PDA

View Full Version : Cat and Deere's new C-Series Excavators...Let's hear it

Scag48
11-13-2002, 12:06 AM
Hey guys. Got bored so I went and checked out JD's website. Their new C Series looks pretty nice and I can't wait 'til I get the chance to run one. I liked the last series, I ran a 200LC which was a nice machine, but I've never run a Cat. How do these two machines compare? I know there isn't alot of difference, but does anyone know of where there are any? I'd like to use this info when I'm BSing with the local contractors. LOL. Thanks guys!

Justin
02-08-2004, 02:14 AM
I have operated a 200clc and they are a pretty smooth machine. I haven't got a chance to run a new cat but the old cat b model didn't impress me.l

UNISCAPER
02-09-2004, 01:25 AM
My uncle's company did the preliminary grading for the 1933 worlds fair in Chicago in a Cat, and all we own are Cat products, so, I guess I am a bit prejudice. Cat has numerous advantages to any other brand....First, they allow the engineers to design thier products, then the bean counters come in and determine what they should be sold for.

With Deere, Komatsu, or any other, the bean counters tell the engineers what budget they have to build a certain machine, and the engineers oblige them...You truely get what you pay for in this scenario, as the equipment will not out perform a Cat, will not out last a Cat, and will not hold it's resale value like a Cat. Plus, if in the event you have an issue with a Cat, parts are never more than a day away, unlike JD or Komatsu, where I have seen people wait 6 weeks for parts while they make payments on thier machine....
If yuo want power, go Cat...
As far as controls, hands down, Cat is easier to operate...They say nothing runs like a Deere, but if you want nine lives, you will need a Cat.

Just my opinon!!!

Avery
02-09-2004, 12:10 PM
First, they allow the engineers to design thier products, then the bean counters come in and determine what they should be sold for. Very true statement. My uncle (retired now) was an engineer for Cat. Best heavy equipment out there IMO.

Gravel Rat
02-09-2004, 03:21 PM
The new Deere Machines are esentially Hitachi machines painted yellow now that Deere is in partners with Hitachi construction equipment.

For forestry use the Hitachi is hard to beat a EX-300 EX-400s are used they get well used and abused digging in blast rock all day long. They have tried the new Deere machines they are good except for the Deere engines are noisier.

The excavators any size in this area are built heavy with hiwalk under carriage with heavier subframes etc. The belly pans are thicker the machine has forestry guarding on the sides and over the cab. A hydraulic thumb is a must if the machine doesn't have one it is pretty much useless for doing anything but digging in sand.

Cat excavators are not used here much a Hitachi,Deere or Kobelco are a better choice the Cat is more expensive to repair and doesn't last any longer digging in this area. When it comes to Dozers and Wheel loaders you can't beat Cat.

I wouldn't be worried about the LC200 John Deere it will do the job a Cat machine will do and you don't have to spend a fortune.

To give you a idea what digging is like in this area a EX-400 has no problem ripping the quick connects off the bucket or twising a cheek out of a bucket. When rebuilding buckets 5/8s and 1" steel is used in the high stress areas getting 6months to a year out of a bucket is pretty good.

Justin
02-09-2004, 08:02 PM
The deere/hitachi excavators are more then just hitachi. They are a combined effort between the both of them. With Deere own 51% of hitachi, they have to have some say in it. And deere powertech engines have some of the lowest d(b)a's in the industry and are easy on fuel. As far as parts go if any company can't get you with parts within 3-5 bussiness days they won't last long as a company.Deere HAS to have them there within so many Hours not weeks. And Uniscaper Nice birthday but I am 26 years later.Also you can beat a cat.... I do like cat backhoes but the rest you can keep. When it comes to buget I really think with Komatsu and Deere that they don't have any problem with forkin' over the green to build a machine. I haven't seen the lastest figures but Cat is loosing ground to its competitors. Just my .02 Justin

UNISCAPER
02-10-2004, 06:27 PM
We only had one Komatsu ever...It broke, took 6 weeks to get parts, and with what was saved, we lost over $35,000 in production, not to mention the cost of a rental while it was down..
Thus, the Komatsu cost more over the long haul. We have had 40 year old Cats that will outproduce Komatsu or Deere combined. So, you can run whatever you want...I'm sticking to what has always been the best for us.

coopers
02-12-2004, 06:51 PM
Are John Deere 120's good machines? They look like they are.

Blake
WA

Tigerotor77W
03-27-2004, 09:19 PM
Got a site for all y'all:

http://www.syrsup.com/whatsnew/images/Tejb7012.pdf

It's a comparison between the Cat and Deere 20-tonne excavators.

Gravel Rat
03-29-2004, 03:08 AM
Sorry that comparision is a bit too much Cat bias you can tell they are sugar coating things a bit much I would take the Deere over the Cat.

Cat was bragging it up how their cab has better visability big whoop the machines used in this area get forestry guarding added to them ever window has bars over it. The forestry guarding adds a extra 1000lbs to the machine you can't safely do land clearing here with a machine without guarding. Those stock excavator cabs crush like a tin can when you drop a tree on them or a tree punches through the window killing the operator.

