PDA

View Full Version : Loading Front Mounts (Walker, Navigator, Cougar) on trailer

Mikegyver
10-28-2011, 08:49 AM
I recently purchased a scag cougar. I cannot for the life of me while going forward get the thing on my trailer (a low utility trailer w/ 4' mesh gate) without jacking the trailer up. Any easier ways to get it on/off the trailer? Would backing it on help?
Thanks
Mike

Jason Rose
10-28-2011, 09:10 AM
Sounds like your trailer isn't all that "low" in the rear, or you need a longer ramp. Also check your trailer and be sure it's sitting at least level and not nose down in the front. That will alter your ramp angle dramatically.

Yes, backing them on (walkers) is generally the way to go.

GMS
10-28-2011, 11:59 AM
Generally you can either back up the ramp or you can drive forward up the ramp diagonally and the cut it back straight after you are over the part where your mower would scrape/catch on the ramp. I have had your problem and both solutions have worked for me.

Mikegyver
10-28-2011, 12:07 PM
@ GMS: So basically go up the ramp at an angle? I.E. start on one side of the ramp and work across as you are going up?

@ Jason Rose- even when level its an issue.

The main issue is getting it on...when going off it lowers the rear of the trailer enough because of weight.

GMS
10-28-2011, 12:56 PM
Yes... But but if you back onto the trailer you don't have to worry about scraping because the deck will "float" over the place where you have been scraping. And when you drive off the ramp it will also "float" over the place you've been scraping due no weight being on the deck and all weight being on the rear of the mower. Get out there and play around with it and see which way works best for your mower.

zak406
10-28-2011, 01:59 PM
WHen I worked for a company with walkers we had a 48 and a 74, both got backed on. Even then the deck would stilll drag a bit in the middle of it but it works better backing it on!

gene gls
10-28-2011, 07:49 PM
Small single axel trailers sit higher and most come with a short tail gate. I raised up my trailer hitch ball to lower the back end and have no problem driving my Walker up the gate. Looks a bit odd behind the pickup but I don't care.

Golfpro21
10-28-2011, 07:59 PM
what height do you keep the deck at?

Jason Rose
10-28-2011, 08:05 PM
If it's just the deck dragging I wouldn't worry about that at all. Every machine I have drags the deck, even the 61" grasshopper when its on the transport height sometimes. The walkers do for sure. What kind of damage is it doing to the trailer end? Scratching off the paint? My trailer hasn't had paint on the rear for a long time, lol. I thought you were talking about the under side of the tractor itself getting caught, sort of high centered... Mine will do that too if I'm parked in a bad spot or back when I was using a 3/4 ton truck and the load of grass would make the rear of the truck sink 6".
Posted via Mobile Device

gene gls
10-28-2011, 09:38 PM
what height do you keep the deck at?

2-2.5" for fall, depending on turf .

fireman gus
10-28-2011, 10:18 PM
We always back our Walker on the trailer. Just the way I was taught.

Mikegyver
10-28-2011, 11:03 PM
Thanks all. Sometimes whats helped is leaning forward when I get to a certain point i.e. pushing down w/ my feet on the deck. Seems to help "tip" it on especially w/ a full bagger.

BPS##
10-28-2011, 11:29 PM
I always back my walker on. Never an issue.... ever.

We always back our Walker on the trailer. Just the way I was taught.

The reason for this is the small, mostly ineffective, flap they have on the box lid..... you know the one with the springs? Backing on is to prevent wind damage to the springs.

Driven on the wind catches that flap at a very low mph and holds the flap open against the springs, wearing the springs out and causing them to be replaced much sooner than is necessary.

shepoutside
10-29-2011, 10:42 AM
[QUOTE=BPS##;4200214]I always back my walker on. Never an issue.... ever.

I'm the same here!

yardguy28
10-29-2011, 11:03 AM
i personally don't own this style of mower but everyone i see that does have one backs them on. even the guys with enclosed trailers.

to the guy who isn't concerned much about the deck scrapping the bottom. some people are concerned about that sort of thing.

some people are really into taking care of there machines and want to avoid any and all paint chips, scratches, etc.

ever see the guys who have a machine with 400+ hours on it and it looks like it hardly get used? well i have.

sometimes i wish i was more like that, but i just don't have the desire.

MOW ED
10-29-2011, 11:09 AM
As stated you probably need a longer ramp. My Walker backs up or drives on without an issue. The ramp height is 5 ft 3 inches.