PDA

View Full Version : a "horn" for ride-on units ???

americanlawn
10-28-2011, 08:48 PM
I know this sounds stupid, yet the cost involved ain't much.

We have a few commercial accounts where it works best to "tag team" them by using two people:

Person 1) Ride-on unit (spread & spray) -- treats the bulk of the properties (maybe as much as 98% of total square footage).

Person 2) Uses a "push spreader/backpack sprayer" to treat steep areas & small islands.

a) Flags the properties.
b) Fills out invoices.
c) Blows granules off hard surfaces
d) "Brings needed product to the ride-on applicator when he's running low on granular fert or liquid herbicide".

Problem with two-way radios:

1) The ride-on applicator needs to stop what he's doing (production).
2) Then has to get his radio out of his pocket.
3) Person #2 also has to stop what he's doing.
4) Then person #2 also has to pull "his' radio out.
5) When person #2 needs to contact the ride-on applicator via two-way radio...most likely the ride-on guy will not hear it anyway cuz he's operating the machine.

So why not just install a cheap push button horn for ride-on sprayer/spreader units? No need for stopping, cuz you could use it on the fly to notify your "assistant".

I think you get my drift. American astronauts spent millions developing an ink pen that would write in space. The Soviets solved it by merely using a pencil.

BTW I already passed this idea along to XXXX, but I'm not sure they were interested in this simple/cheap idea.

Any thoughts? Thinking out of the box? thanx :usflag:

phasthound
10-28-2011, 09:01 PM
American astronauts spent millions developing an ink pen that would write in space. The Soviets solved it by merely using a pencil.

Larry, I saw that episode of West Wing too! I've always wondered if it was true. Anyway, adding a horn is a good idea. :)

CHARLES CUE
10-28-2011, 09:41 PM
You think if you could play frisbee You could operate a radio

They have mics that clip on your pocket or collar you can call with one hand

But you would have to drop the frisbee

A horn would work but i spent my electric on a foam marker

I work solo so no one would here it but me

Charles Cue

VLTS
10-28-2011, 10:17 PM
Good idea, I got hit on my ride one, Some dude was texting/ playing with his cell phone, Not paying attention while pulling into a parking spot that i was in. I saw him coming, but he gave me a pretty good bump.. Enough to toss me off the machine. F***er!

DLCS
10-28-2011, 10:22 PM
I'd settle for a hose real on the T.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
10-29-2011, 01:36 AM
What tune would the horn play Larry?

'Iowa Fight Song'? :)

grassman177
10-29-2011, 08:45 PM
excellent idea larry, missed you at the gie of course(cuz you werent there), but did see the T and the new improvements.

ted putnam
10-29-2011, 09:47 PM
You think if you could play frisbee You could operate a radio

They have mics that clip on your pocket or collar you can call with one hand

But you would have to drop the frisbee

A horn would work but i spent my electric on a foam marker

I work solo so no one would here it but me

Charles Cue

..........:laugh:........hilarryous

P.Services
10-29-2011, 10:21 PM
or train your worker right and he will be one step ahead of you at all times. Bags waiting, steep hills walked and flag flying in the breeze.

P.Services
10-29-2011, 10:34 PM
or develop some sign language. I have signs that would make Mrs.Keller crap her pants. I can say.... "get me another bag before i run out or your lazy a$$ is fired and you will walk home without my company shirt on" in less then a second with sign language. No seriously, thats a actual conversation that was had.

ted putnam
10-29-2011, 10:51 PM
or develop some sign language. I have signs that would make Mrs.Keller crap her pants. I can say.... "get me another bag before i run out or your lazy a$$ is fired and you will walk home without my company shirt on" in less then a second with sign language. No seriously, thats a actual conversation that was had.

:laugh:ROFLMAO:laugh:

GreenI.A.
10-29-2011, 10:56 PM
You should only have a communication issue the first time on property. My liceansed applicator goes out with an assistant and after the first round the asst knows where to drop extra bags for refils, where he must spread and back pack. The only thing that should throw him off is if the bag has a different coverage than he's used to.

I gues you could always use a headset on the radios

Leaf Jockey
10-30-2011, 02:50 PM
In the past I've used a combination of a horn and hand signals when doing fall cleanups. It works good enough in that noisey environment. I don't see why it wouldn't work here.

Scott

americanlawn
10-30-2011, 04:03 PM
Thanks ALL. I figure for ten bucks, ride-on manufactures could add a push button horn.

Back in the early 80's while "double trucking" off a ChemLawn 2-hose reel tanker truck, we used "hand signals" so the guy in front could start reeling in the excess hose for the guy in the backyard.

What tune for a horn? I was thinking the "Dukes of Hazard" theme song cuz 'Stairway to Heaven' is too complicated. :laugh:

grassman -- glad to see what I was talking about. Cool stuff huh? Time now for TURFCO to offer frisbees? (great promotional idea)

Retractable hose reel: we've tried a couple, but we do not have the expertise to make it work 100% of the time. The retractable hose reels we tried were bulky, and they needed to be in the upright position at all times in order to work. Hoping LT Rich, TURFCO, PG, etc can come up with something to make things quick & easy. We'll see.

Service 1st Lawn Care
10-30-2011, 05:22 PM
Nothing wrong with the Lt Rich hose reel works great, can't figure why turfco doesn't go to this hose reel.:rolleyes: