PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about starting a leaf clean up business, Input needed please.

BobbieB
10-29-2011, 12:27 AM
First a little background, I'm 22 and live in a subdivision in Washington Mi, that has a lot of leaves, I mean a ton. When I bagged my yard, I end up with 40-50 bags per week. I have equipment that I use to take care of my yard, a Redmax bp blower, and a Billy Goat Walk behind blower, that I can use in my business. Everyone burns in my neighborhood and they all hate it. I have talked to many neighbors and they would pay to have them removed, so I got to thinking.

I have no interest in starting a full lawn care business, I know that sounds stupid but I don't. Only a leaf service. I would offer full cleanups, and you rake we take deals. Figured I could work alone, maybe needing help every so often.

My plan.

I have thought of many different routes. First was a dump truck with a vac. I decided against that because of the cost of the truck, plates, maintenance etc. Also the licenses needed for air brakes and commercial hauling. Plus, what could I do with a dump truck when not in use.

So I decided on a dump trailer vac system. Figure dump trailer 3,000, vac 1,800, wood/tarps/etc 500. Puts me around 5-6 k for the system. This makes much more sense to have this system. And I have a place to store it, and possible use for it as well.

Now, I currently have a 2008 Duramax modded, which is my baby, but fully capable of doing any towing. I would just be scared of damaging my truck to run this operation. I wouldn't want to put anything in the bed, but Idk where I would fit a blower, walk behind, rakes and gas cans. But, now that winter is around the bend, I'm looking at getting a gas getter/not having to let my diesel warm up to drive 10 ft. Probably a v-6 ranger. Do you think it could pull a dump trailer loaded with leaves? My buddy's got one and tows a car hauler with a Wrangler on it, so Idk. Wouldn't really care much about this truck, it would be my "beater".

Then money comes into play. What to charge. My yard is .75 acre and takes me 1.25 hours to blow into large piles. I would be happy with 200 for a full cleanup and haul away. Or I figure 80 for just leaf pickup. Can anyone in the Shelby/Washington/Romeo area give me help on the pricing. I figure I can be very competitive. I would have no overhead besides a trailer and equipment that I already have. Some of these guys charge crazy amounts. Before I was old enough to do my leaves, 10 years ago, we paid 400-500 to have them done. And last year, I got a week behind and had soooo many leaves that I called a company to vac them up, and they wanted $240. So I think I can make some money here.

Lastly where to dump. Anyone know of a place near 28 and Mound that I can dump at. I assume there's gotta be a few? I would be willing to pay but free is best. :clapping:

H & M Yard Improvements
10-29-2011, 11:42 AM
First a little background, I'm 22 and live in a subdivision in Washington Mi, that has a lot of leaves, I mean a ton. When I bagged my yard, I end up with 40-50 bags per week. I have equipment that I use to take care of my yard, a Redmax bp blower, and a Billy Goat Walk behind blower, that I can use in my business. Everyone burns in my neighborhood and they all hate it. I have talked to many neighbors and they would pay to have them removed, so I got to thinking.

I have no interest in starting a full lawn care business, I know that sounds stupid but I don't. Only a leaf service. I would offer full cleanups, and you rake we take deals. Figured I could work alone, maybe needing help every so often.

My plan.

I have thought of many different routes. First was a dump truck with a vac. I decided against that because of the cost of the truck, plates, maintenance etc. Also the licenses needed for air brakes and commercial hauling. Plus, what could I do with a dump truck when not in use.

So I decided on a dump trailer vac system. Figure dump trailer 3,000, vac 1,800, wood/tarps/etc 500. Puts me around 5-6 k for the system. This makes much more sense to have this system. And I have a place to store it, and possible use for it as well.

