PDA

View Full Version : Mileage Charges

sparcolawn
10-26-2011, 09:58 AM
For those who have commercial accounts spread across a wide area, what do you charge per mile for gas/fuel surcharge? I've asked around and i've heard anything from .13 per mile to .67 cents per mile. Thanks!

JDiepstra
10-26-2011, 10:17 AM
I dont. Its not the customers fault i cant get accounts next door to each other. If there is a customer that is too far off my route but i would have time and desire to do it i actually just tell them that they are so far out of my way that i would have to charge them an extra "$x" for drivetime. Most dont bite but thats fine cause i realize i can do 2 lawns that are nearby in the time it takes me to do that one that is out of the way.

JDiepstra
10-26-2011, 10:19 AM
For those who have commercial accounts spread across a wide area, what do you charge per mile for gas/fuel surcharge? I've asked around and i've heard anything from .13 per mile to .67 cents per mile. Thanks!

By the way, what is the point of charging less that 1 cent per mile? Seems pointless cause its costing you way more than that!

ralph02813
10-26-2011, 01:29 PM
Unless you are traveling between two places owned by the same person and they want them combined, they you might charge for mileage otherwize it doesn't make sense. I a customer ask me to pick something up, like bushes or a tree that they bought I charge my hourl rate.

weeze
10-26-2011, 04:44 PM
only time i charge for mileage is if it's far away...like 30min drive or more....like this person i know asked me to cut their yard which is 25miles away...50miles round trip...so for me that's roughly 3 gallons of gas times $3.50 and that equals $10.50....normally i would've charge $40 for the yard but i said i would charge $50 since i spend $10 in gas driving there and they said ok that's fine....if someone doesn't want to pay then they can hire someone that lives closer to them to cut it....simple as that.

gebby
10-26-2011, 08:12 PM
OK, I have a customer that has lets say more than one store and several properties along the way. I also do other properties other than theirs too. Many days though it is just this one chain. Roughly 250 miles a week there abouts Some places get mowed weekly, some every other week, I also do mothly maintenence on several places such as weed control spraying, mulch, shrubs what have you. The last few years it was 4.00 per stop, this year started off with 6.00 and raised prices 5-20 % depending on the job being done. Gas went down so I lowered the fuel surcharge to 5.00 per job and continued on with the prices I raised at the beginning of the year. I am lucky as they have never questioned my bills. They prefer I do it that way as this way they only get one bill a month for everything. I like it too one big check. Mind you I don't cheat them, They know that I am alway's fair. Some days I win, some days they win. They say it is still better than having another truck, trailer, equipment, repairs, tracking, taxes, employee in the fleet and the mix. I realize what I do isn't for every body but for me and my customer it works just fine. At least it must as they keep asking me to do more of this and that. 16 year customer. Each time they add to the list it helps my route get tighter. Hope that helps you.

ralph02813
10-26-2011, 08:16 PM
Gebby, I think you are saying what many have said - it is the relationship between you and the customer, if you work at it, it is great both win, that is the blueprint for success.

Flex-Deck
10-26-2011, 10:59 PM
It is not my customers fault as to how far I have to drive. We have a $45 minimum up to the first acre, that covers unload-load time, travel time. The remaining acres if it is larger a bid between $20-$40 depending on obstacles and difficulty. The minimum charge eliminates postage stamp yards for us as we are geared for larger properties.

I have one special case though that mileage is part of the bid and the customer knows it. They have one business one mile from me we have mowed for 15 years, and they wanted a bid on their second location 32 miles away. I told them they could get a lower bid from a local LCO, but they replied. We sell JD equipment, and we want JD machines mowing our property, and the locals at that point in time were running other brands. I bid that at normal bid + windshield time wages + mileage wear and tear on truck and trailer. They are very happy with the whole deal, because they used to try to get employees to do the mowing, and there was no consistancy, and the trimming did not get done. They now have consistancy not only in quality, but timliness.