5 (winter) this extends my cutting for 3-6 weeks in the fall. Just keep droping it 1/4 and take grass off until its at a winter height, without any major height drops and or clumping because i dont bag any of my lawns except for two.

I love a sitdown because i can sit down! but i would guess after sitting all day i would have a sore back.

And walk behinds cant be beat on hills, but average 4-5 mph vrs 9-12

Analyze your lawns and see if you have hills or are mostly flat. gates not gates. wet areas or dry.

So you should work with your guys and try a mixed bag.

your in South county, Go to Pats power and ask for some demos.
A friend just had wright build there new sit down and he demoed it for about a week. He loved it but he said it was stoopid fast and he was to tall for it.
hes about 6 ft so i belive it.

hey thanks for the input. i did ask pats power about demoing the stander x and they were willing to do it, i do a lot of business there. but i dont see a real need- i cant see it being that different than the regular stander?

so im thinking, i have about 4 days of lawns down in narragansett.. smaller properties, probably better with a WB? then i have about 2 days of lawns in kingston/north kingstown/EG.. bigger properties. perhaps I should leave that crew outfitted w/ the stander and then get a new WB for the crew doing the smaller accounts in narragansett? i really just wanted to simplify things and get 2 of the same set ups.. i just bought the jrco leaf plow for my wright, and the wright i was interested in is a 2009 with 450 hours for 5k with the plow.. so i would have two of the same set ups and same year machines which would be nice..

M & L
03-03-2012, 12:02 AM
how did you make out??
Did you ever demo anything?

I just bought a scag tiger cat to complete my mixed bag. Couldnt resist 0% for 4 years!
so now i have a walk 2 standers and 1 sit.

Mike.