PDA

View Full Version : Roll-Off Landscaper Bed

Darryl G
10-28-2011, 08:15 PM
Here's some pics of a roll-off landscaper bed. The ramp looks steep but I've seen the guy take the Scag Z up and down no problem. It's about 5 feet off the ground though up to the deck. Sometimes they use a roll-off dumpster and drop it right down, drive the mower in and dump right in it...pretty cool.

flatlander42
10-29-2011, 11:11 AM
Now we're talkin!!!

Darryl G
10-29-2011, 11:17 AM
The interesting thing is this is for a one man crew, but it's not a one man company. They do really nice work and have some really nice accounts. I do the red house 2 houses over from theirs.

NIXRAY
10-29-2011, 12:53 PM
Thats awesome, BUT a whole lota truck for the load

PLS-Tx
10-29-2011, 04:17 PM
That's a bit much. ;)

Darryl G
10-29-2011, 04:23 PM
It's a multi-purpose truck for them. They do a lot of tree work and landscaping too. I know I have seen it with dumpsters on it and maybe even a leaf box. They do a lot of service down in the beach area where the roads and parking/turnarounds can be challenging at best. Even though it's not a small rig, it probably still beats having a trailer in tow.

hackitdown
10-29-2011, 09:48 PM
Any idea what a truck like that would cost new? How would the cost compare to a 3/4 ton and a trailer?

P.Services
10-29-2011, 10:10 PM
truck like that new would be a 100 grand. if you dont have enough other big work to keep that truck busy that you have to us it as a lawn truck......you better look at shet closer. your head is on all wrong.

32vld
10-29-2011, 11:03 PM
Waste of an asset. If this company needs a truck that large and owning one will increase profits considering it's initial cost then they are justified to buy one.

Thing is I can't see them making enough money running a lawn mowing route with that size truck.

What's that truck going to get, 5 mpg?

It's one thing when a pickup was in the shop and they wanted to use it as a back up for a few days on one of their lawn routes.

I would think that it would be best to keep that truck parked until it's needed for the reasons it was bought for. That way the truck will last longer and save operating expenses.

Darryl G
10-29-2011, 11:50 PM
They aren't doing $40 lawns with this rig...big high end high dollar lawns. They maintain some really nice places, the best of the best, and have a very loyal following. I wouldn't be surprised if they're grossing $1k plus/day with a one man crew on that rig...really.

I don't think that rig is $100k but I'm sure it's not cheap.

PLS-Tx
10-30-2011, 01:32 AM
They aren't doing $40 lawns with this rig...big high end high dollar lawns. They maintain some really nice places, the best of the best, and have a very loyal following. I wouldn't be surprised if they're grossing $1k plus/day with a one man crew on that rig...really.

I don't think that rig is $100k but I'm sure it's not cheap.

If it works for them that's great, just looks a lot different than what I'm used to seeing.

M RASCOE&SONS
12-11-2011, 05:44 PM
truck like that new would be a 100 grand. if you dont have enough other big work to keep that truck busy that you have to us it as a lawn truck......you better look at shet closer. your head is on all wrong.

that is groundworks and he has forgotten more than you will ever know,when you were shetin in your diaper he was mowing 75 lawns a wk by himself.the guys in this area would love to have his knowledge and his business:drinkup:

P.Services
12-11-2011, 05:50 PM
i dont doubt they do but there is no need to be running a truck like that for a one man lawn rig. If the truck is just sitting around maybe....but its still costing you more money then running a "normal" lawn rig.

M RASCOE&SONS
12-11-2011, 06:08 PM
he is a stubborn old fella,you wave to him and you get nothing back.

P.Services
12-11-2011, 06:11 PM

well stubborn doesn't equal smarter..........

i think a lot of the other posters agree with me and they all had valid points on it being a extremely un-efficient rig.

RGM
12-11-2011, 06:15 PM
1k a day with a one man crew I would like to see that

Darryl G
12-11-2011, 06:27 PM

Funny, he's friendly to me :p

Darryl G
12-11-2011, 06:29 PM
well stubborn doesn't equal smarter..........

i think a lot of the other posters agree with me and they all had valid points on it being a extremely un-efficient rig.

It's pretty efficient with the dumpster bed when he drives his mower right in and dumps from the seat!

Tyler's Lawn Maintenance
12-11-2011, 08:46 PM
Hey if he uses it for other purposes and it sits for the majority of the mowing season, he should put it to work! Another recent thread has a picture of a Ford LCF with a roll off landscape body as well. Here is the link to it.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=242866

NEUSWEDE
12-12-2011, 06:27 PM
This thread goes to show how many shallow minded followers that don't think outside the box. Keep doing what the normal is and what everyone else is doing and your probably not going to get very far.

I think it is a great idea, for what that body cost most of you would spend on a trailer.

