PDA

View Full Version : JD925A or JD925A EFI or Toro G3 High Performance

jsr0172
10-25-2011, 03:37 PM
I am looking to upgrade my mower equipment and due to dealer selection am limited to JD and Toro. Currently i use a Toro Z400 and it is a nice machine... I am looking at the JD925 and EFI and the Toro G3 as my first choices. Can anyone offer any info on these I have read nearly every post that is already online but I have not seen much on the Toro and normally the Toro guys are first to beat their chests. It sounds like JD has made a nice machine and is that why there is no response from Toro users?

StihlMechanic
10-25-2011, 04:00 PM
I have a Toro G3. I love it. Turbo Force deck mows great. If you repair your own equipment this thing is service friendly. Great warranty. I used to repair JD's so I personally dont like them mechanically. They always had electrical issues. I cant speak for the 900 series as it came out after I stopped turning wrenches at the JD dealer.

jsr0172
10-25-2011, 05:45 PM
I agree on the maintenance. I even do the labor part of warranty problems to limit my down time. How is your fuel consumption with the G3?
Posted via Mobile Device

dutchacres
10-25-2011, 06:02 PM
I run Deere 930s and do all my own maintenance as I just changed the oil in mine about an hour ago and they are cake to service. Blade changes are a breeze and the deck stays so clean it is unbelievable. I scrapped mine last night and I hadn't touched it for a month and didn't even get a scoop shovel full of stuff and I been mulching wet leaves like crazy. What size deck are you considering? I have a 60" MOD and mine has plenty of power most times. On that machine I know you can get 54", 54" MOD and a 60". If you are going to discharge with the 60" I think you would be fine but I would step up to atleast the 930 for a 60". Can't go wrong with the 54's on that machine. The efi is the way to go it sounds like guys love them. I used a toro g3 the other day and it seemed ok but I like my Deere a ton better. I think the 7 iron pro deck is the best out there hands down!
Posted via Mobile Device

williams lcm
10-25-2011, 06:17 PM
JD 900 series is an excellent machine. Amazing cut quality and hill side stability. I love the turn dial deck adjustment. Demo them both and see what one you like.

TLS
10-25-2011, 06:27 PM
Why does JD use the detuned version of the 29EFI Kohler?

HP sells, not only is it 2hp less, it's down on torque as well.

mowerbrad
10-25-2011, 08:55 PM
Why does JD use the detuned version of the 29EFI Kohler?

HP sells, not only is it 2hp less, it's down on torque as well.

The current EFI model that is out, is basically their "guinea pig" machine to see how well the EFI engines do on their machine (if people will actually purchase the EFI's more). At any rate, they placed the EFI engine on a popular/mid-series model that would have the largest customer base (not too many people purchasing 960' or 970's). The 925's use a 27hp engine, so it only makes sense that the EFI engine used on the 925 was the same HP.

Give it a little time and you will see other EFI engines offered on the 900 series mowers.

mowerbrad
10-25-2011, 09:02 PM
Also, just as an FYI...

If you look at the Z925 and the Z925EFI, you will notice in the spec's that the weight of the EFI version is actually less than that of the standard unit. The standard unit weighs about 1400 pounds, the EFI version weighs in at about 1300.

jsr0172
10-25-2011, 11:54 PM
@mowerbrad - Why would the unit weights be different unless the Kohler engine weighs less than the Kawi? I like the EFI to reduce the ethanol issues and save some fuel, but I like the Kawi engines. The MOD deck is weighing heavily into my decision. And not to forget the Toro is still in the equation... If the Toro offered a MOD i think the deal would be done. Brad, I see that you have a 925A MOD... I like that mower but am concerned that the trim edge does not set out very far. Do you have any issues with this not being adequate?

TLS
10-26-2011, 07:51 AM
I hear you with regard to the keeping the numbers the same. But if I'm trying to get the public to "like" EFI, I'd want it to have the most power available!

There is no downside to EFI

It's just not available on Kohler Big Blocks yet :cry:

mowerbrad
10-26-2011, 04:24 PM
@mowerbrad - Why would the unit weights be different unless the Kohler engine weighs less than the Kawi? I like the EFI to reduce the ethanol issues and save some fuel, but I like the Kawi engines. The MOD deck is weighing heavily into my decision. And not to forget the Toro is still in the equation... If the Toro offered a MOD i think the deal would be done. Brad, I see that you have a 925A MOD... I like that mower but am concerned that the trim edge does not set out very far. Do you have any issues with this not being adequate?

I really couldn't tell you why the EFI model weighs less than its non-EFI counter-part other than the fact that the engines must weigh quite a bit less.

As far as the trim edge goes, I can get close enough to most things that I don't even notice any difference. I've always had mowers that had minimal trim edges, so I've grown accustomed to that and it seems "normal" to me now compared to mowers I've used with a larger overhang on the trim side. I really don't spend much (if any) extra time trimming. It hangs over enough that I can get pretty dang close to fences and along edges of landscape beds.

Love my MOD deck, that is pretty much what sealed the deal when I was looking to purchase a 900 series mower.

If you can schedule a demo, you will be able to judge for yourself, but I don't think it will be much of a problem.

cutbetterthanyou
10-26-2011, 05:21 PM
I don't know if you are buy out right or making payments ,but i heard JD is running 0% right now, something to consider. Does anyone know if toro ever runs 0%? I haven't ran a deere yet, but a buddy of mine has a g3 toro i like it alot, its fast too. Hustler claims 15mph, but i can tell you, his g3 is as fast or faster than my super z.

Ridin' Green
10-26-2011, 07:42 PM
Brad, I see that you have a 925A MOD... I like that mower but am concerned that the trim edge does not set out very far. Do you have any issues with this not being adequate?

One thing to remember- the Deere has the straight left front caster arm that the others don't. It allows you to get closer with the trim side than most any other mower with an equal sized deck.

I've been running a Z960 for the last week while my mower was in for warranty work. It had a 60" MOD deck on it. There are things I liked, and things I didn't about the MOD deck. It isn't a true mulch deck, but comes close enough for practical purposes. It works pretty well on leaves, but not much better than my mower does with the G6 blades and side discharge, if any. It does a great job at mulching grass. I found it still had enough grass blowing out around the gate to make clipping cleanups a must on pavement and in, and around flower beds, which disappointed me. Stll, given a choice, I think I'd take one over the std deck if I had to choose a deck for al around use.

dutchacres
10-26-2011, 09:17 PM
I have never figured out why they dont put the EFI on the larger engines either. I was looking at going with a 960 60" but they things loves its fuel. If it had a EFI engine on it that would be my choice. I decided on the 930 for the reason is it only burns between 1.1-1.4 gph depending on blades and grass conditions. I know my grandpas 960 72" burns over 2 gph that isnt acceptable to me! If I was going with that much power I would for sure by an oil burner!