PDA

View Full Version : Grasshopper 227 used...hrs?

jnewton_7
10-25-2011, 03:10 PM
Hey guys I'm looking at a grasshopper 227, kohler 61" that has around 1500 hrs on it. It was used commercially, whereas I would only be using it on my own lawn which is about 4 acres. Its still on its first engine and was wondering if the motor was close to life end or not. The guy says it was maintained religiously. it comes with a bagger system as well.....for $2700. What ya think?

retrodog
10-25-2011, 05:05 PM
Hey guys I'm looking at a grasshopper 227, kohler 61" that has around 1500 hrs on it. It was used commercially, whereas I would only be using it on my own lawn which is about 4 acres. Its still on its first engine and was wondering if the motor was close to life end or not. The guy says it was maintained religiously. it comes with a bagger system as well.....for $2700. What ya think?

Sounds like a good deal, listen for bearings, pulleys, feel hydros for over 15 minutes to make sure they aren't going out, listen to motor very closely while loaded. Find out what year it was made (if its very old, it should be even cheaper). What you run into on these 1000+ hour machines, is they will nickle and dime you to death. Make sure its 100% before you purchase. A hydro can be going out, but you won't feel it till after they get hot. Grasshopper parts are pretty expensive, so just don't go into it having to fix anything...its ok as long as it happens to you after a season (not the first week...lol). Make sure you are handy, or have a shade tree mechanic thats a buddy, our GH shops here charge small fortunes to touch the older models.... The new ones are so much nicer, they have gone through many changes in the past 4 to 5 years....

groundskeeperllc
10-25-2011, 05:20 PM
That is an absolute steal. I sold my 227 61" this past spring with 3500hours for $3200 without the bagger. Those Horizontal engines will last twice as long a a vertical shaft engine. The Bagger alone if metal new is $2500. The hyrdros on the Grasshoppers are good for longer than the engine will last. I have been running Grasshoppers for 5 years now and I"m on my 4th Grasshopper and never once have had any Problems with hydros. That mower is just getting broke in and should last a homeowner for many years to come.

StanWilhite
10-25-2011, 07:09 PM
That is an absolute steal. I sold my 227 61" this past spring with 3500hours for $3200 without the bagger. Those Horizontal engines will last twice as long a a vertical shaft engine. The Bagger alone if metal new is $2500. The hyrdros on the Grasshoppers are good for longer than the engine will last. I have been running Grasshoppers for 5 years now and I"m on my 4th Grasshopper and never once have had any Problems with hydros. That mower is just getting broke in and should last a homeowner for many years to come.

Is it pretty well agreed that a horizontal shaft engine will last longer that a vertical? If it is, why will the hor. last longer?
Thanks, Stan

jnewton_7
10-26-2011, 11:31 AM
Thx for the info! I went and checked it out last night. It seemed like a solid mower from what i could tell, everything felt good driving it....it actually had more hours than he thought tho....it was right over 2000 which scares me a little. The bagger is metal and worked great. Tough choice!