PDA

View Full Version : Edger?

moneyclass
10-27-2011, 07:59 PM
Was wondering what you like better.......a walk behind edger or a stick edger?

FoghornLeghorn
10-27-2011, 08:15 PM
I can't think of a single instance where anyone would ACTUALLY prefer to use a huge 3.5HP walk behind edger instead of a stick edger. They're heavy, hard to maneuver, take up a ton of space on a trailer. Maybe I'm living in a bubble, but I just can't see their use anymore.

lawnkingforever
10-27-2011, 09:33 PM
I can't think of a single instance where anyone would ACTUALLY prefer to use a huge 3.5HP walk behind edger instead of a stick edger. They're heavy, hard to maneuver, take up a ton of space on a trailer. Maybe I'm living in a bubble, but I just can't see their use anymore.

I tend to agree. I had an older wb edger and sold it a few months ago. It came in handy for really overgrown sidewalks. I also used it in the spring for the first edging on some of my larger properties. This edger along with some other seldom used equipment had to go to free up space in one of my sheds.
Posted via Mobile Device

Aaronnc
10-28-2011, 02:22 AM
I can't think of a single instance where anyone would ACTUALLY prefer to use a huge 3.5HP walk behind edger instead of a stick edger.

I can think of quite a few. A local high school with 14k feet of sidewalks. (Almost 3 miles.) You gonna edge with stick edgers? I doubt it, unless you have 8 people doing it. Plus sometimes, you might catch a property that has those funky 12 inch tall curbs, and yeah, your gonna need a wheeled one for that. The Tanaka TLE-600 is the one I see the most, maybe a little wonder or McClane here and there.

While I agree wholeheartedly, that for 90% of jobs, your gonna want stick edger, but there are definitely properties that exist that has me wanting a wheeled one badly.

moneyclass
10-28-2011, 10:52 AM
Thanks everyone for the info...

Any certain name brands you recommend? Echo or Stihl?

Aaronnc
10-28-2011, 11:06 AM
Myself, I like the Stihl FC 90 (curved shaft: higher blade speed) or FC 110 (straight shaft: slower blade speed; higher torque). Experience with both, and they are both great. Highly recommended.

I've been really wanting to check out the new Redmax HEZ3060S also, but haven't yet. It looks great on paper. (If anyone has this one, hit me up with some info!)

No experience with Echo or Shindaiwa, (edgers that is).. etc..... can't help you there.

JDiepstra
10-28-2011, 11:19 AM
My advice is get the most powerful stick edger you can afford. There is absolutely no need for a walk behind edger if you have a powerful stick edger.

clydebusa
10-28-2011, 07:22 PM

You live in a bubble, walk behind is easier on my back.

agrostis
10-28-2011, 09:41 PM
You need both kind's. A walk behind for that initial edge and then a stick to maintain it.

douglee25
10-29-2011, 12:25 PM
I use a walk behind edger for the initial cut in the spring time. I maintain it with trimmer used on the side. The key to using a trimmer when edging is to use it from the sidewalk or curb side, not the grass side. Many people who use it on the grass side tend to remove more and more 'edge' every cut which ultimately turns that nice edge into a trench. Customers hate the trench!

Doug

jsslawncare
10-29-2011, 12:50 PM
Push edger's are great. I've had several given to me over the years. I always seem to need the motor for something else. I think in modern lawn maintenance, there is no use for them. We don't use a mule and plow anymore.

Aaronnc
10-29-2011, 01:02 PM
You need both kind's. A walk behind for that initial edge and then a stick to maintain it.

While I'm a fan of wb edgers in rare instances, my FC 110 can establish an edge on anything. It's a monster. (But heavy.)

I know alot of guys who have big cc straight shafts to initially establish the edge and then the lower cc curved shaft ones to maintain it.

If someone forced me to choose only one though, I'd have to op for the FC 90.

Me personally, I'd recommend if you have no experience with edgers, to go and rent one of each for a day, and then decide which one you like best!

cpllawncare
10-30-2011, 07:07 PM
Me personally, I'd recommend if you have no experience with edgers, to go and rent one of each for a day, and then decide which one you like best!

