PDA

View Full Version : Snow!!

TuffWork
10-26-2011, 11:42 AM
Yeah, 90% percent chance of snow tonight in the Texas Panhandle. It didn't rain all year, and now we've got snow in October. I bet I'll be done mowing the first week of November now. It's usually the first week of December. I guess that's cool, though. Nov. 15-18 I'll be taking my irrigation class and it's Thanksgiving shortly after that. I'm about ready for this nightmare of a season to be over with anyhow.

Glenn Lawn Care
10-26-2011, 07:42 PM
They're saying we are getting snow up here..... definitely not cold enough yet so it to stick around..... And people are freaking out about it on facebook too
!

weeze
10-27-2011, 12:09 AM
snow in october in texas?...wow that's gotta be some kind of record lol

Snyder's Lawn Inc
10-27-2011, 12:13 AM
ground temp here is 51 so in Texas it wont stick

JB1
10-27-2011, 12:13 AM
wow a white halloween.

Darryl G
10-27-2011, 12:26 AM
3 chances for snow in the forcast here in CT. It's about a month early for that. Usually we don't get the first snowfall until around Thanksgiving. I like it though. It helps my case in convincing my customers to not wait until all the leaves are down before doing fall cleanups....do the getting while the getting is good.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
10-27-2011, 12:35 AM
3 chances for snow in the forcast here in CT. It's about a month early for that. Usually we don't get the first snowfall until around Thanksgiving. I like it though. It helps my case in convincing my customers to not wait until all the leaves are down before doing fall cleanups....do the getting while the getting is good.

Tell them Pre Fall Cleanup

Darryl G
10-27-2011, 12:40 AM
A lot of the trees here are bare already...swamp maples and birches and fruit and nut trees to name a few...not to get off topic.

If it does snow it will just take me a few hours to prep for a minor storm, assuming mice haven't chewed all the wires on my plow or anything.

StihlMechanic
10-27-2011, 02:20 AM
Yeah, 90% percent chance of snow tonight in the Texas Panhandle. It didn't rain all year, and now we've got snow in October. I bet I'll be done mowing the first week of November now. It's usually the first week of December. I guess that's cool, though. Nov. 15-18 I'll be taking my irrigation class and it's Thanksgiving shortly after that. I'm about ready for this nightmare of a season to be over with anyhow.

I'm curious, is there alot of plow work up there in the winter?

I am down near Dallas. Its been dry here but your climate zone gets about 20 inches less rain a year on average than me so I feel for you.

MOturkey
10-27-2011, 10:41 AM
Snow is a four letter word in my vocabulary! For many of you farther north, I suppose it is a five letter word: MONEY! :)

TuffWork
10-27-2011, 11:24 AM
I'm curious, is there alot of plow work up there in the winter?

I am down near Dallas. Its been dry here but your climate zone gets about 20 inches less rain a year on average than me so I feel for you.

No sir, it's all snow blower work. People that want to get out in it when it does snow here once or twice in a winter just take the 4x4. (almost everyone has one) When it's that deep it's all plowed by the city anyhow. The money is in snowblowing driveways and such so people can get to the streets. The residential streets that don't get plowed get packed down by people with four wheel drive pretty quick. So the elderly need someone like me to blow off their drive so they can get to the pharmacy in their caddy. Some of the bigger companies use skids and front end loaders to clear parking lots and such.

I don't even own a snow blower. I just pay for a rental ahead of time so that when it does snow I've got first dibbs. (the rental co. is literally an 1/8th mile away)

For the record we got 3 inches of snow. I can't believe it. I guess it will be an early season end after all. None of it is sticking on streets or sidewalks but it's still snowing and the grass definitely has 3" on it.

Darryl G
10-27-2011, 01:47 PM
Holy crud....they're saying that there's a possibility of significant heavy wet snowfall Saturday in the East/Northeast. Will have to wait and see how things play out.

soloscaperman
10-27-2011, 04:07 PM
Holy crud....they're saying that there's a possibility of significant heavy wet snowfall Saturday in the East/Northeast. Will have to wait and see how things play out.

I have my plow way in the back of my garage as well. There saying 3 inches in CT.

lawnpro724
10-27-2011, 04:17 PM
Just got 2 new Toro 221QR snow blowers in today along with ice melt, rock salt and sand its not going to long before the snow starts flying and I like to get things ready before I need them. Winter is supposed to come early according to forcasts and they are calling for heavy snow this year for us.

Darryl G
10-27-2011, 05:36 PM
Proably too warm to stick to paved surfaces unless we get a lot of it.

mowerbrad
10-27-2011, 06:42 PM
I really have to get things ready for winter. I don't plow, so I'm not too concerned with that sort of stuff. However, I do need to get my snow blower out and ready to go and get the shed cleaned out so I can store both mowers in there this winter.

Last year we only had a 1/10th of an inch in November and didn't get anymore snow until early December, so I didn't have to rush to get things ready last year. But every year is different and we've been known to have snow in early November.

I'm definately NOT ready for snow, though!!!

GMLC
10-27-2011, 07:03 PM
Its snowing here right now!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

TuffWork
10-27-2011, 07:49 PM
It snowed until about 1:00pm. I was surprised it kept going for that long. We got almost four inches from what I can tell and it's already melting off. The streets and sidewalks never got any accumulation or even ice. So now it's a wait and see on the mowing. It kinda sucks this happened directly before the three biggest days in the week. I'm thinking I may just skip mowing the rest of the week, and go find some tree work that I'm sure is out there on Saturday. Then, I'll going back to mowing next week with sharp blades prepared for extra growth. Buying a snow blower instead of just renting (it's only $40 a day and I only use it once a year usually) is starting to look like a not so bad idea. I could just never justify spending $400 on something that would only pay for itself vs. renting in 10 years. I think this winter is gonna be HARD.

ashgrove landscaping
10-27-2011, 07:50 PM
We have an inch on the ground right now in upper upstate ny. And its still coming down hard.

pps2600
10-27-2011, 07:53 PM
its true it is snowing right now in central ct was at a large landscape contractors shop today and they where mounting sanders on their trucks guess i missed the memo

Darryl G
10-27-2011, 07:57 PM
I'm not gonna do anything other than plug in the plow and make sure the hydraulics work at this point.