PDA

View Full Version : Echo Bed Redefiner

Deererunner
10-27-2011, 03:37 PM
I am looking into buying an Echo Bed Redefiner but want to know first how any of you who use them or have used them in the past have liked them. I have read and heard that they will not cut in a new bed. Do they really work as well as Echo makes them out to be. Have you had any problems with them before?

I have used larger self propelled units before to Redefine beds and haven't been exactly satisfied with them. I know a lot of times the best result comes from a sharp shovel but really looking for something faster then that.

If you have any experience or even photos of an end result, please post them and let me know how you like them or do not like them and if it is worth purhasing.

Thanks!!

skidoofool07
10-27-2011, 06:56 PM
They are a piece of junk i would not recommend them to my worst enemy.

FoghornLeghorn
10-27-2011, 07:02 PM
I have a BRD-280. The machine really does work, really well.

I will say that I bought it with the belief that I'd use it every day and it would save me tons of time and make my jobs look way more professional. The reality is that it doesn't get used nearly as much as I thought it would.

It's called a BRD, bed RE definer. It does really quick work for touching the lines up on a flowerbed. It does get bogged down a little bit if you're making a completely new bed and have to cut through untouched grass and soil to make the lines.

It makes a good, deep cut/drop off for the mulch to sit in.

If the soil is wet, mud will cake up on the inner part of the shield and cause a lot of friction at the blade, which slows the blade down and makes the machine work a LOT harder and slower.

My fix for that is to just carry a putty knife and scrape it away when you notice the machine struggling. It takes 5-10 seconds.

So if you ACTUALLY have the work to support such a specialized tool, then buy it. It would certainly be worth your money.

If all you do are a couple of flowerbeds a week/month, save the $600 and use a stick edger, the end result is almost the same.

I'll try to take some pics soon of a jobsite with the beds redefined. Might stop by it tonight.

JDiepstra
10-27-2011, 07:12 PM
Have one. Like it a lot. Struggles to cut a new edge in tough thick grass but it will do it.

shepoutside
10-28-2011, 12:20 AM
I have a BRD-280. The machine really does work, really well.

I will say that I bought it with the belief that I'd use it every day and it would save me tons of time and make my jobs look way more professional. The reality is that it doesn't get used nearly as much as I thought it would.

It's called a BRD, bed RE definer. It does really quick work for touching the lines up on a flowerbed. It does get bogged down a little bit if you're making a completely new bed and have to cut through untouched grass and soil to make the lines.

It makes a good, deep cut/drop off for the mulch to sit in.

If the soil is wet, mud will cake up on the inner part of the shield and cause a lot of friction at the blade, which slows the blade down and makes the machine work a LOT harder and slower.

My fix for that is to just carry a putty knife and scrape it away when you notice the machine struggling. It takes 5-10 seconds.

So if you ACTUALLY have the work to support such a specialized tool, then buy it. It would certainly be worth your money.

If all you do are a couple of flowerbeds a week/month, save the $600 and use a stick edger, the end result is almost the same.

I'll try to take some pics soon of a jobsite with the beds redefined. Might stop by it tonight.

Thanks for your time to post this, as I'm thinking of one of these too!

zak406
10-28-2011, 01:36 AM
I demoed one and was not impressed, maybe i did something wrong?

Deererunner
10-28-2011, 10:50 AM
Thanks for all of the comments so far!! Keep them coming, all very useful! I am trying to find a dealer around me that will let me demo a unit so I can try it out for myself but def. keeping all of your responses in my head.

Thanks!!

ron mexico75
10-28-2011, 10:58 AM
Here is a link to a thread I started about the same tool. Just a few more posts for you...

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=362703

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
10-28-2011, 11:16 AM
We demoed one in the spring. Kt was ok for sprucing up an edge but not for cutting an actual edge in the fashion that we like to cut them. This doesn't mean it may not work well for you. Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Deererunner
10-28-2011, 12:10 PM
Here is a link to a thread I started about the same tool. Just a few more posts for you...

