PDA

View Full Version : Way over priced?

dutchacres
10-25-2011, 06:11 PM
Well I just turned in 3 bids to a lady that is in control of 2 apartment complexes and one strip mall. They get mowing, shrub trimming, treatment and mulch. I asked how my prices compared to everyone and she said I looked good besides my mulch price. She continued to tell me I was almost twice as much as the closest bid. That blew my mind as I spent an hour there the other day measuring everything and usually I am dead on. I estimated 52 yards at $65 yard and she said she usually gets 38-40 at $65 a yard. I said lets look at the other bid also and I was high on that also. I don't think there is anyway that 40 yards will do it even with me blowing it on. I guess if they go with me I will install 40 yards and if it isn't enough then that's there fault. Atleast she is a cute brunette and had the tots pushed up and hanging out to look at! Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

32vld
10-25-2011, 06:28 PM
Have you ever done a mulch job this size to know your estimate is on the money?

Next many LCO's are always looking to cut corners. Such as just putting down enough mulch to just cover whats already there from last year.

dutchacres
10-25-2011, 06:37 PM
Yes I actually do many jobs this size and I am usually a little higher but never this bad. I have done work for this company in the past and I actually did the landscaping on this complex we are talking about so I am sure I was close to what it uses.
Posted via Mobile Device

dutchacres
10-25-2011, 06:53 PM
From the looks of the property I am guessing the company that does it now doesn't do any of the pine trees and they don't edge anything out or use pre-emergent. I edge everything in march and put my treflain down then come back and mulch over top usually in late march early April. I also used a dyed mulch vs just a hardwood. I think my properties looks tons better than there property does now but it is just convincing them of that. I thought after I left I should have taken her by a few of my properties and told her this is how your will look if you pick me. I think next week I will call her and maybe take her to lunch and then I can take her by there and show her what real quality looks like.
Posted via Mobile Device

ecurbthims
10-25-2011, 07:42 PM
can you post a picture of her pushed up tots ?:drinkup:

TNGrassCutter
10-25-2011, 08:38 PM
can you post a picture of her pushed up tots ?:drinkup:

Yea we know why he wants to take her to lunch....
Posted via Mobile Device

dutchacres
10-25-2011, 08:40 PM
Yep I wish I had a pic of those babies! In our conversation she goes on to tell me she was born in 1950! Blew me away that she was that old I was guessing maybe late 40s early 50s at the oldest. She looks good for her age to say the least.
Posted via Mobile Device