PDA

View Full Version : Need your reviews please!! Toro Grandstand

jequigle
10-27-2011, 11:17 PM
I am looking at purchasing a Toro Grandstand. Looking at the 48" deck with the 24hp Kawasaki. Dealer quoted me $8000 plus tax. What are your reviews? Thanks!!

lawnkingforever
10-27-2011, 11:29 PM
I have the 48" gs but with 19hp. If you are currently running a wb your productivity will increase big time. Much faster and more comfortable ride. Do not get sucked in by the wb feature, it is useless. With the platform folded up, it does not take up that much space on the trailer or in storage.
Posted via Mobile Device

j-ville native
10-27-2011, 11:37 PM
I don't have one, but I also am interested in the grandstand because of its comfort and cut quality. $8k sounds high. I was quoted $7100 for a brand new 2011 48" Grandstand. You should definitely shop around because you can definitely find a better price than $8k, especially during the winter off season. Good luck.

j-ville native
10-27-2011, 11:39 PM
O yeah, make sure you buy a 2011 or 2012 model because the earlier year models had some issues but the 2011's should be good because they worked out all the bugs

Promise-Land
10-28-2011, 08:44 AM
Great, highly productive, compact and maneuverable. I love my Grandstand. Spend the few hundred more and get the 52". I got my 2011 24/52" for $6900.

sjessen
10-28-2011, 08:57 AM
Watch Ebay for some good prices on demos.

Dodge Boys
10-28-2011, 01:45 PM
I have two 48" Grand Stands.... They're both for sale.... 2009, 48" cut, $3500.00 each - if anyone's interested PM me..... About 600 hrs a piece.... They've been great since all the updates have been done... They sure save a lot of walking!!!

PremierT&L
10-28-2011, 02:23 PM
I'd like to hear some feedback on the 36s. Are the tires wide enough to not rut in damp conditions?

jequigle
10-28-2011, 05:47 PM
I currently run a Toro ztr with a 54 in deck and I like the grandstand due to its compact size. I need something that can handle a slope better than my ztr. It also is much lighter which is something else I like.

Anyone else mind sharing what they paid for there grandstand? I do have 2 Toro dealers within 20 minutes of me so I can see which one has the better price. I just like the one I go to now because of the quality of the customer service.

grassman177
10-28-2011, 07:09 PM
We have t the 48/24, awesome.that price is too high
Posted via Mobile Device

Five Points
10-28-2011, 08:52 PM
I have the 52 inch with 20 hp. bought this spring have put 400 hrs. on.

Like the speed, however this spring was WET and it clumped and held so much in the deck i was not happy at all. Disengage blades and two bushells of crap falls out. double cut and still looked like crap. I cut at 3 or 3.25 inches and found it laid the grass down(wheel lines) Anyone else deal with it. now this fall i put the bagger on it from my old toro and it does a great job on leaves.

Im not bashing this mower but i wasnt to happy with the cutting in wet or a bit thick. Im a doing something wrong, would gator blades help. Other than that never put a wrench on it. climbs anything.

cpllawncare
10-28-2011, 09:21 PM
I've got the 2011/40" model and it's great except on hills, it slides and tears turf especially thin turf. I've tried everything. but it won't work on sloped surfaces, thought I had it figured out this past week and tried on a customers yard and as soon as I hit the slope in the front yard it took off sliding down the hill I had to hit the gas hard to keep the wheels turning to keep from tearing the grass all to pieces. Other than that it's been a great machine.

PremierT&L
10-28-2011, 09:28 PM
I've got the 2011/40" model and it's great except on hills, it slides and tears turf especially thin turf. I've tried everything. but it won't work on sloped surfaces, thought I had it figured out this past week and tried on a customers yard and as soon as I hit the slope in the front yard it took off sliding down the hill I had to hit the gas hard to keep the wheels turning to keep from tearing the grass all to pieces. Other than that it's been a great machine.

are the back tires wide enough? Do you get any rutting when the conditions are a little soft? Thanks.

