PDA

View Full Version : Cost to spread mulch.

Greg78
10-29-2011, 11:17 AM
I got a local place charges $20.25 a yard or $1.50 a bag for spreading mulch, several other local places are about the same . I have always charged around $50.00 a yard or $4.00 a bag to spread depending on the property elevations, shrubs in the bed and how close I can get the pallets of mulch. This is just for spreading the mulch, not the cost of the mulch itself or any bed prep. We are talking about 2 CUFT bags.

Am I way off on my pricing? I got a customer that wants me to come closer to this price.

Greg78
10-29-2011, 11:49 AM
I have reviewed several of our last mulch jobs and running the numbers I have decided we will not lower our price to match. I am still interested if anybody on here can do it for that cheap?
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
10-29-2011, 12:21 PM
Well, it cost me 1.89/bag for cypress, so I will not be spreading for 1.5.....those are gutter prices. They are prob making very little on the job.
Posted via Mobile Device

Greg78
10-29-2011, 12:27 PM
Melaleuca mulch costs me $1.99 a bag. Cypress I can get 3 cuft bags for $2.53. So the question is if they are making very little why do it?
Posted via Mobile Device

jequigle
10-29-2011, 12:31 PM
I am charging $30 a yard to spread the mulch. I am getting mulch at $20 a yard and selling for $50

jsslawncare
10-29-2011, 12:43 PM
I'm paying $18.00 per yd selling it for $46.00. I double the price then I charge $10.00 per yd to spread.

Florida Gardener
10-29-2011, 12:56 PM
Melaleuca mulch costs me $1.99 a bag. Cypress I can get 3 cuft bags for $2.53. So the question is if they are making very little why do it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Good question. I'm sure if it's a mulch supplier their cost is low, but their prices are dirt cheap....
Posted via Mobile Device

GainesvilleLawnscaping
10-29-2011, 01:22 PM
We don't normally use bags, but we charge between $35-$45/yd. Usually $40-45.

gsaunders5
10-29-2011, 01:28 PM
We charge the cost of mulch, plus delivery, plus $50.00 per yard to spread. That's Dark Hardwood Bulk Mulch.

Keith
10-29-2011, 01:34 PM
The way they make money is that they are probably paying $8 a yard or less for it. They charge $25+ for it and $20.25 to pitch it. I know the cost is low because I was looking for a better deal one time on mulch and a local garden center owner told me that he would sell it to me for $10 a yard if I bought 100 yards. He said "you pay me. The supplier drops it off at your place and I never touch it." Just a wild guess, but he was still going to make a lick off of it. Wholesale mulch prices must be fairly low. I'm sure it's up now due to delivery expense, but it's still probably no more than 40% of retail.

FoghornLeghorn
10-29-2011, 06:26 PM
Delivered and installed, $5 a bag/hardwood, $6 a bag/Cedar

Mikegyver
10-30-2011, 08:03 PM
Ive been going 65-75 a yard installed and delivered. Mostly depends on the customer.
Mike

cpllawncare
10-30-2011, 08:37 PM
I've been charging $60/yd installed

MR-G
10-31-2011, 09:20 AM
we charge 2.5 times our cost of the mulch....anything less just isnt worth it...any bed prep,weeding,ect is additional.

Floridalandcare
10-31-2011, 11:04 PM
You guys laying mulch dirt cheap are killing yourselves and I would not touch a mulch job of any size for anything under $70.00 for cypress $75.00 for red $82.00 for pine bark,
I'm gonna get heat for this but get bags not bulk. Bags are fast , you can load 10 bags on a on a mower and take it where u want to and lay it in a minute with 3 guys, with bulk you gotta wheelbarrow or use a bobcat to move it , tear turf up in process ( very time consuming].

"Don't ever work for free guys. If one of my clients is gonna save money , its not gonna be at my expense"

MR-G
10-31-2011, 11:34 PM
You guys laying mulch dirt cheap are killing yourselves and I would not touch a mulch job of any size for anything under $70.00 for cypress $75.00 for red $82.00 for pine bark,
I'm gonna get heat for this but get bags not bulk. Bags are fast , you can load 10 bags on a on a mower and take it where u want to and lay it in a minute with 3 guys, with bulk you gotta wheelbarrow or use a bobcat to move it , tear turf up in process ( very time consuming].

"Don't ever work for free guys. If one of my clients is gonna save money , its not gonna be at my expense"

. totally agree with the bags...the small amount you save in bulk gets eaten up in labor costs plus some....14 2cu.ft bags equals a yard...(for those who didnt know this):usflag:

Florida Gardener
10-31-2011, 11:50 PM
+2 for bags, especially in heavily landscaped beds.
Posted via Mobile Device

Keith
11-01-2011, 12:18 AM
Same here. I have only been using bags for the past 5 years or so. It's easier to load on the trailer. Easier to get off. Easier to clean up after I'm done. And most of the time it is far better than the stuff I got in bulk. It's usually shredded much better. I got tired of pulling out chunks of dyed wood and small limbs as it was put down.

cpllawncare
11-01-2011, 12:50 AM
Bags it is this year!