Now, I currently have a 2008 Duramax modded, which is my baby, but fully capable of doing any towing. I would just be scared of damaging my truck to run this operation. I wouldn't want to put anything in the bed, but Idk where I would fit a blower, walk behind, rakes and gas cans. But, now that winter is around the bend, I'm looking at getting a gas getter/not having to let my diesel warm up to drive 10 ft. Probably a v-6 ranger. Do you think it could pull a dump trailer loaded with leaves? My buddy's got one and tows a car hauler with a Wrangler on it, so Idk. Wouldn't really care much about this truck, it would be my "beater".

Then money comes into play. What to charge. My yard is .75 acre and takes me 1.25 hours to blow into large piles. I would be happy with 200 for a full cleanup and haul away. Or I figure 80 for just leaf pickup. Can anyone in the Shelby/Washington/Romeo area give me help on the pricing. I figure I can be very competitive. I would have no overhead besides a trailer and equipment that I already have. Some of these guys charge crazy amounts. Before I was old enough to do my leaves, 10 years ago, we paid 400-500 to have them done. And last year, I got a week behind and had soooo many leaves that I called a company to vac them up, and they wanted $240. So I think I can make some money here.

Lastly where to dump. Anyone know of a place near 28 and Mound that I can dump at. I assume there's gotta be a few? I would be willing to pay but free is best. :clapping:

Not to discourage you, but most people want someone who will do year round service for them. These insane prices that you speak of are legit companies that have expenses and families to support. The money they charge for a service doesnt go into their pockets. They have to pay taxes, employees, operating expenses etc. How much fuel do you think you will need to operate your machines? How much do you think it will cost you in fuel to take your loads to the dump? If the dump charges a fee, are you going to pay for it out of your own pocket? I assure you its not FREE as you would call it. Know your expenses and labor and charge accordingly. If I were you, and I was thinking of a leaf removal service, I would first assume that you are legit and fully insured and would have planned how you were going to do it way ahead of time and started advertising months ago, maybe even last year when you were doing it. The way you just presented yourself makes you seem like a lowballer which many on this site frown upon and you will hardly get any advise from them. Just my 2 cents! Good Luck!

JB1
10-29-2011, 11:47 AM
sounds like if your gonna do it, you better get to it or it will be done for this year.

BobbieB
10-29-2011, 01:57 PM
I wouldn't attempt to start it up this year. Leaf season is over, and you can get equiptment cheaper in the winter. But for the most part I understand that these companies have opperating cost, it's not like I'm trying to put people under. I just don't think that 2-3 guys and a leaf truck is worth 500-600. I could offer the service for less, and there's still plenty of work for everyone. And most of these "legit" companies are unreliable. There never on time and always do an ok job, not all but most. There still are alot of people that do their own cutting but can't handle the volume of leaves in the fall and that's where I come in.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
10-29-2011, 02:06 PM
Oct 30th is not the day to start a business plan for a "leaf pickup only business". You want to invest a ton of money in specialty equipment for a few week gig? To top it off you want to low ball right out of the gate. you sound like a homeowner that fails to understand what goes into running a business and why a pro has the nerve to charge 240.00. Find some kid with a rake and a roll of trash bags, maybe he will work for 10 bucks an hour. Sorry to be Captain Killjoy.:usflag:

sdk1959
10-29-2011, 02:36 PM
I wouldn't attempt to start it up this year. Leaf season is over, and you can get equiptment cheaper in the winter. But for the most part I understand that these companies have opperating cost, it's not like I'm trying to put people under. I just don't think that 2-3 guys and a leaf truck is worth 500-600. I could offer the service for less, and there's still plenty of work for everyone. And most of these "legit" companies are unreliable. There never on time and always do an ok job, not all but most. There still are alot of people that do their own cutting but can't handle the volume of leaves in the fall and that's where I come in.
Posted via Mobile Device

Problem is, you don't have regular lawn customers, which means anyone that calls you will wait till the last leaf falls then want a fall clean-up. Between the limited daylight, and the amount of leaves to deal with, you will have to hire some help.

