PDA

View Full Version : Weather

fireman gus
10-29-2011, 07:41 PM
For all you guys in the Northeast part of the country I hope all is well with you. My question is how do you prepare for a snow this early when you have leaf cleanups due. Here in North Central Oklahoma we are still mowing some Bermuda yards and definitly Fescue. The leaves have not started falling much yet. A storm this early in the year would be devestating to me. I don't do snow removal because we don't have that much and the cost of equipment doesn't justify it. So I would just be sitting and losing money.

Be safe out there!

32vld
10-29-2011, 09:45 PM
I live on Long Island. Here and I would say about 30 miles in from the shore on the main land NJ, NY, South west CT, Rarely have a white christmas. Even rarer to have snow in November.

If it does snow in the second half of December it melts away quickly. So if leaves were not picked up there still will be time to get the last of the leaves.

As you head north into the North East there trees drop their leaves sooner then for us so they have been doing leaf clean ups early then us coastal people.

H & M Yard Improvements
10-29-2011, 09:57 PM
I live on Long Island. Here and I would say about 30 miles in from the shore on the main land NJ, NY, South west CT, Rarely have a white christmas. Even rarer to have snow in November.

If it does snow in the second half of December it melts away quickly. So if leaves were not picked up there still will be time to get the last of the leaves.

As you head north into the North East there trees drop their leaves sooner then for us so they have been doing leaf clean ups early then us coastal people.

im in North jersey and we got about a foot of snow. good thing is we get to do snow removal. this particular storm, the snow will melt quickly in a day or 2 and we will be right back to leaf clean ups. i treat today and tomorrow as a rain day. ot too bad. if this was January, then forget it, id be done until spring!

ashgrove landscaping
10-29-2011, 11:34 PM
Yup it s basically like rain. Except we get to plow and make a little money still then go back to leaves and a few more mows believe it or not...

GMLC
10-30-2011, 11:53 AM
21 inches and 300k with no power here!! And I had all of november booked with fall clean ups.
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
10-30-2011, 12:12 PM
well i do snow removal so i'd be making money doing the snow.

as far as the leaves. depending on what the weather would be like after a snow storm this early (are the leaves frozen to the ground), they would just sit until spring.

so far i haven't seen any snow yet. probably won't until at least thanksgiving but should it happen i'll just keep doing leaves until it snows and then if the weather doesn't turn nice enough to get back out there after a snow they will sit until spring time.

Richard Martin
10-30-2011, 04:54 PM
im in North jersey and we got about a foot of snow.

We had one report of 16.8" of snow in Morris County.

jsf343
10-30-2011, 09:50 PM
wheres the pics?

lawnkingforever
10-30-2011, 10:18 PM
Yup it s basically like rain. Except we get to plow and make a little money still then go back to leaves and a few more mows believe it or not...

I hear you. I will be mowing for the next couple weeks also. I just finished my October billing, but I will still have some billing for November to go along with leaf cleanups. It is supposed to be in the 50's this week. I actually have a brushmowing job scheduled for Tuesday. My own yard needs mowed also. I got a few more weeks before I can put the mowers away.
Posted via Mobile Device

metro36
10-31-2011, 08:50 PM
I live on Long Island as well.

Every year I seem to slow down for two or three weeks when the grass isn't growing much and the leaves aren't falling yet. I take this time to prep my leaf removal equipment and then my snow equipment. I also help one of my buddies out, prepping his equipment. We have all three plows and the salter ready to be mounted. While it is rare that we get snow this early, I would rather be the one contractor that is ready in case we get snow.