Brodie
12-14-2011, 07:01 AM
This thread goes to show how many shallow minded followers that don't think outside the box. Keep doing what the normal is and what everyone else is doing and your probably not going to get very far.

I think it is a great idea, for what that body cost most of you would spend on a trailer.

I have to say I agree its a good idea. Who is to say that that truck didn't drop off 3 or 4 other bodies just like that around town. I believe that its already been said that the owner does high end work so I'm thinking its not a one man crew maybe 3-4.

It seems to me that this is actually a very good business decision, essentially making one truck into multiple.

I was driving around today with a truck and trailer, i needed to stop at the bank biggest date of time for the day was trying to find a spot either big enough or a double care space. Had I only had a truck id have been in and out in 10 mins instead of 40mins.

bobcat_ron
12-14-2011, 06:03 PM
Excellent set up, funny how the haters and nay sayers are the most envious, and FYI the fuel economy on those little Sterlings are just as good if not better than the newest diesel trucks that you landscapers seem to brag about. Plus that truck will out last any other smaller truck by 10 years.
Posted via Mobile Device

Albemarle Lawn
12-18-2011, 02:03 PM
We have 120 dumpsters, but 0 landscape beds, and none planned.

Bottom line, our roll-off trucks make more money moving a container than mowing grass. Its too expensive to park at the curb for an hour while a lawn gets mowed.

We do have landscape trucks (non-rolloff) on Mitsubishi-Fuso chassis that work great for that purpose.

P.Services
12-18-2011, 03:20 PM
We have 120 dumpsters, but 0 landscape beds, and none planned.

Bottom line, our roll-off trucks make more money moving a container than mowing grass. Its too expensive to park at the curb for an hour while a lawn gets mowed.

We do have landscape trucks (non-rolloff) on Mitsubishi-Fuso chassis that work great for that purpose.

and thats what ive been saying, now you get to hear it from the horses mouth!

5speedpsd
12-19-2011, 10:57 PM
hes probably figured out that when he uses that truck for landscaping it is most efficient. And that its cheaper to just drive that truck for mowing. Then buy another dedicated truck and trailer, and insure another truck and maintain another truck. Might be cheaper to mow with a smaller truck but maybe he cant afford to have another truck and his roll off. Or even if he can he probably found it cheaper to just cough up the extra fuel money then to operate and maintain another truck.

Darryl G
12-19-2011, 11:25 PM
I don't know all of his thinking on that truck but the guy is no dummie...he's been at this for a long time. Other than the roll-off dumpster I'm not sure what other beds he has either. I do know that his route is all pretty local and that he does tree work as well...he's a licensed arborist.

Here's his list of services:
Services
Brick Walkways|Chipping|Construction|Design & Engineering|Fertilization & Feeding|Installations|Land Clearing|Maintenance|Masonry Work|Mowing|Mulching|Overseeding|Planting|Porches|Property Maintenance|Pruning & Trimming|Sodding|Thatching & Dethatching|Transplanting|Tree Care|Walkways
Products
Bluestone|Brick|Bricks|Large Trees|Mulch|Plants|Sod|Trees
Specialties:
Decks|Patios|Walls

For an all around truck for that list of services, I think it's a pretty good match personally.

NEUSWEDE
12-19-2011, 11:56 PM
and thats what ive been saying, now you get to hear it from the horses mouth!

120 dumpsters is a dumpster rental company we are talking about for a landscape company and just for landscape tasks no running dumpsters all day. ETW is the horses mouth too as well as tthomas and its working for them.

P.Services
12-20-2011, 01:01 PM
120 dumpsters is a dumpster rental company we are talking about for a landscape company and just for landscape tasks no running dumpsters all day. ETW is the horses mouth too as well as tthomas and its working for them.

your arguing my case for me............. go look at RWF, do you see him running a SNG for a lawn crew?? NOOO. because Todd is smart enough to know that hes not using the truck to its fullest potential hauling mowers around. If you arnt getting 100% out of that truck then you need to address that problem first. He purchased vans to run his crews because they are far more efficient and economical to operate AND because he has enough "big" work to keep his SNG running.

ETW, i cant say for sure if he uses his trucks on his landscape maintenance side but im willing to bet he will say NO. Again those trucks were not bought to haul one guy around pulling weeds and spraying weeds. Im sure he has a more efficent rig for that type of work. Im sure he would say that he cant afford to have those trucks out doing those kinds of tasks, thats not what they are bought for and thats not what they are used for. Now im sure if he was on a huge maintenace job he could drop a job box and a bin to throw a ton of weeds or dead plants in but im sure he could afford to have a one man crew tying up a 75k dollar rig all day for that.

NEUSWEDE
12-20-2011, 04:55 PM
your arguing my case for me............. go look at RWF, do you see him running a SNG for a lawn crew?? NOOO. because Todd is smart enough to know that hes not using the truck to its fullest potential hauling mowers around. If you arnt getting 100% out of that truck then you need to address that problem first. He purchased vans to run his crews because they are far more efficient and economical to operate AND because he has enough "big" work to keep his SNG running.

ETW, i cant say for sure if he uses his trucks on his landscape maintenance side but im willing to bet he will say NO. Again those trucks were not bought to haul one guy around pulling weeds and spraying weeds. Im sure he has a more efficent rig for that type of work. Im sure he would say that he cant afford to have those trucks out doing those kinds of tasks, thats not what they are bought for and thats not what they are used for. Now im sure if he was on a huge maintenace job he could drop a job box and a bin to throw a ton of weeds or dead plants in but im sure he could afford to have a one man crew tying up a 75k dollar rig all day for that.

So if tthomas has "big" work and the sng drive to the site and drops a body and does nothing else all day your saying that is more productive than a guy that uses it for his mowing. The hoist and bodies cost as much as a dump body or a van body with gate so its not costing more and he could probably buy that Cab and chasis used for cheap. I put my f650 with 14' sng togther cheaper than I could buy a new f550 with 9' dump, that inculdes having 4 bodies and truck only have 36k on it. Truck is more efficient than an f550 with 9' dump. You can't really knock it till you try it. Your stuck in a box of thinking which is good for me because I have the upper hand on my competition!

P.Services
12-20-2011, 11:30 PM
im actually planning to get one set up myself this winter.

But i know it wont have mowers on its back.....EVER.

If he drops a box and does nothing all day again thats not using a truck to its fullest potential. I know that may happen some days but as you know the point of the trucks is to have a swiss army kinfe. Drop a box, go pick up a loaded one, dump it at the shop, grab a flat deck and get 4 skids of pavers, drop it at the job, take the bobcat home in the empty bin. The point is to me to have enough work to keep that truck running around doing drops for multiple guys, not just dropping a box and sitting in one spot.

NEUSWEDE
12-20-2011, 11:43 PM
I'm actually planning to get one set up myself this winter.

But i know it wont have mowers on its back.....EVER.

If he drops a box and does nothing all day again thats not using a truck to its fullest potential. I know that may happen some days but as you know the point of the trucks is to have a swiss army knife. Drop a box, go pick up a loaded one, dump it at the shop, grab a flat deck and get 4 skids of paver's, drop it at the job, take the bobcat home in the empty bin. The point is to me to have enough work to keep that truck running around doing drops for multiple guys, not just dropping a box and sitting in one spot.

I agree with the below part. I wasn't basing my response on the mower part. I think the mower part was over on me and I saw it more as the diversity of the fact of the truck that it can switch between multiple things even if it isn't every day. As far as even if this was what he ran in the summer and then in the fall could drop it and went to a drop box to do leaves in the grand scheme of things it is saving the user from switching to a different truck. I think the second part of of what you wrote was the ultimate efficiency of the unit.

All I meant was it is a great unit no matter what you do with it can be very versatile. that is all.

Side note you going with a switch n go or hook lift?

P.Services
12-21-2011, 01:27 AM
i leaning towards a SNG now because they are cheaper to get into and then in 3 years i would buy a t-370 kenworth with a 36'' hook on it.

For now i want to set up a 650 or 750 cab and chassis used for 7-10 grand and then put a SNG on it. I knew a guy that had two SNG hoist for 3,500 each. Light use. I should have jumped on that.

i guess im just keeping a eye out for a nice used truck before i go buying anything new. If a well priced hook comes along i will snag that up, if not i will put a new SNG on a used truck.

been wanting one for almost 5 years now, time to get going.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
12-21-2011, 01:56 AM
We have the switch and go on one of our mitsus. We really like the diversified bodies we have for it.
Posted via Mobile Device

BrandonV
12-21-2011, 09:10 AM
the only reason we have our lcf w/ the system is that my maint crew doesn't mow 5 days a week, usually 3 the rest of the time they're doing pruning, small installs, also we have a leaf box which really helps out this time of year. That said we hope to eventually have a dedicated mowing crew and I'll steal the switch-n-go for the construction :-) it is really great for construction projects, I wish I had ordered our 750 with one as well

iowa
12-22-2011, 01:16 PM
I think what the guy is doing is a great idea. If he only does maintenance 2-3 days out of the week and install the rest of the week, it would make even more sense yet. Having multiple bodies on one truck saves you the cost of having two separate rigs, insurance, tags, maintenance etc. If it's sitting for an hour at a time at a lawn, but the machine is figured into his prices based on SITTING hours, what's the difference? If he's charging by sitting hours, he will actually make more with that truck than if it was running around all day long using fuel, labor, etc. Some people still don't see the true advantage to these systems.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
12-22-2011, 04:30 PM
hey iowa, you have any snow on the ground there?

iowa
12-22-2011, 04:48 PM
We do not. But that is perfectly fine with me.