PDA

View Full Version : Help with converting JD 737 into a leaf mulcher?

Ijustwantausername
10-30-2011, 11:30 AM
Do I just buy mulching blades and put a cover over the discharge chute so they all stay under the mower?

Trying to avoid buying a bagger this season as I don't have too many accounts with leaves.

Any other options?

Meg-Mo
10-30-2011, 08:13 PM
Put the MEG MO blades on your mower along with a 4" wide pice of exspanded metal ( the metal used on the tail gates of the small trailers out 4" in the discharge chute. You will have one of the very best mulching machine in your town.

JDiepstra
10-30-2011, 08:25 PM
You can not just put a cover over the discharge if you want to mulch efficiently. You need to get a mulch kit. It is a set of baffles that turns each blade into its own contained area. You should also get the wavy mulching blades. You will be amazed how many leaves you can reduce to dust. Be sure the leaves are dry or you will not be pleased with the result. You might even want to wear a dusk mask as well.

Meg-Mo
10-30-2011, 10:13 PM
What I posted in my last post is right and if you want to spend $100.00 and not what I told you to try go ahead. 20 years since the Meg Mo blades have been in services we have been able save people money and improve the mowing which the OEM's have not done in about 70 years.

integrityman
10-30-2011, 11:21 PM
Purchase a mulch kit from the JD dealer & use Mamba blades- Get those from Jthomas.

Id be suspicious of recommendations from MegMo.

Mulch kits are designed with specific baffles to provide a great cut and thorough mulching.

I mulch all my leaves and the finish is very impressive.

I do double cut, but it sure beats bagging and dragging.

Grind em til ya can't find em!!!!

Meg-Mo
10-31-2011, 01:09 AM
I said nothing about buying a mulch kit. A set of Meg mo blades and metal that I told about leaves are gone in 1 pass and then the best cut from then on and you will just buy knives at just $4.95@.

Ijustwantausername
10-31-2011, 10:13 AM
You can not just put a cover over the discharge if you want to mulch efficiently. You need to get a mulch kit. It is a set of baffles that turns each blade into its own contained area. You should also get the wavy mulching blades. You will be amazed how many leaves you can reduce to dust. Be sure the leaves are dry or you will not be pleased with the result. You might even want to wear a dusk mask as well.

I found the mamba blades, is that what you were talking about with the "wavy"? Can you post a link?

Ridin' Green
10-31-2011, 01:22 PM
If you buy the Deere mulching kit, it comes with the "wavy" blades as part of it. I have owned quite a few Deere mulch kits, and they work great for grass (as long as you follow their recommendations, and don't try to take off to much in one pass), and they make short work of leaves, though I have never found that mulching damp leaves was ever a problem. Soaking wet, like after a rain, that's a different story.

The wavy blades look like a std blade for the outer 3 or so inches, but then the cutting edge curves up, and forms a shallow radius on the cutting edge. The blade immediately behind the first part of the cutting edge goes back and up to the sail like a normal blade, but the metal behind the radiused edge actually goes back toward the rear on a slightly downward angle which forces the clippings (after being hit and chopped by the radiused edge) down into the turf.

integrityman
10-31-2011, 07:11 PM
I said nothing about buying a mulch kit. A set of Meg mo blades and metal that I told about leaves are gone in 1 pass and then the best cut from then on and you will just buy knives at just $4.95@.

No, But I did. That said, slapping a piece of mesh metal on the discharge chute seems like a lousy idea for a mulch kit. Manufactures generally design an aerodynamic baffle that performs as designed.

After all is said and done, and you read thread after thread after thread about meg Mo systems, it seems M-M systems leave a fair degree of uncut grass. Hence, I'm suspicious and unwilling to spend upwards of $200 on a suspect blade.

integrityman
10-31-2011, 07:15 PM
I found the mamba blades, is that what you were talking about with the "wavy"? Can you post a link?

No, they look like this:
http://www.greenpartstore.com/John-Deere-Mulching-Blades-38-inch-Mower-Tri-cycle-Mulching-Kit-GX00166.html

I used these type on my old exmark. They did ok- I just found the Mamba's did a better job.

