PDA

View Full Version : Pondless waterfall winterization help needed!

TGS. Inc.
10-28-2011, 10:30 AM
I built this pondless waterfall last year. Wanted to get your thoughts on how best to winterize it. There are many factors to be considered. We get leaves in the fall, snow and freezing temperatures. In addition there are plants in the center as well as on the side plus some landscape lighting...

Last winter I just drained the water out and pulled the pump. Had alot of nasty leaves to deal with in Spring + a couple minor leaks around the top.

I thought of covering the entire thing but am worried about the plants and lighting. Also don't like the appearance of the tarp.

Thoughts?? What do you guys do??

Thanks!!

Leo the Landscaper
10-28-2011, 07:32 PM
Nice work. Unfortunately items like this require a higher degree of maintenance, although many here would agree that that can be a fortunate thing too. I would not think of covering that beautiful feature with a tarp. Do the same thing you did last year.

Smallaxe
10-28-2011, 11:58 PM
All water must be gone from places that can expand and cause damage for the winter... Detroit is no more forgiving than this neighborhood... a tarp won't do anything, no matter how much mulch you put under it... :)

TGS. Inc.
10-31-2011, 09:12 AM
Thanks guys for the response. I think I am just going to leave it and deal with some leaves, etc. in the Spring!! Thanks again!

-Wayne

pitrack
10-31-2011, 12:58 PM
Drain as much water out as you can, then put a net over the whole thing. You can barely even see it but it still keeps much of the larger leaves and such out.

Also just curious how you supported the stone you have for the walkway in this project. I just completed a similar task in a waterfall I did and was curious how you went about doing it.

dboyd351
11-03-2011, 08:22 PM
Nice work. I would not think of covering that beautiful feature with a tarp. Do the same thing you did last year.

I agree. You did a very nice job. Congratulations on the pretty work!