PDA

View Full Version : Leaf Mulching

lawnservicefreak22
10-26-2011, 09:57 PM
I have the mulch kit installed on the exmark and was wondering what blades are best for leaf mulching for clean ups. My dealers worker was telling me that there's blades that are better for mulching leaves than the ones that are best for mulching grass. Thanks

Darryl G
10-26-2011, 10:05 PM
I think the wavy mulchers are best with the mulch kit. You can use Gator mulching blades. They mulch leaves better but throw a lot more air, so you will get stuff blowing out from under the front of the mower, especially the right front corner. You can't much them if you can't get them under the mower, ya know. The problem with the wavy mulchers is that once the leaves get stuck to the ground it doesn't get them up very well.

JDiepstra
10-26-2011, 10:29 PM
I think the wavy mulchers are best with the mulch kit. You can use Gator mulching blades. They mulch leaves better but throw a lot more air, so you will get stuff blowing out from under the front of the mower, especially the right front corner. You can't much them if you can't get them under the mower, ya know. The problem with the wavy mulchers is that once the leaves get stuck to the ground it doesn't get them up very well.

Agree with all that.

Darryl G
10-26-2011, 10:46 PM
Agree with all that.

You agree with my typo and all? lol. I meant to say you can't mulch them, not can't much them.

cpllawncare
10-26-2011, 10:54 PM
My customers are loving my mulching set up, I've had several tell me I have the best set up they have ever seen, no leaves when I'm done, just using the Toro mulching blades, no raking for me.

JDiepstra
10-26-2011, 10:54 PM
You agree with my typo and all? lol. I meant to say you can't mulch them, not can't much them.

Didnt catch it it was so close.

dutchacres
10-27-2011, 12:41 AM
Wavy blades are probably the best but also suck if you need the extra lift. I wish someone would make a medium to high lift wavy blade for this reason. I hate gator style blades but they do do a good job on leaves also. Try both and see which you like better.

ralph02813
10-27-2011, 08:55 AM
I have tried 2 gator blades on my ferris 36 and get mixed results on both leaves and grass, so I generally use a standard ferris high lift on the inside and a gator on the outside, it works ok would a mulching kit make a big difference.

Darryl G
10-27-2011, 09:04 AM
The Exmark mulching kit with the wavy mulcher blades provides excellent results for mulching a moderate amount of leaves. I don't know about the Gravely one. The problem with the mulch kit for me is that there are times that there are just too many leaves to make them "disappear" necessitating bagging. With the mulch kit on, that's not possible. And taking it on and off in the field just isn't practical.

SouthSide Cutter
10-27-2011, 02:33 PM
My Scag wavy blades just set in the shop gathering rust along with the mulch kit. They left to many stragglers. Just use Oregon Gators and a block off plate. Some people thought I used a vac on their yard. If you have alot of leaves you leave the plate open, then close it, then reopen and bingo they are gone. No bagging for me.

Thomas Grundy
10-27-2011, 06:33 PM
Do you all out there mulching like me charge for a full clean up when mulching or just for regular mowing service ? Seems like i work just as much in the fall but dont make nearly as much money as I do in the summer mowing.

Darryl G
10-27-2011, 06:37 PM
I charge hourly after October 15th for all mowing and cleanup activities. I only mulch light, nuisance leaf cover. Heavier leaf cover gets blown off or bagged.

ralph02813
10-27-2011, 06:41 PM
I am about a week behind darryl

JDiepstra
10-27-2011, 07:06 PM
Im surprised and confused by people who say mulch blades dont give enough lift. They are the ultimate high lift blade. They have so much lift they keep the grass and leaves up in the deck until it is obliterated.

Darryl G
10-28-2011, 12:23 AM
Im surprised and confused by people who say mulch blades dont give enough lift. They are the ultimate high lift blade. They have so much lift they keep the grass and leaves up in the deck until it is obliterated.

Mulching blades do not provide much lift. They are designed to create an airflow pattern that recirculates the clippings. In my experience they can actually push the grass down.

P.S. Notice that if you bring a mower with mulching blades near some leaves, it will not suck them in from very far. That is because they do not have much lift.

JDiepstra
10-28-2011, 12:46 AM
Mulching blades do not provide much lift. They are designed to create an airflow pattern that recirculates the clippings. In my experience they can actually push the grass down.

P.S. Notice that if you bring a mower with mulching blades near some leaves, it will not suck them in from very far. That is because they do not have much lift.

I don't know man. I have tried 3 different types of blades this year and have been happiest with the mulching blades, even when side discharging.

Agape
10-28-2011, 02:51 AM
I don't know man. I have tried 3 different types of blades this year and have been happiest with the mulching blades, even when side discharging.

IDK, I just bought a mulching kit for my new turf tracer 36 which included wavy blades, but also a set of bolt on baffles that enclose the blades so they cut several times before the debris hit the ground. there is not much lift to them and the cut quality is 5X better, as I believe the factory blades caused too much turbulence and cut grass as it was blowing side to side. The cut is very smooth now and leaves "disappear".

I'll try to get my camera out next week and do mulch before and aft.

ralph02813
10-28-2011, 07:47 AM
On my ferris 36, the best solution so far is a high lift on the inside and a gator mulchers on the outside - two gators on it, and I will leave a ribbone of grass if I back up ---
@Jdiepstra - what other blades did you use, and why do you like the gators more.

lawnservicefreak22
10-29-2011, 11:10 AM
Do you all out there mulching like me charge for a full clean up when mulching or just for regular mowing service ? Seems like i work just as much in the fall but dont make nearly as much money as I do in the summer mowing.
Before I had my mulch kit the leaves would always blow out the side and leave leaf cleanup work for me to do in the fall. Now that the mulch kit mulches most of the leaves, I dont have much clean up work to do this year. So not only did the kit cost me $300 but is also costing me jobs. I thought the kit was suppose to help me Ha

jaybow
10-30-2011, 01:21 AM
Has any of you guys tried the Oregon G-6 Blades. Excellent lift and mulching capability. I love mine. I have them on my Exmark 60" series 6 ultra cut.
Posted via Mobile Device

lawnservicefreak22
10-31-2011, 10:23 PM
What are you guys charging for leaf clean up for your lawn clients? 3-4X mowing rate? I feel like I was charging way too little last year.

jaybow
10-31-2011, 10:37 PM
I don't have a mulch kit just G-6 gators, and blocked the chute, I have found that it takes multiple passes in different directions no matter what blade. Maybe next year try the mulch kit. As for what to charge, it depends on the property.
Posted via Mobile Device

ralph02813
11-01-2011, 06:18 AM
I think it depends on what you need to make and hour and your time must include haul away if you have to take it away. I have already started with my fall clean up spending a little extra time at the customers I need to and charging them for it. They understand what I am doing and like the idea that the cost may be spread out over several weeks. In many was hurricane Irene was very helpful, she spread it out even further. I tend to make better money on spring clean up, because a lot of leaves get stuck in gardens and several of my customer have delicate perrenials that occurs of several visits also, combined with weeding and preemergents followe my mulch and the first shot at cutting the garden edges