When it comes to repairing the Cat its cha ching because the parts used have to be genuine Cat so its cha ching. Cat doesn't have field mechanics anymore so you want your machine repaired lowbed it to the dealer more cha ching. John Deere/Hitachi has good service you need a field mechanic they can get to you the next day.

Sorry but Cat excavators are too expensive when John Deere or Hitachi do the same job for less money and give good service life.

A excavator used in this area see some pretty severe use you definatly don't want to buy a used excavator that come from B.C. its probably well worn out.

Tigerotor77W
03-30-2004, 09:16 PM
No doubt that Deere/Hitachi makes a damned good product. That link was just as a note. Trust me -- Deere does produce the same stuff; they just don't post it on the internet. I wasn't suggesting that the site would be the authoritative solver of all problems. :-)

As far as equipment goes, I'm pretty impressed with what Cat's done with its C-series lineup. Deere? They're not bad, not bad; but they've got a big ass engine cover back rear. Not exactly pretty.

Their partners with more than just Hitachi... Liebherr compact loaders, Liebherr crawler tractors, Bell ADTs... the list might even go on. But no doubt at all. They're all good products. I'm just a Cat person.

Gravel Rat
03-31-2004, 01:04 AM
Like I meantioned before with the guarding used on the machines here all that visibility gets covered up with bars over the window. What you guys use for city construction excavation doesn't cut the mustard safety wise doing landclearing.

Even the guarding can't protect the operator we had a accident here were a thin broken off ****** pole (small tree) poked through the area where the travel pedals are. It managed to get between the bars of the guarding poped out the window and pined the operators leg gashing it open. The only way the operator could get out was call for help and take a chainsaw to cut the wood out of the cab. The operator was rushed off to hospital to get his leg operated on and stitched back up. The accident happened so fast it was unpreventable supposidly the operator was in severe pain.

This what our machines look like
Hitachi (www.vantageequipmentcoltd.com/1994HITACHIEX270LCHYDRAULICEXCAVATOR020120a.jpg)

Scag48
04-01-2004, 02:22 AM
Gravel rat, most of us run excavators that don't need extra guarding, so the visibility is quite welcomed. I don't think any operator would say they wouldn't like more visibility (given that it's safe to do so), everyone likes to see what they're doing. Cat still has field mechanics, had ours drive 55 miles to replace a fitting on our skid steer. You pay more for Cat but our dealer is way better than the local JD dealer. I've seen some of the places that "BC excavators" are going. I took a trip to Whistler last year and drove by all the construction that they were doing on the side of the road, that is absolutely amazing where they are taking those machines. I understand why you need the extra guarding.

Gravel Rat
04-01-2004, 02:34 AM
The guarding also helps with the rollovers when your working on steep slopes it is a risk that can happen. The worst thing to work on is rock a excavator on rock is like stepping on a banana peel you keep on sliding :D

When we do land clearing your dealing with snags up in the trees so when the machine bumps a tree the snag falls down and hits the cab guard. The machines run side guarding around and over the engine cover and sides of the machines it cuts down on the dents.

coopers
04-01-2004, 01:11 PM
Graval Rat, sounds like we should put guarding on our machines too. I work for a rental company and we have JD120's and a new 120C QC and man those things get beat up. Already had to take the new one in and have it fixed by Pape cuz our mechanic didn't want to mess with it, it was so messed up. We've found Whiskey bottles in our trackhoes, blah blah blah. Those machines get so beat up. Guards might help keep the machine working a little longer! :-)

Blake
WA

Gravel Rat
04-01-2004, 07:06 PM
The guarding does add extra weight to the machine so if you weight concious its something to think about. A cab guard sure prevents damage it also provides alot more protection.

The side guarding keeps the side doors on the machine from getting banged up.

These guys will have what your looking for Jewell Manufacturing (http://www.jewellmfg.com/excavator_guarding_package.htm)

badranman
04-02-2004, 12:13 AM
I can't believe the length of those booms. They must use some serious counterweights.

Gravel Rat
04-02-2004, 02:23 AM
The length of booms on what ?

If you are talking about log loaders yes they do run a slightly heavier counterweight but otherwise they are not much different from a excavator. In the forest industry they use what we call a Road Builder excavator which is a modified machine for heavy duty use. You can build a EX-60 Hitachi into a Road Builder if you wanted too :D

A Road builder will sometimes use a different undercarriage which is a Hiwalker which gives you more clearance under the machine its good for high center situations.

The bucket manufacturers here build buckets for the tough conditions machines in B.C. have to dig through where high abrasion is a concern. Digging in blast rock has to be the hardest thing on a bucket one of the forestry machines see daily.

The local excavation contractors do dig in rock and dirt its still tough digging thou some of the rocks you do encounter can be the size of a VW bug.

badranman
04-02-2004, 06:19 PM
I was refering to the booms on the link you posted. They're on normal excavators doing digging and demolition work. Just thought they were kinda cool. :rolleyes: