PDA

View Full Version : looking at a WB scag 48

FullMoonLandscaping
10-25-2011, 02:05 PM
it has been used residentially and commercial, no hour meter, guy says it runs and cuts, needs some tlc, like new tire, maybe weld the deck, carb clean, and paint/good wash
has a 17 kawi motor. I'm going to a compression test to see if its any good

are these motors good?
any problem areas to look for?
how much should i look to spend?

RSK Property Maintenance
10-25-2011, 03:08 PM
figure out what deck it has on it, and what year it is. like if the deck is slanted then it has an advantage deck, if there's no slant its the older style which still cut great but that means its older then 2003 or 02. if its hydro i would pay around 1000 maybe, depends on how beat up it is really. wouldn't waste time with a belt drive walk behind.

FullMoonLandscaping
10-25-2011, 06:43 PM
its not an advantage so its an older one
what are the downfalls of a belt driven one

RSK Property Maintenance
10-25-2011, 07:12 PM
Belt drive can slip on hills which can be dangerous, and they have transmissions which wear out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Snapper Jack
10-25-2011, 08:08 PM
Belt drive can slip on hills which can be dangerous, and they have transmissions which wear out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes,belts can slip but if you want more grip you simply get a can belt conditioner and spry the crap out of them,let'em dry over nite,install and hang on. Transmissions and hydrostatics all have one thing in common,they both eventually wear out with belt drives being the less costly of the two to repair

FullMoonLandscaping
10-25-2011, 08:59 PM
its an hydro model with a 17 kaki and 48 cut,the seller says it needs a carb clean a new from tire and some welding on the deck, not sure what, some tlc he is asking 400 should i pick it up and fix it. how much are motors for it. thanks

Snapper Jack
10-25-2011, 11:04 PM
its an hydro model with a 17 kaki and 48 cut,the seller says it needs a carb clean a new from tire and some welding on the deck, not sure what, some tlc he is asking 400 should i pick it up and fix it. how much are motors for it. thanks
For me, the cracks in the deck would be a red flag,meaning a stationary object was the main contributor,at least that's my opinion. If it's not fully operational to view the cutting action,move on would be my suggestion cuz $400 is $400 that could be put towards a better machine.

RSK Property Maintenance
10-25-2011, 11:31 PM
Find out when the last time it was used. I got a scag 52 hydro walk behind for free and 575 dollars it runs like new after the carb. Was replaced headgasket, starter, starter solenoid and some wiring.
Posted via Mobile Device

FullMoonLandscaping
10-26-2011, 12:40 PM
i was used sunday to cut,, should i get a compression check