PDA

View Full Version : Ferris evolution?

2stroked
10-28-2011, 10:30 PM
I went to a local ferris dealer today and I was looking at the Ferris Evolution. It seems pretty nice, but the seating position feels like it would all go right to your knees, can someone who has one confirm this? Hows it on hills? Just looking at it you would think it would just tip right over.
I was also slightly interested in the Ferris is500z. I mean it seems nice, but the only options are briggs and stratton "professional series" engines. I know briggs isn't really what it used to be, but are these engines any better?

Anyways, I've got some time until I get a new mower, because I plan on getting one next spring. Any input would be appreciated.

jsslawncare
10-28-2011, 11:19 PM
I got a friend that bought a new 36" and hate's it. The way he talk's it must be good on flat lawns only. I told him to buy a 48" z and not buy it, now he's admitting that I was right.

Snapper Jack
10-29-2011, 08:41 AM
Local dealer can't get rid of the one floor model and demo he has,even after mark down.

Jimslawncareservice
10-29-2011, 09:03 AM
They are also heavy. Ride and handle nice. Never was on hills with it, but sales guy said to stay away if you have hills
Posted via Mobile Device

Cheffy
10-29-2011, 12:00 PM
I bought a 48 inch with a 27 hp on it . It is a lot lighter then big zeros I like it for my small to medium residentials. It is ok on hills it will scalp a little if you hit an angle wrong . I traded a used , very used dixie chopper run behind for it and a little cash. I feel I stole it because the chopper was shot. It was a demo (150 hrs) asking price was $ 4000.00 . I traded my chopper and $ 800.00 cash. I think they really wanted to move it . I mow alot in town all the parks and the village properties, so I maybe think if people see me with it they might sell a couple . The ride takes a little to get use to but is actually better on your lower back. Hope this helps if presented this deal again I would buy it again.

c2weech
10-29-2011, 03:38 PM
I demoed a 48 evo for a couple days.

Here are my thoughts:
2.At the end of the day got off that thing feeling like a million bucks. Much better than a rider and even better than a walkbehind with a sulky. How your legs touch the front is a little wierd at first but you get used to it.
3.Very compact a couple inches shorter than the sacg v ride and you your not standing

Indifferent: Held hills better than I thought but not as good as a good low center of gravity ztr like a scag turf tiger.

Dislikes
1. about 200 lbs heavier than same size stander.
2. No 60inch available (which I would like and need that size and like to keep my mowers the same)
3. Did not like the deck adjustment system.
4. I also worry about how easy to service

pugs
10-29-2011, 05:30 PM
I went to a local ferris dealer today and I was looking at the Ferris Evolution. It seems pretty nice, but the seating position feels like it would all go right to your knees, can someone who has one confirm this? Hows it on hills? Just looking at it you would think it would just tip right over.
I was also slightly interested in the Ferris is500z. I mean it seems nice, but the only options are briggs and stratton "professional series" engines. I know briggs isn't really what it used to be, but are these engines any better?

Anyways, I've got some time until I get a new mower, because I plan on getting one next spring. Any input would be appreciated.

I would move up to a 1500Z if you want to use it commercially. Nothing wrong with the 500 as a machine, but you cant get a commercial engine on it. Its made more for a price point for homeowners to buy.

Cheffy
10-29-2011, 05:34 PM
Hey I am not pushing it or selling it. I own one and I like it To change blades I use a jungle jack the same as I change my ferris 3100, my turf tiger , or my chopper. to get to the pulleys the top cover comes right off. changing oil is simple the pumps I dont do my self anyways. I am just adding helpful info as I enjoy this site and if we all help each other that is what it is here for.

ommegang
10-29-2011, 06:16 PM
I had a 2007 1500 52". No problems, susp great! but, cut dispersal sucked - non ICD deck. Now, to compare, I have a 52" Scag Vride. I miss the suspension a little and the hydros are tight on the scag steering. But, cut dispersal is A1. And, I prefer being up high to see and get on/off quick. Susp on th Vride works too. Gas seems to go away quicker though.

2stroked
10-29-2011, 08:27 PM
I would move up to a 1500Z if you want to use it commercially. Nothing wrong with the 500 as a machine, but you cant get a commercial engine on it. Its made more for a price point for homeowners to buy.

I meant to say 1500z. I'll guess i'll wait to demo one in the spring. Thanks for the input guys:usflag: