PDA

View Full Version : What is the Best Leaf Removal for curbs

nevilledevil78
10-28-2011, 09:19 PM
Hello I am new to this site hoping to get the help that is needed. I have a property with about 31 buildings with 600 Apartments. Leafs are my problem, we have trees here that are 30+ years mature and in the fall the leaf cleanup is HORRID..http://www.lawnsite.com/images/smilies/action-smiley-060.gif... I have been using 2 BillyGoats this year but so far I am spending more time dumping the bag of leafs than actually cleaning up. We are looking for a better method or machine to complete this job any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.http://www.lawnsite.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

MOW ED
10-29-2011, 11:19 AM
Welcome to Lawnsite. There is a ton of reading about how to deal with leaves. The Search feature will give you hours of tips.
I can tell you that you will get many "opinions" here but you have to decide what works for you.
I personally have a mulching setup that uses atomics on a Zero turn to reduce volume on a weekly basis without any bagging. At a certain point the reduced leaves can be bagged with the Walker. The reduction is amazing and vary effiicient for my operation. I don't get 100% leaf drop on most properties as the trees are different and their drop times vary from early October thru mid November. Even the thickest drop gets mulched to reduce volume. I used to dread leaf season as I tried to bag every week with the Walker. Now the Walker is for heavy reduced accumulations and final dust up. I don't mind leaves at all now. Others here have very good solutions for their own circumstances, my point is to give some new ideas a try and see what works for you.
Good to have another member here.

nevilledevil78
10-30-2011, 03:54 PM
The main issue is CURBS I need a machine that will work better for me on curbs than the billygoat? Any suggestions?

weeze
10-31-2011, 11:39 PM
do you mean on the grass near the curbs or on the street/pavement against the curbs?...if on the pavement blow them into the grass first with a blower...i don't bother bagging leaves...i just side discharge them into the middle of the yard and then keep going over them until they go away...they don't go away 100% or anything but by the time you finish more leaves have fallen...the key is just keep on top of it mowing every week or two until all of the leaves have fallen.....it's easy to do it that way to me but you may not have enough space at an apartment complex so bagging or mulching may be your only options.

Kelly's Landscaping
11-01-2011, 12:24 AM
What are you saying that the leaves build up on the street along the curbs and so you got a mile or 2 of wet leaves to clean up each service? If that's what your talking about id lean toward a leaf box truck and tow behind a giant vac leaf loader designed to suck from the side perhaps even one of the big town models.

Buddy Buds
11-01-2011, 07:54 AM
My Scag Wildcat and Accelerator catcher work pretty doggone good.

JDiepstra
11-01-2011, 07:58 AM
Blow onto the lawn then mulch into dust.

nevilledevil78
11-01-2011, 09:01 PM
We have scags here is there an attachment that you would recommend?

nevilledevil78
11-01-2011, 09:03 PM
Yes on the Road along the curbs I get what you are saying i tried that today just not a lot of room to mulch due to the small yards in the apartment complex... Great Idea though It does work very well... THANKS

FoghornLeghorn
11-01-2011, 11:03 PM
use a backpack blower to knock the leaves from the curb towards and into the grass, then mulch them. Otherwise your labor and corresponding profit will go out the window.

The only time I ever bag leaves is on one project with a ditch. Then entire area leading into the ditch is xeriscaped in rock, so I can't mow/mulch them. After 4-8 weeks, if there hasn't been any rain to wash the leaves down, I'll have the guys bag the leaves.

Otherwise, we don't bag leaves. Period.

205mx
11-02-2011, 11:22 AM
The main issue is CURBS I need a machine that will work better for me on curbs than the billygoat? Any suggestions?

Stihl makes a leave vac that i bought specifically for curbs. Wam bam thank you mam. I love it.

nevilledevil78
11-02-2011, 05:59 PM
What is the model number or name of it?

205mx
11-02-2011, 07:02 PM
Just go to the stihl dealer. You'll find it. I think it's the BR or BG. Can't remember lol. It's just a vac/shredder/bagger
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
11-02-2011, 07:52 PM
my method for leaf removal is the same residential or commercial.

blow all the leaves into the turfed areas. throw a catcher on the mower and start mowing. don't empty the catcher until i've made one pass over everything. empty the catcher make the second pass to clean up (sometimes a third is needed if they are thick) and i'm done.

oh and i do this on a weekly basis.

all i use is a backpack blower and my 52" grandstand with a grass catcher.

Darryl G
11-02-2011, 08:18 PM
Just go to the stihl dealer. You'll find it. I think it's the BR or BG. Can't remember lol. It's just a vac/shredder/bagger
Posted via Mobile Device

He has walk behind vacs that aren't working...you think a handheld one is gonna be better? :hammerhead:

205mx
11-02-2011, 10:15 PM
For curbs? Absolutely. I had the same issues. W/b's were too big. If it works for me why shouldn't it work for anyone.
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
11-03-2011, 07:49 AM
For curbs? Absolutely. I had the same issues. W/b's were too big. If it works for me why shouldn't it work for anyone.
Posted via Mobile Device

31 apartment complex and you're gonna use a handheld shredder vac to clean up along the curb? OK...have fun with that. :rolleyes:

All_Toro_4ME
11-03-2011, 09:21 AM
Why not just put a backpack blower on your back and get on your walkbehind or stander and drive along the curb? It would save you a ton of time from all that walking. Then just go over the pile mulch/bag as others have stated.

JDiepstra
11-03-2011, 10:28 AM
31 apartment complex and you're gonna use a handheld shredder vac to clean up along the curb? OK...have fun with that. :rolleyes:

What, you dont think emptying that tiny bag 200 sounds fun or efficient? :laugh:

Darryl G
11-03-2011, 11:04 AM
What, you dont think emptying that tiny bag 200 sounds fun or efficient? :laugh:

If they wanna pay me hourly for it I could handle it, lol.

I used to have an account that had a lot of leaves at the curb and blowing them onto a turf area was not an option. Actually there was no actual curb, more like a gutter really and they would stay wet. What I used to do was drop my mower deck down low and use it as a plow. The problem was that it compacted them, so I then started just picking them up with a plastic grain shovel and putting them in a 90 gallon barrel.

One way to do it is with a leaf loader...one guy in the truck driving slowly and another guy on the nozzle. That's how they do it where I am.