Jwengerd
10-28-2011, 09:30 PM

Must be your 40" but we had a 52" loaner and it would hold a hill just as steep as the 61" turf tiger and did it very well. Also was impressed with its ability of striping diagonal lines on a steep hill very firm/stable.

Jwengerd
10-28-2011, 09:31 PM
We have t the 48/24, awesome.that price is too high
Posted via Mobile Device

hey grassman how do yours do in the wet stuff? THe one we used did awesome on dry grass but comes to wet/after a rain it just clumps bad.

cpllawncare
10-28-2011, 10:03 PM
Must be your 40" but we had a 52" loaner and it would hold a hill just as steep as the 61" turf tiger and did it very well. Also was impressed with its ability of striping diagonal lines on a steep hill very firm/stable.

I've addressed this on the last GS thread , the only thing we came up with is that I don't weigh enough 165lbs to get the traction I need, everybody else says they have no problems on hills, I concluded that it is an issue with me not the machine. Which sucks for me cause I wanted to buy another one with a 60" deck, actually it was going to be the only kind I was going to buy from here on out.

grassman177
10-28-2011, 10:38 PM
hey grassman how do yours do in the wet stuff? THe one we used did awesome on dry grass but comes to wet/after a rain it just clumps bad.

Cuts the same no matter what, that is why we use them
Posted via Mobile Device

lawnkingforever
10-28-2011, 10:56 PM
I have the 52 inch with 20 hp. bought this spring have put 400 hrs. on.

Like the speed, however this spring was WET and it clumped and held so much in the deck i was not happy at all. Disengage blades and two bushells of crap falls out. double cut and still looked like crap. I cut at 3 or 3.25 inches and found it laid the grass down(wheel lines) Anyone else deal with it. now this fall i put the bagger on it from my old toro and it does a great job on leaves.

Im not bashing this mower but i wasnt to happy with the cutting in wet or a bit thick. Im a doing something wrong, would gator blades help. Other than that never put a wrench on it. climbs anything.

I have no problem with cut. But I do agree this mower really packs the grass under the deck. I have never had to scrape and clean a deck so often. I have the Toro ocdc installed which has a utility bag attached up the lever. In the bag I keep a pair of gloves and a scraper so I can clean the deck in the field when needed. The mower does a great job with leaves.
Posted via Mobile Device

fobaum
10-28-2011, 11:16 PM
I have a 2011 60'' GS, and the only time i have to scrape the deck is when i cut muddy watery weeds maybe its because i have a 60'' deck? On another note i noticed that under the deck there is ALOT of bolts sticking through that catch alot of grass/debris, when i get a chance im cutting them off..

fobaum
10-28-2011, 11:45 PM
I have also cut in the pouring rain and after it stopped raining no clumping at all, that being said on days like that i adjust the baffle to setting C (wet grass setting)=no clumping.

sjessen
10-28-2011, 11:55 PM
I've addressed this on the last GS thread , the only thing we came up with is that I don't weigh enough 165lbs to get the traction I need, everybody else says they have no problems on hills, I concluded that it is an issue with me not the machine. Which sucks for me cause I wanted to buy another one with a 60" deck, actually it was going to be the only kind I was going to buy from here on out.

I plan to get either a Vantage or Grandstand in the 60" size. You might demo the machine to see how it does on hills. I weigh about the same as you. If the rear of the mower needs more weight it could be bolted to the rear frame somehow.

tomsyardcare
04-15-2012, 01:08 AM
I too have been shopping for a gstand. I was quoted $5900 for a 52" 23hp. It is supposed to be a 2011 model leftover. Anyone own one of these? What were the "bugs" that had to be worked out?

cutn4alivin
04-15-2012, 01:18 AM
I recently purchased a 24/48 and it is awesome. However, if I had to do it all over again. I would purchase a scag vride, the floating deck, higher hp are a major plus. 8k is a crazy price. I purchased mine with 100 hours for 5k O.T.D I am looking for another stander and was quoted 6100 for a new 48 scag Vride. Definitely shop around! Good Luck.