PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Accounts???

BBallkid42
10-25-2011, 10:18 PM
I've mainly been a residential account operation but would like to start expanding into commercial properties. Do I need to just go directly to the commercial property and get some information that way or is there a way I can contact them via email and get on a bidder's list and try to go at it that route? What has past experience worked for everyone else?

dutchacres
10-26-2011, 01:00 AM
I have always just been a door knocker. It is a challenge sometimes to find the person in charge that makes the decisions on the lawn. There is a few things to consider before going after commercial properties. Most but not all want the same person doing everything I have found. So if your not licensed to do chemicals then you would need to do that. Plus they will want you for snow, irrigation and all the other services so make sure you know what your doing or find someone to sub this stuff out to. I am all commercial except one residential. I hate residential mowing. To many bosses and to many people looking over your shoulder. I also like going to a property and being there for a few hours and not having to load and unload all the time. Although doing residentals you do feel like you get alot more done in a day. Good luck in you searching. It is all trial and error. Don't get discouraged because you will get turned down a lot. Just stay at it and you will find your groove and what works best for you.
Posted via Mobile Device

billpiper
10-26-2011, 10:18 AM
Been in sales a long time. Never ask to get on the bid list. Either go by or call & find out who the decision maker is and the best time to contact him. Call him & find out when he'll be looking for landscaping &, if it's down the road ask for permission to contact him at that time, then call him a week earlier. If he's looking now, get an appt. When you get there, spend about 5 - 10 min. telling him who you are & what you do, what you're best at. Spend the rest of time asking questions, getting him to talk about what he wants, problems with past vendors, etc, then offer solutions.

Never ask to bid, ask for the work. It may end up being all about price, but let that be his idea. Don't leave the meeting without asking for the work. Many people not experienced at selling make the mistake of doing all the talking, none of the listening and don't even bother to ask for the bisiness. It's not about how great you are, it's about what he needs and whether you can provide it.

Good Luck.