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=362703

Very useful! Thank you!

sven1277
10-31-2011, 10:35 AM
I have it and it works pretty well. Doesn't do a good job in wet soil, a bigger machine is much better in these conditions. I always hit the edges twice. It will cut new edges in, go slow for the first cut, then clean it up with a second go. The second go around makes a big difference and doesn't add much time. Its great for tight tree rings. I like it. Obviously not as powerful as a pull behind unit, but its light weight and maneuverability makes up for it. Most mulch jobs I just include this service in the price at no additional cost. its quick and looks good. We also swap out the bit for a regular edging blade and use it for sidewalks as well to get even more use out of it. I wish it had a larger engine. The aluminum guard has also needed replacing twice as it cracked in the same place both times.

PerfectEarth
10-31-2011, 11:44 AM
I have one and it sits in the shop a lot.

The first year I had it, we had a dry spring and it was great to do edges on my regular mulch properties that had been edged before. A great touch-up tool.

MUST be dry out to effectively use the thing... I scrape mine off all the time also- like someone said earlier.

Could I have got away without buying it? Sure.

bobcat48
10-31-2011, 08:20 PM
It looks lik a nice machine,i have never used one before.

FoghornLeghorn
12-01-2011, 10:56 AM
It looks lik a nice machine,i have never used one before.

Nice, very nice indeed...

I have used this piece of crap 8 times maybe? Total operation time of 1.5 hours in almost a year.

This machine will clog up at even the slightest hint of soil moisture. It is underpowered even with the 280 motor, it needs the 42cc motor that's in the top of the line brushcutter.

Don't buy this tool, use an edger with a sharp blade or get a trenchblade for your edger. This tool is an edger with aluminum housing meant to support the rotational weight of a small edger blade, not a huge 3 fingered carbide blade.

Echo needs to go back to the drawing board on this product.

Patriot Services
12-01-2011, 11:07 AM

I have used this piece of crap 8 times maybe? Total operation time of 1.5 hours in almost a year.

This machine will clog up at even the slightest hint of soil moisture. It is underpowered even with the 280 motor, it needs the 42cc motor that's in the top of the line brushcutter.

Don't buy this tool, use an edger with a sharp blade or get a trenchblade for your edger. This tool is an edger with aluminum housing meant to support the rotational weight of a small edger blade, not a huge 3 fingered carbide blade.

Wow, I would expect way more from a 600 dollar piece of equipment.

hackitdown
12-01-2011, 05:25 PM
I own one, I like it a lot. I can prep an existing edge on a bed very, very fast. A large lot with 400 feet of edging would be 2 or 3 hours work for 2 guys to cut the edge and remove the material. With this thing I can do it alone in 10 minutes. And there is nothing to clean out or haul off, everything is pulverized. Just run the blower after to disperse the stuff.

It cost me $600. But if I can save 1 to 3 hours of labor on the 20 or 30 mulch jobs we do every spring, I think it is a very valuable tool. I still charge the customer the same. This was my 2nd season, I'll probably get 8 more years out of it. Huge ROI.

Now for those guys that feel that they need to expose 3 inches of the profile of the dirt before you see mulch, it will not work. It only cuts about 2.5 inches down. But I fill my edges with mulch anyway, I like the way it looks when the edge is full up to the grass. I have no customer complaints from the BDR cuts.

I now cut new beds with it too. I just run it over 2 or 3 times. Beats shoveling.

ralph02813
12-03-2011, 07:26 AM
HMM, I have not tried the brd 280 but have tried similiar tools, they all caused me to learn to do a nice job on the edges with my weed whacker so I get a nice square edge and keep it, If I need to cut a new bed I will rent the real bed cutter.

Deererunner
12-03-2011, 12:14 PM

how the heck did that happen to the machine, did it do it to itself or did you get to the point of no return with frustration and busted it against concrete?

andyslawncare
12-12-2011, 11:08 PM
bluebird is the way to go for bed edging. Echo makes good stuff, but its bed edger is not enough to do the job well, I beleive.