Keith
11-01-2011, 02:39 PM
I'm going to argue something here and feel free to call me a scrub if you like. If I am buying mulch for $2 a bag, the same as the customer would pay for it, I am not going to be able to sell installed for $6 a bag. Not here. A good day would bring $4, but I have done it for $3.50. Again, my mulch price of $2 plus $2 to install it. Is that so bad?

These are my regular customers, so no bed clean up is usually necessary. Ok, lets say it is going to take me 150 bags. It takes me no more than an hour to go get it, have it loaded, strapped and at the job. So far I have an hour, maybe tack on $25 for delivery. I don't have to go far.

Two pallets of mulch, 150 bags. I could do 40 bags an hour with not much effort. 50 is possible, but we will use 30 bags an hour for the heck of it. That is a downright leisurely pace. That's 5 hours to put it down, plus my hour to go get it. So six hours total for $300 labor charge. Is $50 an hour that low for mulch? If you can 40 an hour, you are now over $60 an hour. This is primarily late winter or spring work, so heat is not unbearable at that point. It does not cut into mowing days.

To all of you that can get more, that's great. I am envious of you. But around here, $50 an hour, solo, is still pretty stinking good.

Florida Gardener
11-01-2011, 02:46 PM
I'm going to argue something here and feel free to call me a scrub if you like. If I am buying mulch for $2 a bag, the same as the customer would pay for it, I am not going to be able to sell installed for $6 a bag. Not here. A good day would bring $4, but I have done it for $3.50. Again, my mulch price of $2 plus $2 to install it. Is that so bad?

These are my regular customers, so no bed clean up is usually necessary. Ok, lets say it is going to take me 150 bags. It takes me no more than an hour to go get it, have it loaded, strapped and at the job. So far I have an hour, maybe tack on $25 for delivery. I don't have to go far.

Two pallets of mulch, 150 bags. I could do 40 bags an hour with not much effort. 50 is possible, but we will use 30 bags an hour for the heck of it. That is a downright leisurely pace. That's 5 hours to put it down, plus my hour to go get it. So six hours total for $300 labor charge. Is $50 an hour that low for mulch? If you can 40 an hour, you are now over $60 an hour. This is primarily late winter or spring work, so heat is not unbearable at that point. It does not cut into mowing days.

To all of you that can get more, that's great. I am envious of you. But around here, $50 an hour, solo, is still pretty stinking good.
Keith I don't think your a scrub at all, that is what I am charging per bag. I won't go under $4, and will prob start going to 4.5-5, but tripling is not gonna happen around here. Double is standard here.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tri-City Outdoors
11-01-2011, 03:00 PM
As a general rule. We charge cost materials times 2.5 ($5 per bag). However for regular customers we normally do material time 2. ($4 per bag). Most of the time we are contacted to control the weeds. So the mulch makes our job easier.

We must remember that a 14% tax is applied to all money received by a company so a $2 bag of mulch really is $2.28.

cpllawncare
11-01-2011, 04:04 PM
Cost times 2 is pretty standard around here also.

Landscape Poet
11-01-2011, 09:56 PM
+2 for bags, especially in heavily landscaped beds.
Posted via Mobile Device

+3 - generally whatever potential savings you can save on bulk is lost in labor real quick.

Darryl G
11-01-2011, 10:22 PM
I prefer bulk and fling it usually, make a hell of a mess and get it all over everything. Works best for putting down thin topdress layer. If I'm going thicker then I'll do the dump and rake or place with a pitch fork and rake. I don't like bags because they are often pretty compacted, but for some jobs where there are wide beds that can't be accessed with the front loader or wheelbarrow I'll use them. I charge T&M plus markup...usual productivity is on the order of 1 to 1.5 yards/man hour. Premium mulch (cedar or hemlock) with light to moderate weeding and edging usually works out to $85 to $100/yard installed.

Glenn Lawn Care
11-02-2011, 12:03 AM
Wow there is a lot of low prices on here. I get $65 per yard installed with out delivery or prep work!

GainesvilleLawnscaping
11-02-2011, 12:36 AM
Wow there is a lot of low prices on here. I get $65 per yard installed with out delivery or prep work!

Ya, and that would be great down in FL, but it just doesn't happen. What are you paying per yard?

Glenn Lawn Care
11-02-2011, 10:56 AM
Ya, and that would be great down in FL, but it just doesn't happen. What are you paying per yard?

$24.99 a yard for most mulches.

Darryl G
11-02-2011, 11:19 AM
Are you guys aware that many of the dyed mulches are derived from constrcution and demolition debris that may contain pressure treated wood and therefore be contaminated with Chromated Copper Arsenate? You risk not only exposing yourself, your workers and your customers to potentially high levels of heavy metals, but also contaminating your customers soil and groundwater. Pay a little more and use natural mulches please.

yamadooski
11-05-2011, 12:10 PM
Lets just face it that most of you guys here really have not had any previous real managment and business training.
BY the looks of the prices here from local guys most of you really dont know how to run a true protitable business.
$50.00 gross profit running solo sucks!
I have been in this area for 20 years and Im always above the going rate.
Cypress and Pine bark we do for $70.00 a yard. On top of that I charge $45 for a half tank of diesel fuel for the truck.
Why dont a few of you low priced guys really figure out your costs of fuel and goods prior to Obama and now currently.
Diesel prior to Obummer was $1.70, now most of the summer was $4.00.
I bet most of you have not raised your price either for lawn service.

punt66
11-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Up here i get $90yd istalled and delivered. 1 yd costs me around $20.

cpllawncare
11-05-2011, 06:34 PM
Lets just face it that most of you guys here really have not had any previous real managment and business training.
BY the looks of the prices here from local guys most of you really dont know how to run a true protitable business.
$50.00 gross profit running solo sucks!
I have been in this area for 20 years and Im always above the going rate.
Cypress and Pine bark we do for $70.00 a yard. On top of that I charge $45 for a half tank of diesel fuel for the truck.
Why dont a few of you low priced guys really figure out your costs of fuel and goods prior to Obama and now currently.
Diesel prior to Obummer was $1.70, now most of the summer was $4.00.
I bet most of you have not raised your price either for lawn service.

I have raised my minimum rate and plan on raising it again this upcoming season. I have done a market survey for this area, with all the biggest landscaping companies, I also have written quotes that my customers have shown me over the past year from other solo operators and competitors. I have have figured my cost, but like someone on here told me, it's easier to figure how much you're not making sometimes, kinda backwards but I know what he was talking about. This industry reminds me of the Commercial for the NRA (National Realtors Association) Check with your local Landscaper because each market is different. I wish we had a NLA ( National Landscapers Association) Then again maybe we do and I just don't know about it? So what some of you are calling lowballing is actually within reason for the local market. I've admitted several times on here that at the beginning of this season I didn't bid my jobs high enough, I've learned mostly through you guys how important that is. Not just for myself, but for the industry as a whole. I have become a student of the industry, with this comes a learning curve of which I'm currently going through, but I want to do not only what is best for me but the industry as a whole.

Greg78
11-05-2011, 07:17 PM
I am not talking cost of the mulch and spreading I am talking labor to spread only. I also mark up the mulch, charge delivery fees, add in for fuel and also tack on my time for measuring and figuring the quote.

cpllawncare
11-05-2011, 07:28 PM
I am not talking cost of the mulch and spreading I am talking labor to spread only. I also mark up the mulch, charge delivery fees, add in for fuel and also tack on my time for measuring and figuring the quote.

Greg, the labor is the easy part, how much do you want to make per hour? don't forget to include your insurance and taxes!

LawnScapers of Dayton
11-05-2011, 07:34 PM
$80 per yard........installed........more for weeding and edging

cpllawncare
11-05-2011, 07:48 PM
$80 per yard........installed........more for weeding and edging

No Disrespect DRM, But this is what I'm talking about, your in Ohio and he is in Florida, totally different markets. I'm pretty sure labor cost are totally different.

sealcutter
11-05-2011, 09:10 PM
Up here i get $90yd istalled and delivered. 1 yd costs me around $20.

Glad too see some close to what I charge here in Pa. I get a bulk load of about 60 yards at the start of the season for all commercial contracts I have and add to it as needed. This year was the first time doing this and should of did it two years ago. I go 85-95 a yard hear residential depending where the beds are.

sealcutter
11-05-2011, 09:40 PM
Are you guys aware that many of the dyed mulches are derived from constrcution and demolition debris that may contain pressure treated wood and therefore be contaminated with Chromated Copper Arsenate? You risk not only exposing yourself, your workers and your customers to potentially high levels of heavy metals, but also contaminating your customers soil and groundwater. Pay a little more and use natural mulches please.

I hear you... Last year I went with a local outfit that runs a green recycling composting yard and they grind up their own mulch. They control everything that goes in and you are not allowed to bring in any kind of demo wood or treated lumber. The mulch is awesome and cheap. The year before I had many complaints of fungus growing in some of the beds, never had this before and talk to the supplier and they changed bulk suppliers that season. That s*** sucked and I went out of my way and found another place for about the same price.