PDA

View Full Version : Am I a jerk?

rockerchris
10-26-2011, 05:35 PM
I had this resume forwarded to me from a employment agency. I called the guy arranged for him to meet me for a quick interview. I arranged to meet him at Starbucks today at 4:00 since I do not have a office. I was there fifteen minutes early. By the time the clock had hit 4:10 he was not there. Reading previously on lawn site that some of you guys would leave almost instantly if the guy is late, I left. The question I have though, is did I give the guy a fair chance? Should I have waited more than 10 minutes? Is this really a jerk move?

It is raining heavily today and we are not doing much, I could have waited around longer...but the guy did not even call. I understand the guy may not have a cell phone and could of had some extraordinary delay. Should I give the guy a call and give him a second chance?

Let me know you would do/what you think?

countryclublawns
10-26-2011, 06:57 PM
I'd say that the burden is on this guy now. Unless, for some reason you really want him as an employee. Even if you do give him a second chance I would leave it to him to call you.
Why waste your time or even worry about it?

GreenI.A.
10-26-2011, 07:07 PM
I agree with countryclub, if his resume looked so good that you think that he is someone you should persue then I would give him a call and ask if he would reschedule. Otherwise I would wait for him to call and try to reschedule. I would also findout what his reason was for missing the interview before agreeing to do so. If you go seeking him out, you are giving him alot of power as he will feel as if you need him

borwicks
10-26-2011, 07:13 PM
If the job was important enough to him to schedule a interview then he didnt show what will he do in the future for you and your deadlines or just showing up to work. Move on.

Glenn Lawn Care
10-26-2011, 07:48 PM
I would have left to, it that guys fault for not being there on time!

knox gsl
10-26-2011, 07:57 PM
I agree, move on. If he's late for an interview, he'll never be on time.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dr.NewEarth
10-26-2011, 09:09 PM
Your interview candidate is a screw up. Move on.

GMLC
10-26-2011, 11:26 PM
Agreed..If he cant show up on time for an interview he will never show up on time for work. If he was in a jam he would have called you to say he was running late.

Darryl G
10-26-2011, 11:37 PM
I had this resume forwarded to me from a employment agency. I called the guy arranged for him to meet me for a quick interview. I arranged to meet him at Starbucks today at 4:00 since I do not have a office. I was there fifteen minutes early. By the time the clock had hit 4:10 he was not there. Reading previously on lawn site that some of you guys would leave almost instantly if the guy is late, I left. The question I have though, is did I give the guy a fair chance? Should I have waited more than 10 minutes? Is this really a jerk move?

It is raining heavily today and we are not doing much, I could have waited around longer...but the guy did not even call. I understand the guy may not have a cell phone and could of had some extraordinary delay. Should I give the guy a call and give him a second chance?

Regardless of what you should have done, you made your decision at the time and I think you should stick with it. If he can't show up to an interview on time, you think he's gonna be able to show up to work on time? I hate when people waste my time, but I would have probably given it 15 or 20 minutes.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
10-26-2011, 11:41 PM

You have a Buisness With no Office Why is That?

knox gsl
10-26-2011, 11:44 PM
You have a Buisness With no Office Why is That?

I think he maybe like alot of us. I have an office in my home but wouldn't have a first meeting there like this.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
10-27-2011, 12:05 AM
I think he maybe like alot of us. I have an office in my home but wouldn't have a first meeting there like this.So a customer cant stop by to see what you have to offer then How do you do it You go meet at another business with new customer
Im sorry if I p you off I have ask is all

rockerchris
10-27-2011, 12:16 AM
So a customer cant stop by to see what you have to offer then How do you do it You go meet at another business with new customer
Im sorry if I p you off I have ask is all

We only service residential properties, so if I need to meet with a client then I meet with them at their house. As a small business owner, I do not see the need to have the overhead of a office. Especially when the volume is not there to necessitate it.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
10-27-2011, 12:32 AM
We only service residential properties, so if I need to meet with a client then I meet with them at their house. As a small business owner, I do not see the need to have the overhead of a office. Especially when the volume is not there to necessitate it.

Just think If you had one how much more Volume you would gain
I get a lot walk in new clients People wants see how I keep my stuff and how i run things
I guess Im old School

rockerchris
10-27-2011, 12:59 AM
Just think If you had one how much more Volume you would gain
I get a lot walk in new clients People wants see how I keep my stuff and how i run things
I guess Im old School

Yeah-I see what you are saying. i think the demographics are little different here though. We are a urban landscape maintenance company, small yards that need to be maintained with an extreme attention to detail. Most of my clients are busy professionals who simply do not have the time to come into my office, let alone come by and look at my equipment. They are just interested in getting it done.

I guess maybe it is a little different down there though. We have been growing at quite a healthy rate, and I see no need in expediting it to quickly. We are growing 50% year-over-year for the past five years so I am trying to manage it without growing too big, too fast.

Back to the job applicant, I agree with you guys now. The job I was interview for was for a general labor position and not some office job. At that skill level, all I am really looking for is punctuality. That is really the only criteria I think is absolutely crucial.

PLS-Tx
10-27-2011, 04:01 AM
You waited 10 mins longer than I would have.

No your not a jerk.

zak406
10-28-2011, 01:44 AM
I am typically a good employee always on time and do as im told (when I was not self employeed) However tehre was one interview I had were there was a mix up between me and the boss on dates we were meeting, he never called me. I only found out about the mix up when I showed up on x's date at 2:30 for a meeting. Some times people make mistakes, I did. NOt saying that you were in the wrong but **** does happen!