LawnScapers of Dayton
12-13-2011, 08:45 AM
I use mine in conjunction with my Mantis mini tiller. I take one side of the tiller blades off, use it to cut the new edge, then use the the redefiner to clean it up and clear the dirt that spills into the new cut. I finish with my string trimmer with an edgit.....that is what make the edge sharp and defined.... It has its purpose but I will not wrestle it to cut a new edge....it takes to long. As stated dry ground is the best time to use it......

Patriot Services
12-13-2011, 09:47 AM
I use mine in conjunction with my Mantis mini tiller. I take one side of the tiller blades off, use it to cut the new edge, then use the the redefiner to clean it up and clear the dirt that spills into the new cut. I finish with my string trimmer with an edgit.....that is what make the edge sharp and defined.... It has its purpose but I will not wrestle it to cut a new edge....it takes to long. As stated dry ground is the best time to use it......

Three power tools to cut an edge? I'm sure the end product looks great but I bet I could beat your time with my half moon hand edger.
Posted via Mobile Device

LawnScapers of Dayton
12-13-2011, 10:17 AM
Three power tools to cut an edge? I'm sure the end product looks great but I bet I could beat your time with my half moon hand edger.
Posted via Mobile Device

Good for you......

my services are priced accordingly.....not that you should care......

ralph02813
12-13-2011, 06:45 PM

what do you use in conjunction with the tiller.

LawnScapers of Dayton
12-13-2011, 06:57 PM
:hammerhead:

The thread is about the Echo Bed Re-definer.........that is what I use in conjunction with the tiller.

:dizzy:

ralph02813
12-13-2011, 07:10 PM
:hammerhead:

The thread is about the Echo Bed Re-definer.........that is what I use in conjunction with the tiller.

:dizzy:

thanks, I did get lost now it all makes sense.

Puddle of Oil
12-13-2011, 08:56 PM
I hated it! Can't use it when its wet because it clogs. There needs to be a pretty decent edge already in place before you see any results with this. Even then, the edge still looks like crap

LawnScapers of Dayton
12-14-2011, 07:23 AM
I hated it! Can't use it when its wet because it clogs. There needs to be a pretty decent edge already in place before you see any results with this. Even then, the edge still looks like crap

Yep.....that's why I use it the way I do
Posted via Mobile Device

Deererunner
12-14-2011, 10:18 AM
Looks like I pretty much made up my mind where I am not going to get one based on what everyone is saying about it. Pretty much the machine seems to not have a big enough engine on it. Do you think a bigger engine would work better with it, for instance, the blade it comes with, does that it self do a good job or is the whole thing junk?

Thanks for all your input!

LawnScapers of Dayton
12-14-2011, 12:26 PM
I think the blade is functional......I wonder about putting it on a walk behind edger
Posted via Mobile Device

Deererunner
12-14-2011, 02:03 PM
DRM: If the blade is functional, what I am thinking of is putting it on higher power/more torque stick edger, Just modify it so it will accept the bed blade. I have used the big self propelled units before but they are not great around trees, especially if they have shallow roots, thats why I have been debating about this machine

cpllawncare
12-17-2011, 08:57 PM
Would not a regular hand held edger work? one with a large cc engine?

Patriot Services
12-17-2011, 09:50 PM
Once a sharp edge is established a stick edger will keep it that way pretty well. Even a string trimmer will work but it tends to fling the mulch around. The bed redefiner isn't really meant to be a every mow type of tool.
Posted via Mobile Device

cpllawncare
12-17-2011, 10:48 PM
I guess the question is what is the best tool for establishing a edge?

Patriot Services
12-17-2011, 10:59 PM
Brown, Bluebirdb or LW. Check the videos on their websites.
Posted via Mobile Device

metro36
12-21-2011, 03:30 PM
Could anybody tell me what size the hole in the middle of the BRD head is? I have and old powertrim edger that I was thinking about mounting the head to it if possible. I think the 4 hp motor would have the power to run it better than the 28cc motor. I think the powertrim has a 1/2" arbor shaft.