Now there's an idea! I'll bet you'll decide on the stick, let us know!

clydebusa
10-31-2011, 04:30 PM
Push edger's are great. I've had several given to me over the years. I always seem to need the motor for something else. I think in modern lawn maintenance, there is no use for them. We don't use a mule and plow anymore.

Apples and oranges, my friend. I like the modern day statement.

JimmyTheGlove
10-31-2011, 06:12 PM
Thanks everyone for the info...

Any certain name brands you recommend? Echo or Stihl?

This is a good question that I'd like some more of you guys to answer.. :waving:

Stihl, right?

cpllawncare
10-31-2011, 07:43 PM
Being my first commercial trimmer and or edger, I went with what 95% of the guys on here use, STIHL! I have been very impressed thus far, and would recommend Stihl to anybody. Each brand has it's good and bad but in the end you can't go wrong starting with a Stihl.

Mudly
10-31-2011, 08:47 PM
im a echo guy currently have a few PE 3100 models. The newer models are PE 280 top of the line for echo edgers. the PE 3100 is so powerful you need to ask yourself how fast you can run when edging. i'm willing to bet i can edge faster then any 3.5 hp wb out there with the PE 3100. This is a serious bet if you live near me.

Exact Rototilling
10-31-2011, 10:45 PM
im a echo guy currently have a few PE 3100 models. The newer models are PE 280 top of the line for echo edgers. the PE 3100 is so powerful you need to ask yourself how fast you can run when edging. i'm willing to bet i can edge faster then any 3.5 hp wb out there with the PE 3100. This is a serious bet if you live near me.
I'm assuming this is a straight shaft edger? I have the Pas 265 with the curved shaft and I find it weak compared to.my tanaka tle600 WB....
Posted via Mobile Device

ReddensLawnCare
11-01-2011, 11:42 AM
How about one of these for long areas. I talked to the rep last year and he said the pro 2 stroke was somewhere around 600, I think. Here is the link.
http://www.atomindustries.com.au/index.php?x=edger_pro2

douglee25
11-01-2011, 11:45 AM
How about one of these for long areas. I talked to the rep last year and he said the pro 2 stroke was somewhere around 600, I think. Here is the link.

That looks like a slick unit there!

Doug

clydebusa
11-01-2011, 12:06 PM

Its now all about speed and to each his own. I have both, but at 2100 ft of edging on one account I use the walk behind if I do it, now my young help runs with the stick and I love it.

Exact Rototilling
11-01-2011, 12:18 PM
Sure would like to.try one out and compare it with my TLE-600 and Mclane WB.

Posted via Mobile Device

JimmyTheGlove
11-01-2011, 02:11 PM
Its now all about speed and to each his own. I have both, but at 2100 ft of edging on one account I use the walk behind if I do it, now my young help runs with the stick and I love it.

Sounds like a good system. At 2100 ft I'd use a WB too. I sure would like an account that big so I'd have an excuse to try one out. Never had the pleasure of using a real WB like that Atom 570. Dang! ;)

ReddensLawnCare
11-01-2011, 06:58 PM
So I just got off the phone with the guys from atom industries. Their branch in the states is in hickory nc. About two hours away. He is going to bring one down one for me to try for a week. So if you guys have any questions hopefully I can give a good answer and review.
Posted via Mobile Device

douglee25
11-01-2011, 07:00 PM
Solid. Keep us posted.

Doug

Mudly
11-01-2011, 08:51 PM
I'm assuming this is a straight shaft edger? I have the Pas 265 with the curved shaft and I find it weak compared to.my tanaka tle600 WB....
Posted via Mobile Device

yes its the most powerful stick edger they put out, however the newer 280s are supposed to be more powerful. your PAS is not geared to be a edger this would be the drawback.

freshcut419
03-30-2012, 10:54 PM
You live in a bubble, walk behind is easier on my back.

Yeah same here Im thing of buying another tanaka edger and ge away the the stick edgers