Good luck- again- I encourage the use of a bonafide mulch kit.

weeze
11-01-2011, 12:31 AM
you can actually get the same result without mulching...just side discharge...and keep going over them until they disappear...either way you are doing the same thing...cutting the leaves up into tiny pieces.

Meg-Mo
11-01-2011, 09:53 AM
If you want to take hours to do what you can do in just a few min and you still have the Meg Mo blades to use for years and the block off cost less than $5.00 to get and make.

Ijustwantausername
11-01-2011, 11:11 AM
No, But I did. That said, slapping a piece of mesh metal on the discharge chute seems like a lousy idea for a mulch kit. Manufactures generally design an aerodynamic baffle that performs as designed.

After all is said and done, and you read thread after thread after thread about meg Mo systems, it seems M-M systems leave a fair degree of uncut grass. Hence, I'm suspicious and unwilling to spend upwards of $200 on a suspect blade.

Thanks, yeah I just figured you could cover up the discharge chute and that would do the trick. At least that's what it looked like on the "mulch on demand" ad for John Deere. I guess that was with the mulch kit under the deck.

Lawn Pawn
11-01-2011, 11:36 AM
There is no best way.....

To many variables... every lawn... every day... every mower and blade combination.

Usually start out with the simplest and start throwing money at it from there.

Seriously, simple is usually the best.
Get some good mulching blades... do doubles if you like... Purchase or fab a gate for your discharge, and experiment!!

Be willing to go slow... and let your machine give you feedback. It will be working extra hard.

Ridin' Green
11-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Thanks, yeah I just figured you could cover up the discharge chute and that would do the trick.

Not really. I have done that before, but all it does is make/leave a mess along the inside edge of the discharge chute cover, especially with leaves.

At least that's what it looked like on the "mulch on demand" ad for John Deere. I guess that was with the mulch kit under the deck.

Go to this link, then scroll sideways on the arrows until the bottom view of the mod deck comes up. Then clicj on the black tab that says "shift lever to mulch position". This is how the MOD deck works. Notice the way the baffles move under the deck, and just inside the blockoff plate at the dscharge chute. This is stoll fifferent from what their full time mulch kit is like.
http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US/industry/commerical/our_offerings/7iron_mower/7iron_mower_deck.page?

Ridin' Green
11-01-2011, 12:28 PM
I have one of Deere's steel mulch kits that were used on their 60" decks on both the 425/445/455 series tractors, as well as their smaller CUT's like the 4010/4110, and my 4115, but unfortunately, I don't have any pics right now to show you.

This is the top side of a mulch kit from Deere for their 54C deck. The side that fits against the bottom of the deck. Notice the small bolts (that are permanently attached to the baffle) and wingnuts that fit through matching holes in the deck top, and hold the kit in place. It takes only about 2 minutes to install and remove, and can be done while the mower deck is still in place under the tractor.-

http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj456/Gun4Fun/Tractor%20pics/100_1156.jpg

This is the side that actually faces the ground when installed with the mower deck in the upright position. You can clearly see where it forms complete circles arouns each blade-

http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj456/Gun4Fun/Tractor%20pics/100_1157.jpg

Ijustwantausername
11-01-2011, 12:54 PM
Ahh, now I see how that works. Thanks for the picture!

weeze
11-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Thanks, yeah I just figured you could cover up the discharge chute and that would do the trick. At least that's what it looked like on the "mulch on demand" ad for John Deere. I guess that was with the mulch kit under the deck.

the mulch on demand also has baffles under the deck that move into place and make a complete circle chamber for each blade....a mulch kit is something different but does the same thing....the mulch kit has to be installed but the mulch on demand is part of the mower deck and all it takes is just the push of a lever to go from side discharging to mulching and a pull on the lever and it goes back to side discharging.

http://www.deere.com/media/player/player_en_us.html?src=s/flash/deerecompany/cce/commercial/11_mulchondemand/mod_031910_h.flv&lowsrc=s/flash/deerecompany/cce/commercial/11_mulchondemand/mod_031910_m.flv&autostart=true

