PDA

View Full Version : Ford Motor - Exhaust Manifold Issues

mlavin73
10-27-2011, 03:41 PM
I just got my truck back from the dealership yesterday after having an exhaust manifold replaced. I guess they apparently start rusting out. I have a 2006 Ford F250 with the 5.4 gas motor. The passenger side one went at about 39000 miles and the drivers side just went at 43000 miles. The dealership says they replace these all the time. The next time one goes it will be coming out of my pocket. Was wondering if anyone has found a higher quality one that will last longer? I'm hoping when the day comes that I have to foot the bill, I can replace it with a more reliable one than Ford uses. Fortunatly when they did mine none of the studs broke. Any advice?

AI Inc
10-27-2011, 04:10 PM
Ive had 4 , 5.4s # went to 190,00 and all had to be replaced just once. Had an indy do em , not sure if he used something else or not. I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

mlavin73
10-27-2011, 05:22 PM
I'm not so much worried about the price (although I hear it's not cheap). My big fear is down time with the truck. As of right now I only have 1 truck. When speaking to the service manager they had one truck in the shop currently where the studs broke off and they had the truck for 2 weeks repairing.

ecurbthims
10-27-2011, 10:46 PM
"dorman" makes replacement manifolds with a lifetime warranty ,and a good muffler shop can handle the install broken studs and all in no time .

AI Inc
10-28-2011, 06:47 AM
I'm not so much worried about the price (although I hear it's not cheap). My big fear is down time with the truck. As of right now I only have 1 truck. When speaking to the service manager they had one truck in the shop currently where the studs broke off and they had the truck for 2 weeks repairing.

Once your warrenty is over find a good independant. Mine only had my truck for a day.

Marek
10-30-2011, 06:01 PM
My 08 v10 is in the shop for broken studs right now. Several had to be welded and pulled others broke off flush. Waiting now for engineer from ford to see what they want to do. Sounds like the heads are going to be pulled. From what I was told the new studs are made from a another material and do not rust,but I have heard so much BS from ford over the years that I will believe it when I see it .

Greyst1
12-08-2011, 02:48 AM
I just made this repair over the weekend. My 06' 250 started to tick about 14 months ago so i started to research on Ford Truck Enthusiast website and found out that on the 5.4l's the manifold bolds rust out and or the manifolds warp causing an exhaust leak. Well me being me i wanted to correct this problem so i bought a set of stainless JBA headers and stainless hardware. Not wanting to mess with it i let the dealer do the install ($375.00) and as soon as i started the truck up the tick still existed. I spoke to the dealer again and he told me it was because fab headers don't have the wall thickness like casted manifold do. Made sense so i carried on plus plow season was around the corner and i didn't want to not have a truck.

So anyhow, a year later i could take the noise anymore i i opened everything up. Headers are not the way to go. Unless you pull the engine you cannot properly torq the header bolts. There is so little room to work with its a real PITA. Headers are designed in such a way you cannot get a wrench to the bolts because of the shock/spring mount. It's ridiculous. You need to properly torq the manifold bolts to get a proper seal. No if's ands or buts it needs to be done and done with stainless so you correct the design flaw from Ford.

I put a set of Dorman's and stainless bolts and took my time properly torqing them to about 22-25lbs each starting with 1, 2, 3 and so on an so forth.

Took me two days, (replaced exhaust and did brakes) but the tick is gone and horsepower has been regained. For the 05's and up this job is a mother efr! Get yourself a swivel and plenty of extensions, oh a plenty of cold one because your patience will be tested.

The FTE website has tons of write ups on this.