PDA

View Full Version : no leaves in CT this year?

supercuts
10-27-2011, 07:23 PM
ive been doign this since i was 12 years old which is over 22 years now. i cannot recall ever not having enough leaves to justify a leaf blower. I dont know if it is from hurricane Irene or how it went from winter to summer skipping spring this year that there just are not alot of leaves at all. we use a 12' f550 dump with a monstrous leaf box. we have some lawns we will take out 2.5 loads for fall cleanups. this year i fit two of those lawns in less than one load and almost all the leaves are down!!! dont get me wrong...my prices are set and im happy. the only thing that worries me is now they are saying snow saturday night.

but the question is....where are the leaves??

agrostis
10-27-2011, 08:33 PM
When hurricane Hugo blew through Charlotte NC in 1989 it took 80% of the leaves to VA. There was hardly anything to blow that year.

Darryl G
10-28-2011, 12:47 AM
Where I am down on the shore Irene caused a lot of leaves to drop during the storm and then for a lot more to drop in the weeks after. A lot of the trees were totally bare but actually put out new leaves. So I have a lot of properties that are all but cleaned up at this point. The oaks on my properties up in the woods are still holding on as usual...those will still be a while before they drop. So I think I'm going to go after 1 time cleanups and piles this year.

supercuts
10-28-2011, 08:01 AM
yes, our lawns on the immediate shoreline completely lost their leaves to windburn. many dropped soon after. 5 miles inland though, the trees looked good but i cant believe how few leaves. I agree i should only go out once this year, but my customers are accustom to me at least twice. and with all this snow now i started this week. hopefully by next friday ill have done most quickly so i can at least charge half if the snow keeps coming.

3-10" on Saturday????? wtf? im so happy i swapped out my first straigt blade for a V plow last year. with the heavy prediction of alot of snow again i bought a second boss vxt two weeks ago.

punt66
10-28-2011, 08:05 AM
same up here in northern CT. all cleanups are a breeze this year.

Darryl G
10-28-2011, 08:45 AM
Not to get too far off topic, but I have the Boss VXT and it is great for those big storms. No more having to fight my way into driveways pushing back the corners with my truck in a dangerous and precarious position half way out in the road....just put it in V and favor one side of the driveway and drive right in. It's great for doing parking lot lanes in the inverted V position while cars are parked in the slots and it stacks like crazy too. After a brief "shakedown" period my Boss has been trouble free except for one broken wing return spring. The only problem I have is my Chevy 2500HD runs hot with it on long runs between accounts no matter what position I put it in...gotta open the window and crank the heat.

Groomer
10-28-2011, 09:33 AM
funny this came up, was just talking about this to my landscape bud the other day. We've noticed the same, very light in volume compared to usual. thought maybe last years drought, coupled with dutch elm and ash borer problems has taken its toll..

Kelly's Landscaping
10-30-2011, 10:34 PM
Haven't even started clean ups yet (but the best we can ever hope for here is a Nov 10th start) the trees are still about 50% green here so I got another 7-10 days of mowing before we get serious about setting up for clean ups. Then if I am lucky maybe just maybe we will get to start clean ups a week before thanksgiving. But on the leaf volume point last year by this time we had to stop mowing because the leaves would fill the 5 yards are cutting trucks hold in 3-6 lawns. This season we are still getting 20-40 lawn cuts in between dumps so they are 2-3 weeks late this year.

lakesregionscapes
10-31-2011, 08:24 AM
Truly messed up fall this year: like you guys, it does seem like the leaves are thin on the ground here - between a fungal outbreak that made whole blocks of trees go brown and drop everything in late August, tons of rain and strong winds for weeks on end blowing the fall foliage into the next town, and the fact that 30% of the trees *still* haven't turned and dropped their leaves... The vac has only been out twice so far this season.
And now we have 10 inches of snow all mixed in with the mess. Our fall income is looking very, very lean this year. Our prices are fixed, but if we can't get to the yards it doesn't matter either way. All we can do is hope a week of temps in the 50's is enough magic to make a second chance at cleanup possible.

Darryl G
10-31-2011, 08:52 AM
I just did my invoices for October last nite and my charges to date for fall cleanups are minimal, yet many of my properties are mostly cleaned up....mostly just waiting for the oaks to drop at this point.

sven1277
10-31-2011, 09:21 AM
hopefully the freeze we had last night will start dropping the remaining leaves. I expected more to blow off the trees from the storm winds.

punt66
11-02-2011, 11:24 AM
hopefully the freeze we had last night will start dropping the remaining leaves. I expected more to blow off the trees from the storm winds.

after this devastating storm it looks like fall cleanups will turn into spring cleanups. My saws have had a workout cutting trees out of houses and cutting my way down the roads. We are out of supplies and at one point was trading firewood for gasoline. I had not eaten in over 24 hrs at one point. I even made it on the news!

Darryl G
11-02-2011, 11:37 AM
I just went out on recon and found some lawns to mow/leaves to clean up...about 1/2 day of work. Only snow left down here is piles from plowing/shoveling.

punt66
11-02-2011, 12:48 PM
I just went out on recon and found some lawns to mow/leaves to clean up...about 1/2 day of work. Only snow left down here is piles from plowing/shoveling.

you guys didnt get hi like we did. We are all in survival mode. I have been busy removing trees from houses and driveways. Leaves are the last things on our minds up here.

Darryl G
11-02-2011, 06:25 PM
Yeah light damage here down in the Old Saybrook area. We got hit pretty hard during Irene though.

Kelly's Landscaping
11-02-2011, 06:50 PM
We got nothing like what you got up there I went to my dealer yesterday and once I got around Hamden and Bethany I couldn't believe how bad it got. One road I drove down had over a 100 trees down for the 2 miles or so I was on it I had to drive under a tree supported only be wires and In at-least 6 or 7 spots the roads were less then a lane wide. So if that's what its like 20 miles inland you guys up north must have gotten destroyed. I filled my rack dump truck up with just branches from my yard but sounds like you would jump to trade places.

supercuts
11-03-2011, 04:05 PM
woooohooooo, ive had power for an hour now..... just in time, my generator hydro locked from fuel, the carb is messed up and its been running for 5 days with the gas shut off cracked 3/4's turn open. wish I had a chipper

RSK Property Maintenance
11-03-2011, 11:32 PM
I was about to sell my mower and buy a chipper, but the guy who was gonna sell his chipper backed out for now. So maybe around december ill have a sick chipper. Atleast the dump truck is getting used now. Wouldn't be surprised if I cleared 10,000 this month. We got hit hard by me, driving over, under and around trees has been the norm since Saturday night
Posted via Mobile Device

supercuts
11-04-2011, 06:20 AM
my poor truck was driving through snow covered trees bent all the way down to the road to get though. not just once, but many times. im shocked there are not any noticable scratches or dents. had to go wheelin' a few times around trees into yards/woods to make it through.

MLI
11-04-2011, 05:41 PM
Im in Ma. and the leaves are still green on most trees. Although it seems the trees have lost a good portion of thier leaves prior(maybe Irene). It doesnt look like this is going to be a messy clean up yr.