PDA

View Full Version : New Exmark 32" questions!

jaybow
10-27-2011, 02:30 PM
I picked up a new Exmark 32" this morning with the 16hp kawasaki. It has the pistol grips. It cuts great from the little I used it today. Will this thing pull a sulky? It has a smaller belt then my old Toro T-Bar 52" wich is understandable I guess, but I want to be able to use my jungle wheels with it. the belts slip even loading it on the trailer going up the ramp. I see there is 3 positions for the springs for the drive belts, but doesnt seem to be a big difference when switched. What else can I do, does anybody have experience with this machine. I also have to get used to these pistol grips, not as easy as the T-bar controls on toro. I need to be first nature at this and be able to manoover this thingaround swiftly. Any insight is appreciated. Oh and I weigh about 220lbs, but I was assuming a commercial machine of this caliber should pull me, the engine will have no problem, just woried about the drive belts, help!!!

jiggz
10-27-2011, 02:39 PM
220 is kinda heavy for a belt drive but it should pull you..the 32 exmark i bought last year had a 12hp brigs on it.. its like a 95 model and the guy had a a sulky on it..those belts should not slip going up ramps though unless there wet.. you need to adjust them..

i just bought my first Toro a few months ago a 62" walkbehind maaaaaaan that t bar is the greatest thing since sliced bread i couldnt imagine going back to pistols.. good luck with that new machine

jaybow
10-27-2011, 02:43 PM
[QUOTE=jiggz;4198579]220 is kinda heavy for a belt drive but it should pull you..the 32 exmark i bought last year had a 12hp brigs on it.. its like a 95 model and the guy had a a sulky on it..those belts should not slip going up ramps though unless there wet.. you need to adjust them..

i just bought my first Toro a few months ago a 62" walkbehind maaaaaaan that t bar is the greatest thing since sliced bread i couldnt imagine going back to pistols.. good luck with that new machine[/QUO

how do you adjust them? I have the springs in the strongest setting, what else can i do?

Thomas Grundy
10-27-2011, 05:15 PM
Underneath the engine is a small transmission belt and the smallest pully under there is a tention pulley titen it closer to the belt to where u can only move the belt no more than an inch after titening it. if that doesnt work you need to replace. it. has nothing to do with your drive belts its the trans belt underneath

Thomas Grundy
10-27-2011, 05:27 PM
Underneath the engine is a small transmission belt and the smallest pully under there is a tention pulley titen it closer to the belt to where u can only move the belt no more than an inch after titening it. if that doesnt work you need to replace. it. has nothing to do with your drive belts its the trans belt underneath

jaybow
10-27-2011, 05:32 PM
I will check it out, thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

jtsnipe
10-27-2011, 05:34 PM
Shouldn't the dealer adjust it.

I MOW ALONE
10-27-2011, 05:54 PM
is'nt the mower brand new?

fatboynormmie
10-27-2011, 06:03 PM
Jaybow with the mower off. Move the thumb locks and let the drive levers go (the ones you squeeze)till they stop.The clevis pin (which goes through the lever,thumb lock and the engagement rod) needs to be about 1/4 to 3/8 UP from the bottom of the thumb lever .If the clevis pin is touching the bottom of the thumb lock then it is holding the spring tension off the drive belts allowing them to slip.Pull the clevis out of the lever,thumb lock and rod and adjust the threaded rod out or to the left to lengthen the threaded rod then reattach the clevis pin.Once you make that adjustment you will need to adjust the brakes.You just turn the wing nut to the right on the brake rod to tighten it.If the brakes are too tight they will keep the clevis pin from moving enough to get the thumb locks to be engaged so you will have to fiddle with it a little to get it just right but its pretty easy to adjust.

fatboynormmie
10-27-2011, 06:11 PM
is'nt the mower brand new?

It's sad but a lot of dealers just push them out the door and if your not familiar with how things should work your kinda screwed.

Darryl G
10-28-2011, 10:49 AM
I think it's asking a little much for a mower that size to pull around a full sized guy. You're probably going to have a problem with the front end lifting on hills and the either the belts slipping or tires spinning when getting it rolling pulling you. You may need to get it rolling while off the platform at times and then hop on...heck I do that on my 48 inch hydro sometimes. With the belt spring adjustment, it's usually a trade off between setting the spring so that the belts grab and the effort required to squeeze the grips. Put it on the lightest setting and the belts slip but the levers are easy to operate, put it on hard and you get good belt grip but your hands get sore. You may have to set them to firm to get the belt traction you need and just live with the hard squeeze on the grips. My experience with this is from operating old Scags and Buntons but should be applicable here.

jaybow
10-28-2011, 10:36 PM
I think it's asking a little much for a mower that size to pull around a full sized guy. You're probably going to have a problem with the front end lifting on hills and the either the belts slipping or tires spinning when getting it rolling pulling you. You may need to get it rolling while off the platform at times and then hop on...heck I do that on my 48 inch hydro sometimes. With the belt spring adjustment, it's usually a trade off between setting the spring so that the belts grab and the effort required to squeeze the grips. Put it on the lightest setting and the belts slip but the levers are easy to operate, put it on hard and you get good belt grip but your hands get sore. You may have to set them to firm to get the belt traction you need and just live with the hard squeeze on the grips. My experience with this is from operating old Scags and Buntons but should be applicable here.

It worked great today, I got more used to the pistol grip controls. I think the only thing that was going on was I wasn't fully releasingthe locks on the pistol grips, if your familiar with them you know what im saying. There is like two steps to releasing the brakes/locks.

jaybow
10-31-2011, 01:50 PM
Posted via Mobile Device