Ridin' Green
11-01-2011, 02:31 PM
the mulch on demand also has baffles under the deck that move into place and make a complete circle chamber for each blade....a mulch kit is something different but does the same thing....the mulch kit has to be installed but the mulch on demand is part of the mower deck and all it takes is just the push of a lever to go from side discharging to mulching and a pull on the lever and it goes back to side discharging.

http://www.deere.com/media/player/player_en_us.html?src=s/flash/deerecompany/cce/commercial/11_mulchondemand/mod_031910_h.flv&lowsrc=s/flash/deerecompany/cce/commercial/11_mulchondemand/mod_031910_m.flv&autostart=true

Jason, that's not quite right. The MOD baffles don't form a complete circle. There is a large enough gap left that much of the clippings get blown over to the chute blockoff gate where they drop down and form a windrow, and/or blow out around the gate.

I had a Z960 demo on loan while my mower was getting the new engine installed. It had the 60" MOD deck, so I got some good firsthand experience with one on both grass and leaves.

It's better than nothing, but not as good by a long stretch as a true mulch kit is at chopping grass or leaves. IMO, far too much stuff gets blown out around the gate (which is partly the fault of them coming with high lift blades that cause the blowout), and a lot of it comes up through the slot in the top of the deck where the gate control rod first goes down through the deck (which is about 4-5" long X 1/2" wide), which is right in front of the right side blade. You still need to blow off sidewalks, and plenty of clippings get blown into flower beds if you take off more than an inch or two at a time. I had leaf clippings constantly coming up towards my face through the gate rod gap. Even the dealer made a point of mentioning that to me before I ever ran it.

weeze
11-02-2011, 01:23 PM
lol...you will find something wrong with anything....ok maybe i wasn't totally correct...i was just speaking from a general point of view...but ok man...you are right...they don't make a 100% complete circle around the blades...i doubt the mulch kit does either but i dunno since i've never used one.....i don't have the mod deck but it does show in the video that it's not a complete 100% circle as well as it shows there is some blowout on sidewalks and so forth......i was just trying to show the guy that the mod deck was more than just a block off plate....that was the point of my post......but i have no use for mod deck or the mulch kit....i side discharge only...i like to keep things simple and not be changing things around or using different types of blades and so forth...this is how i handle leaves...i go forwards around the yard blowing/chopping the leaves towards the middle of the yard then when i have most of them in the middle i go forwards and backwards blowing/chopping the leaves in one direction and then i turn around and do the same thing in the other direction....by this time the leaves have disappeared and are all chopped up. :)

weeze
11-02-2011, 01:50 PM
i just watched the video again...even the bagger throws a few clippings out of the back of it lol....i don't think anything is done 100%....that's just not how things work in life....nothing is perfect.

Ridin' Green
11-02-2011, 05:22 PM
lol...you will find something wrong with anything....ok maybe i wasn't totally correct...i was just speaking from a general point of view...but ok man...you are right...they don't make a 100% complete circle around the blades...i doubt the mulch kit does either but i dunno since i've never used one.....i don't have the mod deck but it does show in the video that it's not a complete 100% circle as well as it shows there is some blowout on sidewalks and so forth......i was just trying to show the guy that the mod deck was more than just a block off plate....that was the point of my post......but i have no use for mod deck or the mulch kit....i side discharge only...i like to keep things simple and not be changing things around or using different types of blades and so forth...this is how i handle leaves...i go forwards around the yard blowing/chopping the leaves towards the middle of the yard then when i have most of them in the middle i go forwards and backwards blowing/chopping the leaves in one direction and then i turn around and do the same thing in the other direction....by this time the leaves have disappeared and are all chopped up. :)

I've done the mow and blow towards the middle, but up here too much driving around on the lawn really stresses the lawn just before going dormant for the winter. Lots of homeowners aren't too pleased with that.

Also, we have a ton of oaks here, and oak leaves are very acidic and bad for a lawn. Some know this and won't allow mulching, some could care less since they don't know that, and some just plain don't care, but the last type of customer is one I don't want anyway because they usually have a half bare lawn in the first place.

