PDA

View Full Version : Cougar Drive shaft question

Mikegyver
10-29-2011, 12:34 AM
When i am mowing ditches (driving into them perpendicular) w/ my Scag Cougar sometimes the shaft makes a rattling sound and "binds". Is this normal? Or should i avoid ditches/hills at all costs?

Mikegyver
10-30-2011, 01:14 AM
Hope that is not an obvious or stupid question. Someone please answer!

ed2hess
11-01-2011, 08:30 PM
Yep when it makes noise that is bad so you have got to watch going thru deep ditches.I have never broke one but ........I shut off the pto when going thru a deep ditch.

gene gls
11-01-2011, 09:40 PM
The angle is too steep and the drive shaft rubs on something when the deck tips up. My Walker will do the same thing, drive shaft rubs on the plastic discharge shute for the deck. You just have to be aware of the deck angle.

Mikegyver
11-01-2011, 10:50 PM
Thanks. These are just standard residencial ditches and the bottoms of hills nothing major...whats acceptable as far as angles go?
mike

gene gls
11-01-2011, 11:00 PM
Thanks. These are just standard residencial ditches and the bottoms of hills nothing major...whats acceptable as far as angles go?
mike

When it starts making noise, the angle is too steep, change your approach

Mikegyver
11-02-2011, 09:24 AM
Ok thanks. That stinks...will be pulling out a different mower for all the hills now :realmad: Thought that was the idea behind these machines is that they are good on hillls??????