PDA

View Full Version : Who 's Glad not to plow snow ? ME !

Turfcutters Plus
10-27-2011, 04:06 PM
I am glad i am still on rock star salary with Beatles tribute bands as Ringo Starr . I gave up my snow plowing biz 5 years ago for it and have NO REGRETS ! Have fun with that snow plowing :hammerhead:crap !!!!!!!!:cool2:

punt66
10-27-2011, 04:25 PM
I hate plowing too! HATE IT! But i still do it. My new truck is gettting the plow installed today. This may be my last year though. I hope so anyway.

Glenn Lawn Care
10-27-2011, 04:45 PM
Its definitely not my favorite, but there is good money in it.

soloscaperman
10-27-2011, 04:49 PM
PUNT your putting a plow on that new Dodge?

punt66
10-27-2011, 04:59 PM
PUNT your putting a plow on that new Dodge?

of course......

Hoy landscaping
10-27-2011, 05:02 PM
i love plowing! other then the long hours its not too bad. Sitting in the heated truck listening to my tunes all day

soloscaperman
10-27-2011, 05:38 PM
i love plowing! other then the long hours its not too bad. Sitting in the heated truck listening to my tunes all day

True but when you get like over a foot of snow it isn't fun or when there are multiply storms and you have no time to go home and rest.

M & MD Lawn
10-27-2011, 06:21 PM
I'm excited....... Its my first year!! lmao

punt66
10-27-2011, 06:28 PM
I'm excited....... Its my first year!! lmao

good luck! hahah you will hate it when 3am rolls around and you hear the town trucks go by plowing and check the weather report all night long and are tired before you even step out the door. :cry: But your only 20 and you been ding it since 12? hahah

dieseltech
10-27-2011, 07:11 PM
Dont like the hours but it brings me good money. Cant count on it but when it does, man i love it
Posted via Mobile Device

nepatsfan
10-27-2011, 07:17 PM
Plowing sucks......definitely great money but if this snow comes like they say saturday I may jump in front of a plow truck.

Km81
10-27-2011, 07:31 PM
I cant wait for Winter every year! I love everything about plowing. I could do without cutting lawns.

Wright48
10-27-2011, 07:42 PM
Plowing is great money, if your in the biz you have to offer it ive lost accounts from not offering snow plowing people want to deal with one contractor for all there needs most of the time. Plus we dont work all winter anyways doesnt anyone else have bills thats not plowing ?????

mybowtie
10-27-2011, 08:24 PM
Bring it on...Make more per hr plowing then doing lawns..Look forward to each storm.

dfor
10-27-2011, 08:56 PM
I don't like it, find it a burden. Have heard of a couple of guys that have had heart attacks while plowing. Not sure why, but it is tiring. It is easier than it looks. But the money is good.

THEGOLDPRO
10-27-2011, 09:09 PM
I too despise plowing. But i have to do it.

punt66
10-27-2011, 09:25 PM

it sucks doesnt it. I have nightmares about it. Hahaha i would much rather be at home sleeping or playing monopoly with my family. This should be my last year of the crap though. :drinkup:

Exact Rototilling
10-27-2011, 09:34 PM
I don't plow but use 100% blowers on small residential drives....taking a break from it this winter. I'll miss the $ but not the being married to the weather and forecast drill. Being in truck all day I'm sure has it's fatigue factor but running blowers all day solo for over 12+ hours really sucks. Power nap for an hour then work the other business till 2-4 am repeat the drill. :hammerhead:

weeze
10-27-2011, 09:38 PM
snow plowing?...what is that?...we have shovels down here lmao

lawnkingforever
10-27-2011, 09:49 PM
Most of my lawn customers own snowblowers, but I do get requests for snow removal. I choose not to provide this service. If I would start losing accounts over this, I would provide snow removal services. I would probably buy a good snowblower and subcontract the work out.
Posted via Mobile Device

nepatsfan
10-27-2011, 10:02 PM

it sucks doesnt it. I have nightmares about it. Hahaha i would much rather be at home sleeping or playing monopoly with my family. This should be my last year of the crap though. :drinkup:

I honestly probably wouldn't mind it if I could plow for the town or state rather than doing driveways or parking lots. Its not even plowing for me, its the stress, customers calling....my guys calling me, trucks breaking and what not. If I could just put all the trucks on for the town I would make less money but I will probably live a longer life...

A little off topic...how is your health punt? feeling better?

punt66
10-27-2011, 10:31 PM
I honestly probably wouldn't mind it if I could plow for the town or state rather than doing driveways or parking lots. Its not even plowing for me, its the stress, customers calling....my guys calling me, trucks breaking and what not. If I could just put all the trucks on for the town I would make less money but I will probably live a longer life...

hanging in there. I am down to 195lbs! That is the bad. I am skin and bone. But over all i am doing ok. Thanks for asking.

BPS##
10-27-2011, 11:09 PM
You plowing haters what are you doing for winter income?

I found out real quick yesterday how much work plowing is.
It is not nearly so fun or easy as it looks watching some one else plow.

But I love benjamins.

BPS##
10-27-2011, 11:12 PM
it sucks doesnt it. I have nightmares about it.

Staying up all night or starting your day at 2am is what separates the men from the boys. :weightlifter: :weightlifter:

Also refer to my sig line of pros versus non pros. :drinkup:

DA Quality Lawn & YS
10-27-2011, 11:38 PM
You know, I said I would never move snow for biz. I worked a different part time job 'for the man' in my offseason (winter). Now I have found that I really don't want to work for anyone anymore. So, I am planning on doing just a handful of residentials this winter with snowblower/shovels. However, I will never buy a truck and plow, never. (Give me 3 years I will probably have a truck setup:)

bradsander
10-28-2011, 01:18 AM
We're finally getting some rain here in Texas.....highs in the 70s.....Looks like our mowing season is finally going to get going this week!

BPS##
10-28-2011, 06:41 AM
We're finally getting some rain here in Texas.....highs in the 70s.....Looks like our mowing season is finally going to get going this week!

You must have a different kind of grass than we do.
Once our KB and native grasses go dormant from lack of moisture its going to take 3 weeks or a month for it to begin needing regular services.

punt66
10-28-2011, 07:59 AM
Staying up all night or starting your day at 2am is what separates the men from the boys. :weightlifter: :weightlifter:

Also refer to my sig line of pros versus non pros. :drinkup:

Oh i know. I have been doing it without fail for 20 years.

THEGOLDPRO
10-28-2011, 08:27 AM

I know what you mean. I cant sleep at all the night before a storm. My stomach is usually tied in knots worrying about equipment and accounts.

BPS##
10-28-2011, 09:46 AM
Oh i know. I have been doing it without fail for 20 years.

So you're trying to tell us you've done enough separating the men from the boys to have proven yourself and now its time to pass the torch?

Sounds reasonable.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
10-28-2011, 09:54 AM
Qwe
Posted via Mobile Device

M & MD Lawn
10-28-2011, 11:14 AM
good luck! hahah you will hate it when 3am rolls around and you hear the town trucks go by plowing and check the weather report all night long and are tired before you even step out the door. :cry: But your only 20 and you been ding it since 12? hahah

I have done sidewalks before and had to be up early and that was no fun, Iam looking forward to be just in the truck and yea I have been in the biz since 12 but this is the first year for plowing with the truck.

punt66
10-28-2011, 02:28 PM
I have done sidewalks before and had to be up early and that was no fun, Iam looking forward to be just in the truck and yea I have been in the biz since 12 but this is the first year for plowing with the truck.

Well it is not just sitting in the truck. You have to shovel out the garages as well. I would much rather be doing sidewalks with a blower then be in a truck. It is more stressfull then you think it is and more work then you think it is.

M & MD Lawn
10-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Well it is not just sitting in the truck. You have to shovel out the garages as well. I would much rather be doing sidewalks with a blower then be in a truck. It is more stressfull then you think it is and more work then you think it is.

I have been doing residentials since I started, I understand what you are saying though, but I think I rather be in the truck majority than be outside, but im tired and beat up either way so hell lol
Posted via Mobile Device

punt66
10-28-2011, 02:52 PM
I have been doing residentials since I started, I understand what you are saying though, but I think I rather be in the truck majority than be outside, but im tired and beat up either way so hell lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Hahaha The way i see it is i want it to snow every other day or not at all. Basically show me the money or leave me alone! :drinkup:

Were expecting 10"+ tomarrow night! Just had the plow installed on my truck and picked it up this morning. Can you say close call? 10" in October? :hammerhead:

chesterlawn
10-28-2011, 03:26 PM
I love it! I'm only out 4-6 hours depending on the storm and I don't get out of the truck unless I want to streach. I told all my customers that I just plow and don't shovel. I find it's best if the snow stops around midnight, then you have all night with no traffic to plow, no onelse but other plow trucks on the road. Plus I make $300 hour!

hackitdown
10-28-2011, 03:44 PM
We are expecting 3 to 6 inches tomorrow night. One plow isn't working, looks like a long day.

We don't shovel either. Too much work.

BPS##
10-28-2011, 07:15 PM
We don't shovel either. Too much work.

I've got worker bees. :laugh: :walking:

Five Points
10-28-2011, 08:13 PM
little town I live, the two excavating companies have all the big stuff i do a ton of side walks and resi drives of my costumers. two blowers (one spare) couple shovels and some salt. Not very stressfull. a good snow i bill about thousand for the day net about 750 after wages and fuel. For you fellas with trucks is this anywhere close to what you do in a day.

Nice thing about the sidewalks, i go out even if its a skiff. love it i can make a quick 300 before the kids even head off for school.

nepatsfan
10-28-2011, 09:03 PM
I know what you mean. I cant sleep at all the night before a storm. My stomach is usually tied in knots worrying about equipment and accounts.

The worst part is that a lot of times it makes for 2 consecutive nights without sleep. I get the exact same way. Looking out the window every half hour. No sleep whatsoever, it turns into two all nighters a lot. I used to get all fired up and excited about snow, loved being out all night, but the more responsibility comes more stress. Now I do it strictly for the money and to keep landscaping customers. Then you come home smelling like a cross between a wet dog and someone in the occupy movement, take a shower, get some sleep and last year it was get ready to go out again. Or wash the sanders out, make repairs, wash the trucks and plows off.

Rinse and repeat......

do I sound bitter, I'm only 32.....imagine when I'm 50:dizzy:

moneyclass
10-28-2011, 09:52 PM
Dam this will be my first year doing snow removal (with a snow blower) but from reading alot of people really hate it.

Five Points
10-28-2011, 10:22 PM
Dam this will be my first year doing snow removal (with a snow blower) but from reading alot of people really hate it.

Oh its not to bad unless its -20, windy, snowing or that sleet kind that feels like nails in the face, or to warm and slushy.(snowblowers dont make very good waterpumps) Best is when a newspaper gets stuck in it.:hammerhead:

Actually those things dont happen that often. My customers like how we clean right up to the edges, blow across the yard and gone, i have a spare so i dont worry bout breakdowns. I do get sick of early mornings by March though.:canadaflag:

I did plow for ten yrs prior to going on my own. I do miss the warmth of a cozy cab, tunes and a coffee holder.

moneyclass
10-29-2011, 10:04 AM
Oh its not to bad unless its -20, windy, snowing or that sleet kind that feels like nails in the face, or to warm and slushy.(snowblowers dont make very good waterpumps) Best is when a newspaper gets stuck in it.:hammerhead:

Actually those things dont happen that often. My customers like how we clean right up to the edges, blow across the yard and gone, i have a spare so i dont worry bout breakdowns. I do get sick of early mornings by March though.:canadaflag:

I did plow for ten yrs prior to going on my own. I do miss the warmth of a cozy cab, tunes and a coffee holder.

So you snow blow and not plow? What do you typically charge? I was thinking $20 but people in another post was telling me thats way to low.

prezek
10-29-2011, 11:36 AM
Damn. I thought I was the only one that hated it. Not that we get a ton around here, but like another poster mentioned, snow every other day or not at all. The money is great for THAT DAY, but the stress on you and the equipment, uugghhh.

ommegang
10-29-2011, 05:33 PM
I am still trying to get paid for last year as a sub to the tune of 180 hrs less gas. Good money if paid. But I had some snow blowing too - not good. Sucks to load the tailgate salter too. Hours of course suck. I just got out of bed when they called me. Can't imagine if you had to moniter things b4 plowing while losing sleep. I don't mine pushing snow especially if you can go in circles occassionally. Backing-up get's old in tight spaces and many parked cars. Not worth the stress and abuse with truck. Loader and multiple accounts next to each other is key!!!!.

Five Points
10-29-2011, 05:49 PM
So you snow blow and not plow? What do you typically charge? I was thinking $20 but people in another post was telling me thats way to low.

residential drives that are two cars wide and two deep are about 27.5 some 25. some are 35. i have a block of 10 drives we can do in 2 to 2.5 hrs. store sidewalks i do are anywhere from 30 to 45. I do them as quick as drives but include salt. Also have some bigger sidewalks at institutions that i charge just under 40 an hr. sounds low but there are lots of hrs and make for some nice cheques. I dont get rich off snow but keeps me going not too much stress. and my winter exspenses are very low. hope that helps otherwise pm me eh.

bobcat48
10-29-2011, 05:52 PM
Caint wait till i get my plow.

Classic Cuts Lawn Service
11-01-2011, 04:36 PM
I think if I plowed my feet would fall asleep...

AI Inc
11-01-2011, 04:43 PM
Blood money
a neccessary evil.
a winter hobby

Ive heard it called all that and more. But will be doing it again for my 37th yr.