As far as forming a complete circle, the steel Deere kits that I have had totally blocked off each blade, but the plastic one in the pic above (in tandem with the back half of the deck which is circular) forms a perfect circle around each blade.

Also, in that video, right at the point the guy is saying how the mod deck keeps clippings out of the flower beds, the guy on the mower turns to his left right next to one. If you watch right at the same moment the speaker is talking about keeping beds free of debris, a bunch of grass clippings comes out and goes into the bed LOL

weeze
11-02-2011, 09:09 PM
that video is kindof dumb in a few ways...i never aim the discharge towards the flower beds or the sidewalks and such if possible which it usually is 99% of the time...that's the best way to avoid getting clippings in or on them lol....it cracks me up watching that guy mow next to the curb blowing grass into the parking lot...i'm like why don't you just go the other direction and blow the clippings into the grass?

Ridin' Green
11-02-2011, 09:17 PM
They're trying to demonstrate the usefulness of the MOD, but that little video sure ain't gettin' it done is it? :laugh:

weeze
11-02-2011, 09:26 PM
no it isn't...that's why i didn't get the mod deck when i bought my mower...$1000 more but i couldn't really see the usefulness of it...at least on the yards i cut...maybe if you lived in a big city with alot of sidewalks and such it would come in handy but even then i would think just mulching all the time would be better....maybe someone that has a mixture of types of yards would find it useful.

dutchacres
11-02-2011, 10:01 PM
I have a MOD deck it takes some getting used to. I used to run just mulching kits but those suck in spring when the grass is growing like crazy. They are not for everyone but it is the perfect mower for me. I have a variety of properties where a mulching kit is the only way I would mow to but then I have some large factories where it is wide open areas and side discharging is the only way. I would never own just a side discharge machine ever again as there is just to much risk for throwing something and as sue happy as people are that is one less thing I have to worry about.
Posted via Mobile Device

Meg-Mo
11-02-2011, 10:11 PM
With the Meg Mo blades and the advance chute system sold by Bad Boy mowers you have the best of two wolders you can mulch in seconds and mow and still be able to close deck when you want or need to.

mnglocker
11-02-2011, 10:27 PM
Meg-Mo,
Are you a sponsor or a troll?

With the deaf ears and apparent lack of any knowledge on how a mower deck works; I call into question your knowledge on building a working blade design and I will not be purchasing a set of Meg-Mo blades ever because of the kind of responses I'm seeing.

Ridin' Green
11-03-2011, 01:35 AM
I have a MOD deck it takes some getting used to. I used to run just mulching kits but those suck in spring when the grass is growing like crazy. They are not for everyone but it is the perfect mower for me. I have a variety of properties where a mulching kit is the only way I would mow to but then I have some large factories where it is wide open areas and side discharging is the only way. I would never own just a side discharge machine ever again as there is just to much risk for throwing something and as sue happy as people are that is one less thing I have to worry about.
Posted via Mobile Device

I was just having some fun with Jason over Deere's lame video, but I have to say that I have mixed feelings on the MOD myself. I used it for a while, and it seemed to cut great while side discharging, but I did get a lot of blow back on me from the slit in the deck top for the gate rod, around the front skirt, and far too much debris came out around the gate IMO. I believe they could remedy that by changing the gate design slightly though. Also, due to the way the gates underneath are shaped and the design necessary of the front baffle, I have to wonder how clean it would stay in lush, and/or wet spring conditions here in the north when compared to the std 7 Iron. I did like being able to mulch leaves and such with it, but it took several passes to get them to disappear compared to my full on mulching kits I have now, or the one pictured above. You are also right about the true mulch kits not being ideal for springtime growth. They end up clumping more the mulching when grass is growing fast, or is damp, but I mentioned them because the OP asked about turning his 7 Iron into a leaf mulcher in his title.

I understand your situation however, and I can see how the MOD would most likely be the best option for your properties due to your concerns. There are far too many lawyers just waiting in the wings for someone with a sob story to come along that wants to sue.