I mulch leaves in the fall for customers over 2-6 visits depending on how wooded their lot is, instead of collection and removal. But I'm only able to do that because I have regular customers and can schedule leaf mulching visits. There would be far too many leaves to mulch at once if my customers wanted it done all in one shot at the end of the season.

With your business plan you only have one option-leaf collection and removal plus most people who would want that done already have a lawn service and will ask them first to do leaf clean-up- not look in the paper or phone book for someone else to do it for them.

Kelly's Landscaping
10-29-2011, 04:31 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

You sure know how to piss off half the landscapers on the planet. You described half a day 500-600 with a 3 man set up is half a day. So they will do 2 jobs that size if all goes well and they can get the truck emptied in time for another clean up. So now you know they bring in 1000-1200. How much do you think men expect to be paid in this trade ill tell you 150-200 a day each. So now there goes 450-600 dollars of that. You still got 50 dollars in fuel cost then we get to spend 5 dollars a yard to dump the leaves and that's 60 a truck. You haven't touched on rent, insurance, banking fees, billing costs, equipment repairs, equipment replacements, truck repairs, truck replacements, tires all those F U fees that go with employee payroll. And then you may want to actually have a modest profit for yourself and trust me in fall clean ups at 1000-1200 a day for a 3 man crew its really modest..

So you blatantly show off how much you don't know what your talking about. Including the whole truck air brake bs you mentioned. You need air brakes on trucks over 26,000 gvw what size do you think that is? my ram 4500 is only 16,000 gvw and shes huge. You can get 6500s that are 26000 even an avoid that cost or any truck less then 6500 will be under 26000 and exempt from the air brakes. Further more if a truck with air brakes was bothering you what did you think would happen with the dump trailers you are allowed 10000 and then move up to a CDL. So minus the 3k or so the trailer will weigh then add in box and vac and you got a 6k payload. Where you could have 10k plus on a larger truck that still doesn't have air breaks and not need a CDL either.

Now if this is your dream they do have several leaf trailer options out there with the vac built in place but that does lead us to one other point you are missing. The wear and tear on the vac is huge the liners go the hose wears out the tips wear off the impeller wears down. Then the engine is in about the dirtiest place in the world so you will get all sorts of engine issues over the years. Basically I have 2 20hp giant vacs and have worked out the repairs vs the hours we use it OUR cost and that means what we pay to use it so OUR cost is over 60 and hour to use a vac. Nothing is a cheap as it seams so think hard on this before jumping in. If you want the low cost rake and bag approach knock yourself out the reason we get what we get is we pay to do the jobs quicker that's our investment. Is a guy with a ranger and a rake and a few bags worth 60 an hour absolutely not. Is a 5 man crew with self propelled blowers leaf plows on ztrs with vac systems leaf trucks with 20 plus hp vacs and brand new br 600s for every man worth 300 and hour you bet your ass it is.

H & M Yard Improvements
10-29-2011, 04:45 PM
You sure know how to piss off half the landscapers on the planet. You described half a day 500-600 with a 3 man set up is half a day. So they will do 2 jobs that size if all goes well and they can get the truck emptied in time for another clean up. So now you know they bring in 1000-1200. How much do you think men expect to be paid in this trade ill tell you 150-200 a day each. So now there goes 450-600 dollars of that. You still got 50 dollars in fuel cost then we get to spend 5 dollars a yard to dump the leaves and that's 60 a truck. You haven't touched on rent, insurance, banking fees, billing costs, equipment repairs, equipment replacements, truck repairs, truck replacements, tires all those F U fees that go with employee payroll. And then you may want to actually have a modest profit for yourself and trust me in fall clean ups at 1000-1200 a day for a 3 man crew its really modest..

