PDA

View Full Version : Securing a ZTR mower

ar_blazeman
10-26-2011, 07:29 PM
I've searched the forum and have found that there are just as many likes and dislikes for every method out there to secure equipment. My intention is to get questions answered about a certain product, not a "this product is better than that product" thread.

I've got a couple of questions for people who have actually used the "fastrap" system.

1) Do you have problems with the strap slipping off the tire when it's tightened down? How about when your equipment is wet?

2) Sometimes I may need to drive past or over the wheel chocks to get to the front of my trailer (to dump grass or leafs for example). Are the wheel chocks going to keep their shape and work as intended?

3) Is there enough length in the straps to place the cam near the rear or front of the tire not just on top of it?

4) Overall how do you rate the fastrap system?

Thanks in advance!

-Scott

Richard Martin
10-26-2011, 08:00 PM
1: I've never had a Fastrap slip off of a tire. Ever. Not even when there's snow on them.

2: You can drive anything over them that you want. You're not going to hurt them.

3: There is PLENTY of extra strap. You can place the cam anywhere that you want to.

4: My rating is a 10. I see no need to ever look for another fastening system.

Greyst1
10-27-2011, 05:59 PM
I used them and i think they are the best product available for securing your equipment down. A++

Tennesseepowerstroke
10-30-2011, 09:29 AM
1. I have never had one come off, wet or dry.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.
4. 10, If all you are doing is hauling equipment.

The only drawbacks I see are:
1. If you are mulching or unloading dirt, the chocks are in the way even when you remove the straps. This would not keep me from buying them again.
2. You have to make sure the straps did not get moved between the chocks when you unload the mower. If they do you will have to move them "outward" of where the tires rest before loading the equipment back up. I have loaded my mower more than a few times only to look down and see the tire sitting on the strap. Just be sure to watch for this.

MOturkey
10-30-2011, 10:08 AM
I've been using them since 2003. I've never had one slip off a tire, but, if they are not tightened enough, or the latch is flipped over at an angle to the strap, they will, occasionally, pop open, especially if the straps are wet. However, that may be due to the way I have mine mounted. I have Gravely's, and I have to place the locking mechanism on the back side of the tire due to the fuel tank.

Just make sure when you install the chocks to measure carefully. The idea is for the tire to be cradled between them.

I'd rate them pretty close to a 10, because I don't know of anything better out there.

Sportsman's Guide is the cheapest place I found to buy them. Much cheaper than direct, and they are exactly the same product.

ReddensLawnCare
10-30-2011, 11:31 AM
Best tool on my trailer
Posted via Mobile Device

djagusch
10-30-2011, 01:19 PM
1. If the chock is properly set up they will not slip off. If the chock is set up to wide so the strap is on the edge or you park the mower off to one side it might but it is a user issue not the product. If you leave your mower on the trailer over night and the air temp drops a bunch then the straps are going to be loose as the tire is slightly smaller, I just tighten them eash morning when I do the walk around of the vehicle/trailer each day.

2. Easy to drive over, the rachet holds up to being ran over. Like another poster said, sweeping/racking dirt/brush/etc is harder due to the chocks. But not a big drawback unless you do that multiable times each day.

3. The cam position is not adjustable. It's location is dependant to the tire size. The strap is sewn to one part of the cam and the other strap attachment is adjustable. So it won't move location per wheel size. I don't see why this would be an issue though. Mine on a 24" tire is located right on the top so leverage to the cam is good. Smaller the tire the further back it would be and leverage would increase to strap it even tigher.

4. I'll give it a 9. The only drawbacks are that once it is placed you can't move it without a screwdriver. It limits you on how you load multiable equipment. If you own one mower then it's a 10. But I own three turf tigers which makes no difference but when I have the 48" trimstar or 48" vride I either need another strap or dedicated space on the trailer. I ended up buying a 22 ft trailer with a front side gate which my 48" mowers load and unload from with 2 TT's in the further positions. The other drawback is if the strap gets moved by the mower into the chock area you need to move it before loading.

I would recommend them to anyone. It keeps lazy workers from not strapping down the mowers as they are right there. Also when setting them up think about spacing with baggers etc.

The only way to make the product better is to make it work with E Trac so it is easier to change postion and you could have multi rails for different widths.

I really am nit pickin in this post as it is the best way by far. Heck the DOT guy asked me where I got them and thought they were great.

Richard Martin
10-30-2011, 02:41 PM
3. The cam position is not adjustable. It's location is dependant to the tire size. The strap is sewn to one part of the cam and the other strap attachment is adjustable. So it won't move location per wheel size. I don't see why this would be an issue though. Mine on a 24" tire is located right on the top so leverage to the cam is good. Smaller the tire the further back it would be and leverage would increase to strap it even tigher.

Can't you just move the strap through the wheel chock to change the position of the cam on your's? I can place mine anywhere around the tire that I want it.

djagusch
10-30-2011, 04:56 PM
Can't you just move the strap through the wheel chock to change the position of the cam on your's? I can place mine anywhere around the tire that I want it.

I forgot about that as I never adjust that part of the strap. I stand corrected.

944own
10-30-2011, 11:41 PM
Back in May of this year a lady made a u turn right into the side of my trailer. Pretty much messed up every piece of equipment on my trailer. Trailer was completely warped and pretty much tore the whole front end off her car. The only thing that was still in perfect shape was my 2 week old brand new lazer z secured with the fastraps. It did not move a inch.

BaxtersEssentialLawnCare
10-31-2011, 06:18 PM
Fast straps are ok. I used them but had slipping issues. I replaced the straps with 2" ratchet straps no slipping. That was on my old trailer when I got the new one I bought 4 d rings and I screwed those to the deck and use ratchet straps on them. Work great. I also have tie down points on the trailer deck when needed. For me this is the way togo is was $25-30 for the faststraps and $25 for the "homemade" version and it has more felxibilty and no things sticking up in the way.