PDA

View Full Version : Thought I was done with "first Mows for the years"

dhardin53
10-26-2011, 02:26 PM
But no, this mess was no fun. Very dry, very windy, but thick. After experiencing a combine fire and having a neighbor of a friend burn up their mower. I wonder how many Carrie a fire extinguisher? I think I will start..

KrayzKajun
10-26-2011, 03:21 PM
Funn funn.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
10-26-2011, 03:40 PM
Bet the deck belt is 2" longer after that mess.
Posted via Mobile Device

JB1
10-26-2011, 03:56 PM
looks like a batwing job.

weeze
10-26-2011, 04:35 PM
ah it's not that bad...i've done twice as tall before lol....if the ground is smooth go over it twice...once with the deck all the way up and then again at the height you want to cut it...if it's bumpy ground just go slow and cut it the height you want it to be...it's not gonna look perfect regardless what you do lol.

dhardin53
10-26-2011, 05:20 PM
3 1/2 acer very rough, tall weed. But most of the tall stuff had dried up and cut fine but it was very windy day. The last rain around here kind of perked up some of the base.
Because it is so rough to took me a lot longer. I have acess to a bat wing but it is about 20 min form me so I opted to give it a try with the old DC. I am happy how it turned out. Wish I could burn off all the dead grass/weeds.

I mowed this several years ago in fact I was looking for a compact tractor to help get this smoothed out. The client did not pay me so I stopped mowing it. I now have been payed up and have a agreement to mow twice a month for next year. I did get a subcompact tractor now I need a box scraper to knock off the high spots and then aerator it and then roll in the spring, I hope to get this to a 1 hour job.

(I was at Disney World when I got this call on my cell that the bank wanted to settle with me and get me back to mowing it)

grassman177
10-26-2011, 06:20 PM
yeah, that is harder on ztrs than you think. this job realy needs the tractor

weeze
10-26-2011, 06:41 PM
i had one similar earlier this year...it took me like 1 1/2 hrs to do it....it was an empty lot where apartments used to be and they tore them down after they were damaged by tornadoes....bumpy lot for sure lol....i cut it really high the first time like 4" and spend an hour or so going around picking up bricks, rocks, rebar, etc....finally got the place cleaned up and halfway decent....but it's still a pain....so i dropped it...if it was smooth it would be worth it cuz you could just fly through it in about 45min or less...but it was so bumpy you had to go really slow and they only wanted it cut like once a month so i just passed on it after 3-4 cuts.

borwicks
10-26-2011, 06:50 PM
i carry one in my truck.....DOT rules and its just smart. I used one on a ladies car fire one day. I drove by saw the hood up and engine on fire made a uturn and put it out. Funny thing is the lady said fire department is one the way,,,,,there building is literally 2 away...had it out and back in truck by the time the engine rolled up.

mowerbrad
10-26-2011, 07:22 PM
Those properties never are worth it to me, they just seem to destroy a mower quicker than anything. I used to do a smaller entrance to a neighborhood, it had a berm the entire length of the entrance. It was a rough property and mostly weeds, the neighborhood wanted it cut on an "as needed" basis. So they would give me a call about every 6 weeks to get me to mow (they wanted it bagged as well) and cut down from about 10" to 2.5". Let me just share, I no longer do that property.

As for the fire extinguisher, I actually don't carry one anymore. I really should carry one on the trailer and in the truck. I've been thinking about mounting one on each of the mowers, that way in case there is a fire I don't have to run all the way back to the truck to put it out.

dhardin53
10-26-2011, 08:01 PM
I have see more fire this year than I ever have.

Guess in just getting jumpy.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
10-26-2011, 08:25 PM
But no, this mess was no fun. Very dry, very windy, but thick. After experiencing a combine fire and having a neighbor of a friend burn up their mower. I wonder how many Carrie a fire extinguisher? I think I will start..

mid-late 90s DC right
I do one here 3 times a year use to do with 15 batwing But time I get it from farm and get here I can do it with my DC only now 3 acres takes me 45mins
I always mow it with deck up all the way and I overlap only cut tall grass with half the deck kinda like double cutting

dhardin53
10-26-2011, 09:02 PM
Same here Snyder's, This old DC is 1999 or 2000. It is a in between model some things are in the 2000 manuals are on my DC but some things are from the older units (Serial # say 2000). What I like about this model is it has 3 air filter, 2 engine oil cooler, 2 oil filter and 2 hydro filter and a large hydro cooler. DC found it was slightly over kill, but I like it. I got it used 7 years ago and she has over 3300 hours on it. She don't owe me a nickle. But man it still cuts.

Twice a month after I get some of the roughness out of it. Good way to start out next year, money is good on this one.

Glenn Lawn Care
10-26-2011, 09:51 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Glenn Lawn Care
10-26-2011, 09:52 PM
That's so hard on your machine, I would've used a tractor.
Posted via Mobile Device

Snyder's Lawn Inc
10-26-2011, 10:06 PM
That's so hard on your machine, I would've used a tractor.
Posted via Mobile Device

Not for a Dc they made do that type work well the older DC
newer one has that dang Electric Clutch its hard on them My 2011 DC has one I hate it Thinking about converting it back to old setup

johnyredd99
10-27-2011, 01:16 AM
i carry one in my truck.....DOT rules and its just smart. I used one on a ladies car fire one day. I drove by saw the hood up and engine on fire made a uturn and put it out. Funny thing is the lady said fire department is one the way,,,,,there building is literally 2 away...had it out and back in truck by the time the engine rolled up.

was the extinguisher ever replaced/refilled? Did the lady whos car you put out offer to pay for or replace?
I can really understand doing a good deed and the right thing.
But, because i'm prepared and the public is not if I use my supplies to help them out I will be in the same boat as them.

I personally carry one in truck and have one mounted on side door of trailer. Also keep one in garage, one in work shop, and one in my kitchen. My 5 and 8yr old have even been taught how to use them. When SHTF we are ready.
Going back... just cause the fire company is 2 doors down doesnt mean that there is anyone around. most cities have stopped or greatly limited the amount of fire fighters.

The average 'office worker' doesnt even have a set of jumper cables in the car w/ them. and if they do most have no idea how to use them. I'll help any old lady on the side of the road change a flat tire but if her car was on fire and everyone was safe I have work to do.

jetta
10-27-2011, 09:58 AM
i mounted 2 -14oz first alert tundras , they will spray for over 30 sec can be froze thawed and still used

borwicks
10-27-2011, 01:01 PM
Yes. Bought a new one. No she never offered to pay. I was in and out of there in a minute. Had yards to mow.
Posted via Mobile Device

johnyredd99
10-27-2011, 02:20 PM
Sadly Im sure she learned no lesson and does not carry one now.

You did a great thing and if it were my mother on the side of the road I hope someone would do the same for her

Patriot Services
10-27-2011, 02:25 PM
I bet he would have grumpied his drawers if that thing blew up. Even the FD keeps distance on car fires. A burnt car is usually totaled anyways.
Posted via Mobile Device

johnyredd99
10-27-2011, 10:28 PM
ah man you have me laughing over here.

nothing worse then a grown man doing the grumpy dance w/ a fire extingushier in his hands and not his bag and 5 gal bucket.

talk about not being prepared for the job