So you blatantly show off how much you don't know what your talking about. Including the whole truck air brake bs you mentioned. You need air brakes on trucks over 26,000 gvw what size do you think that is? my ram 4500 is only 16,000 gvw and shes huge. You can get 6500s that are 26000 even an avoid that cost or any truck less then 6500 will be under 26000 and exempt from the air brakes. Further more if a truck with air brakes was bothering you what did you think would happen with the dump trailers you are allowed 10000 and then move up to a CDL. So minus the 3k or so the trailer will weigh then add in box and vac and you got a 6k payload. Where you could have 10k plus on a larger truck that still doesn't have air breaks and not need a CDL either.

Now if this is your dream they do have several leaf trailer options out there with the vac built in place but that does lead us to one other point you are missing. The wear and tear on the vac is huge the liners go the hose wears out the tips wear off the impeller wears down. Then the engine is in about the dirtiest place in the world so you will get all sorts of engine issues over the years. Basically I have 2 20hp giant vacs and have worked out the repairs vs the hours we use it OUR cost and that means what we pay to use it so OUR cost is over 60 and hour to use a vac. Nothing is a cheap as it seams so think hard on this before jumping in. If you want the low cost rake and bag approach knock yourself out the reason we get what we get is we pay to do the jobs quicker that's our investment. Is a guy with a ranger and a rake and a few bags worth 60 an hour absolutely not. Is a 5 man crew with self propelled blowers leaf plows on ztrs with vac systems leaf trucks with 20 plus hp vacs and brand new br 600s for every man worth 300 and hour you bet your ass it is.

That just about sums it up lol! And thats just leaf clean ups! Imagine the mowing and landscaping side of it. Some people just havent got a clue. Know it all lowballers suck! I really liked your reply. Good post!

BobbieB
10-29-2011, 06:42 PM
I like your reply. Seems you have alot of free time. Instead of writing me a three paragraph response you should be out working. So I can just tell how your business is run.

But if it takes your crew half a day to clean .75 acres, you need to clean your crew up. They clearly arnt performing all that well. My yard is .75 acres with aprx 90 large trees and I can have it plown cleanly to the road for burning in under 1.25 hours. That's around all tress, beds and every picking up almost every leaf. That's by myself with a 7100 redmax. Now if I had a guy running my push blower I'd be done way faster. With a vac I could do my property in 1.5-2 hours. And would be happy with 2-300. I understand how business work.

Secondly, I'm not looking to spend a ton on a truck. All the small under cdl trucks are 10 k, the older bigger trucks that are cheap have air brakes. Plus you need a vehicle inspection sticker over 10,000 plus insurance etc. Don't forget laws very in every state.

I know it's the end of the season, that's my plan. Have time to think and research before I do anything. Also here in micigan things get real cheap this time of year. But I've looked at alot of set ups on this site. Some of them are amazing, some arnt even close to professional. I'm not looking to go all out and build a crazy rig, just looking to make money and offer honest pricing. For yeas people have been gravytraining leaf pickup. Now there going under because companys charge an arm and a leg, then wonder why they don't get call backs.

I never claimed to be a pro. I had an idea that I though could work. But seems like you guys are more into character bashing, than constructive criticism.
Posted via Mobile Device

93Chevy
10-29-2011, 06:52 PM
I like your reply. Seems you have alot of free time. Instead of writing me a three paragraph response you should be out working. So I can just tell how your business is run.

I never claimed to be a pro. I had an idea that I though could work. But seems like you guys are more into character bashing, than constructive criticism.
Posted via Mobile Device

Why would he be out working at 430 on a Saturday? No thanks...

You want constructive criticism...come back to us with a better plan and higher pricing.

H & M Yard Improvements
10-29-2011, 06:57 PM

But if it takes your crew half a day to clean .75 acres, you need to clean your crew up. They clearly arnt performing all that well. My yard is .75 acres with aprx 90 large trees and I can have it plown cleanly to the road for burning in under 1.25 hours. That's around all tress, beds and every picking up almost every leaf. That's by myself with a 7100 redmax. Now if I had a guy running my push blower I'd be done way faster. With a vac I could do my property in 1.5-2 hours. And would be happy with 2-300. I understand how business work.

Secondly, I'm not looking to spend a ton on a truck. All the small under cdl trucks are 10 k, the older bigger trucks that are cheap have air brakes. Plus you need a vehicle inspection sticker over 10,000 plus insurance etc. Don't forget laws very in every state.

I know it's the end of the season, that's my plan. Have time to think and research before I do anything. Also here in micigan things get real cheap this time of year. But I've looked at alot of set ups on this site. Some of them are amazing, some arnt even close to professional. I'm not looking to go all out and build a crazy rig, just looking to make money and offer honest pricing. For yeas people have been gravytraining leaf pickup. Now there going under because companys charge an arm and a leg, then wonder why they don't get call backs.

Posted via Mobile Device

Sorry that you see constructive criticism as character bashing. I guess the truth really does hurt!

Patriot Services
10-29-2011, 07:02 PM
Why does it seem that everybody that does a project in their own yard automatically think that makes them a pro capable of running a business.
Posted via Mobile Device

93Chevy
10-29-2011, 07:06 PM
Why does it seem that everybody that does a project in their own yard automatically think that makes them a pro capable of running a business.
Posted via Mobile Device

Well he's obviously doing something right if he can clear leaves from 90 trees in just over an hour.

:rolleyes:

Darryl G
10-29-2011, 07:18 PM
Could you please advise me where to get dump trailers for $3,000 and leaf vacs for $1,800. Even used you'd have a hard time finding a dump trailer for that.

If you've already got ALL the equipment to use I could see doing just leaves to make some extra money. But to go buying equipment that is going to sit around for most of the year, I just can't see it. Maybe you could do the cleanups minus the removal part? Team up with someone who has a vac unit? You get them to the curb and he/she takes them away...that kind of deal.

Kelly's Landscaping
10-29-2011, 07:25 PM
May want to check the news there the northeast is getting hammered with a freak snow storm. Its about 6 weeks early so the reason I am home is were in the middle of a winter storm and our leaves are not even down yet which is bad since they are too heavy now and breaking as we speak. But even if I had worked today I still would of been nice and helped with your questions when I got home.

I'll fill you in on something I do not give estimates for leaf clean ups I do not accept any from non customers why because I can not fit any more and have trouble doing the 100 plus I do every fall. As for riding high and getting rich nothing could be farther from the truth its just turning dollars. A necessary evil as part of our business. You hear the dollar amounts and get excited never realizing that lawns and the warm weather jobs are significantly more important to us. The days are shorter and colder and the jobs less routine and the result is 50% less revenue per month for Nov and Dec and that's when things go well sometimes its even more of a cut.

As for how I run my business start your own before you comment on someone that does a quarter-million a year in this tough highly competitive trade.:)

H & M Yard Improvements
10-29-2011, 07:37 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Darryl G
10-29-2011, 07:38 PM
BTW - I think a V-6 Ford Ranger pulling a dump trailer with a full load of wet leaves is a great idea, lol.

And you really have a truck that you wouldn't want to put ANYTHING in the bed? Really? And I don't get it...you warm up your truck to drive 10 feet...what to get the newspaper out of the driveway? Please help me out here because I don't get it.

Patriot Services
10-29-2011, 07:40 PM
I heart noobies!
Posted via Mobile Device

BobbieB
10-29-2011, 08:01 PM
Look on Detroit craigslist, there's a few trailers in the 3-3500 range and several leaf loaders for 1,800. You can also work with people to get the prices lower.
There's no reason not to be working on a Sat at 4:30 when winters right around the corner?
Idk how much you know about Diesel's but mine is modded, and it is reccomened that you warm it up somewhat before you drive it. I didn't literally mean 10 feet, I mean if I want to run to the store, it takes time to warm it up, gas vehicle "beater" hop in and go.
Posted via Mobile Device

H & M Yard Improvements
10-29-2011, 08:01 PM
btw - i think a v-6 ford ranger pulling a dump trailer with a full load of wet leaves is a great idea, lol.

And you really have a truck that you wouldn't want to put anything in the bed? Really? And i don't get it...you warm up your truck to drive 10 feet...what to get the newspaper out of the driveway? please help me out here because i don't get it.

roflmao!!!

BobbieB
10-29-2011, 08:04 PM
I came looking for advice, pricing info and ideas. Sure I might have approched thing poorly. But I thought this was a proffesional fourm, didn't expect some of your responses. I had good intentions for this thread but now it's just a bash session.
Posted via Mobile Device

93Chevy
10-29-2011, 08:07 PM
There's no reason not to be working on a Sat at 4:30 when winters right around the corner?

It's called family and down time. If you're backed up, fine. But if you're able manage your time well, then there's no reason to kill yourself all the time.

Darryl G
10-29-2011, 08:14 PM
Look on Detroit craigslist, there's a few trailers in the 3-3500 range and several leaf loaders for 1,800. You can also work with people to get the prices lower.
Idk how much you know about Diesel's but mine is modded, and it is reccomened that you warm it up somewhat before you drive it. I didn't literally mean 10 feet, I mean if I want to run to the store, it takes time to warm it up, gas vehicle "beater" hop in and go.
Posted via Mobile Device

OK, thanks for clearing that up. I actually tried to go out and blow some leaves in my yard this afternoon and even with one of the biggest baggest blowers on the market, the Husqvarna 580BTS, it didn't do squat with an inch of slush on the ground. I'm sure as hell not going to go to my customer's properties and try to do cleanups in these conditions.

93Chevy
10-29-2011, 08:18 PM
OK, thanks for clearing that up. I actually tried to go out and blow some leaves in my yard this afternoon and even with one of the biggest baggest blowers on the market, the Husqvarna 580BTS, it didn't do squat with an inch of slush on the ground. I'm sure as hell not going to go to my customer's properties and try to do cleanups in these conditions.

Last November I tried doing a couple cleanups with just a dusting of snow...never again...took 10 times as long as it should have. Leaves wouldn't suck up with the mower, the blower wouldn't blow them more than 3 inches at a time, and when I went to tarp them and take them to the truck, I could only lift 15 leaves at a time.

H & M Yard Improvements
10-29-2011, 08:22 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

I guess he didnt get the memo that the northeast is getting hammered with a Nor 'Easter right now and theres still leaves on the trees here causing trees to snap under the weight causing roads to become impassable. Guess thats not a reason not to work huh?

Kelly's Landscaping
10-29-2011, 08:29 PM
Last November I tried doing a couple cleanups with just a dusting of snow...never again...took 10 times as long as it should have. Leaves wouldn't suck up with the mower, the blower wouldn't blow them more than 3 inches at a time, and when I went to tarp them and take them to the truck, I could only lift 15 leaves at a time.

Oh man do I got that story beat 3 seasons ago we finish off a neighborhood with snow in the forecast for the next day we just couldn't get that last over sized fenced lawn. So the next morning they had snow predicted for around noon so we went out any ways blew off the entire front then the chain broke on the drive for out self propelled fradan 18hp blower. So be it we made it a manual one figured it was a hilly lawn so were blowing the back through a gate the guy made to the woods and when we got close to the end I started mowing the place. I use a 27hp 60 inch lazer with a trac vac system I get the entire front done then head to the back just as the snow starts. I finish the back about 10 mins latter. By now the snow is coming down like a blizzard huge heavy flakes. The ride home was a challenge trailers do not like 2-3 inches of snow and it was that deep in 30-45 mins from it starting so we raced to unload nothing got winterized. Next spring found a surprise we had like 10 gallons of the nastiest water you can imagine in the trac vac barrel all sorts of molds growing in there guess we forgot to dump it that last time opps. The mower bagged the snow and then later it melted.

Kelly's Landscaping
10-29-2011, 08:37 PM
I came looking for advice, pricing info and ideas. Sure I might have approched thing poorly. But I thought this was a proffesional fourm, didn't expect some of your responses. I had good intentions for this thread but now it's just a bash session.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bob I wasn't trying to bash you I was pointing out the reality of this aspect of this trade. You took a few cheap shots at me and I stomped on you I guess and I apologize I realize you are new here. So what do you say we leave what was said behind and see if we can help you if you still want it. And I didn't fully unload I let the line about how I must be inefficient slide because I know tree sizes differ dramatically as do seeds and things that get caught in the lawns. Get some lawns with yellow poplar seeds and your watch you blow off times quadruple and don't get me started with nut trees.

So what are the makes and models of the dump trailers your looking at and what size leaf vac can you buy used for 1800?

RodneyK
10-30-2011, 08:44 AM
If you want to do this legit and with only one man and possibly some help along the way you really can't do enough clean-ups to justify all the costs.

BobbieB
10-30-2011, 11:10 PM
I've been looking at a few trailers. The first 2 are 3k private owners and seem to be in good shape but need paint, which is not a big deal. I plan on adding 4-6 foot sides and painting the entire trailer. The last one is brand new. He will take $3500 for it. I like the idea of new, but from what I've read a axle under is better for leaves.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/grd/2668659875.html
http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/grd/2670813347.html
http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/grd/2662764150.html

And as for the leaf vac, I judged a little light. Figuring more like 2-2500. There's a 23hp Giant Vac that I could get for 2500 firm, tow behind unit that I would mount.

I would use the stake pockets and 2x12 to build the box higher, and have my buddy's fab shop build the steel doors higher and some braces for the top and weld the vac to the tongue of the trailer somehow. My only issue is where to put my push blower, I could put it in the truck bed, but it would be a pain. Thinking about welding a receiver to the back of my dump trailer and making a platform that the blower would sit on and could be removed for dumping.

I'm not sure how long everyone's typical leaf season is, but around me it tends to go from Oct 1 through November. And typically the city applies for a burn and yard waste pickup extension till the last week in November. I talk to my buddy who has his own company and he is back up big time right now. He has 3 crews, 2 for blowing to the street, and 1 strictly to for leaf vac. I bounced some ideas off him and he mentioned I could even run some pickups for him when he's really backed up.

I just did my leafs today and it took me so long to burn because there damp, and want to have them clean for tomorrow. Thinking it would be so nice to have my own unit. The guy behind me usually does his own leaves, but isn't feeling well to enough to burn so is having his yard guy just pick up the pile. He's paying him $80 for a pile about the size of a average pick up truck.

Darryl G
10-30-2011, 11:31 PM
Burning leaves is just not something you do around here. I'm surprised it's allowed where you are.

I don't think you want to be removing your vac unit every time you dump....actually I KNOW you don't want to be removing it...scratch that plan...really. I have a low profile dump trailer and love it...nice low loading height for lifting stuff in and if you want to ramp equipment in. I see that Bri-Mar has a ramp gate. That new one looks like a really good deal and looks like a Bri-Mar copy. I think the seller is overstating things a bit calling that Bri-Mar in excellent shape but it looks better than the Proline though. Both good tough trailers, but by the time you get done shopping them out you'll probably be at or above the price of the new one.

You can probably get by without the wheel blower, depending on what backpack blower you have.

Most people mount the vac on the tongue above the battery box, either attached to the frame or the box itself. I feel cramped working in that area between the truck and trailer but people do it all the time. I have a 16HP Billy Goat I mount on my trailer door. If you're going to mount it on the back of the trailer like you mentioned, I think you need a swing-away hitch or something.

Sorry if my thoughts are a bit random...no time to compose this any better...working on my invoices.

BobbieB
10-30-2011, 11:49 PM
I still can't believe you can burn in this day in age. Most of the homes in my sub are under 1/3 acre and were on dirt roads. People blow the leaves just past there grass and dowse them in gas and light them up. Its horrible, it smells and it cant be healthy.

But the more I think about it, the more I like the Idea of a new trailer. Warranty, less to mess with and heck good paint.

I didn't clarify my plan 100% I guess. I do plan on putting the vac unit on the tongue, and having it professionally welded, maybe put it on a swing system just in case I need to get in the battery box. But I was thinking about how to haul my push blower. I have one and it would be nice to use, only way to haul it would be to rig up something on the rear.

Kelly's Landscaping
10-31-2011, 12:32 AM
What brand is the 23 hp engine I'm suspecting Briggs I ask because some of the giant vac units are compact and others are simply very difficult to work with. The one I mount to the truck we made into a swing away its a 20hp Kohler that's the good part the bad part is its roughly a 3x3 skid which I doubt would fit on the A frame of a trailer. The other pain in the ass is the weight shes 700 pounds and it's quite the nightmare getting that into the hinges on my trucks side wall.

BobbieB
10-31-2011, 12:38 AM
Its a Kholer engine. But now that you mention that, I think it would be to big to tongue mount. I've been looking at a Billy Goat with I think a 16hp motor, cant really tell from the pic. I know bigger is better, but how do these units perform?

Kelly's Landscaping
10-31-2011, 12:42 AM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=357638

few mounted pics in here and on page 7 or 8 I even have a few pics of my gmc set up last fall your love the sizes of the trees in the pic as well.

BobbieB
10-31-2011, 12:45 AM
Nice setup, those are about the same size trees around me. That pile is typical of what I produce in my yard. Out of curiosity, what did you charge for that job and what would you charge for pickup only?

Darryl G
10-31-2011, 12:49 AM
I still can't believe you can burn in this day in age. Most of the homes in my sub are under 1/3 acre and were on dirt roads. People blow the leaves just past there grass and dowse them in gas and light them up. Its horrible, it smells and it cant be healthy.

But the more I think about it, the more I like the Idea of a new trailer. Warranty, less to mess with and heck good paint.

I didn't clarify my plan 100% I guess. I do plan on putting the vac unit on the tongue, and having it professionally welded, maybe put it on a swing system just in case I need to get in the battery box. But I was thinking about how to haul my push blower. I have one and it would be nice to use, only way to haul it would be to rig up something on the rear.

oooooh..sorry misread...was in a hurry...dropping in here for breaks from invoicing, lol. I thought the vac was going on the back...I get it now....little cargo carrier back there for the blower.

Kelly's Landscaping
10-31-2011, 12:54 AM
That job is over an acre and was about 700 or 800 dollars took about 2 hours to blow the back in or that would of been 3 times worse. Then about 2 more hours to wrap up the front and then vac it all up and cut the place and that was a 4 man crew I think but I may have had my part timer there as well. Lets just say that maxed out that truck quickly and that was a Sunday so I couldn't dump after words luckily I had a 450 dollar dump on site one near by so it was a decent day.

We won't do pick up only we need the truck ready for our own clean ups.

Kelly's Landscaping
10-31-2011, 12:59 AM
oooooh..sorry misread...was in a hurry...dropping in here for breaks from invoicing, lol. I thought the vac was going on the back...I get it now....little cargo carrier back there for the blower.

You too we also spent the day doing the invoicing we will wait till 10 am tomorrow to clean out the P.O. box for any late checks then print the new bills and hopefully get them in the mail for the 1st.

Darryl G
10-31-2011, 01:18 AM
You too we also spent the day doing the invoicing we will wait till 10 am tomorrow to clean out the P.O. box for any late checks then print the new bills and hopefully get them in the mail for the 1st.

Yup, I'll be doing a PO run too looking for checks. I print the invoices first and just do statements as well for any with outstanding balances...not to get off topic here.