PDA

View Full Version : Any Beach Boys fans out there?

Mike Leary
10-30-2011, 08:43 PM
On Tuesday, the long thought "most famous unfinished album in rock & roll history", "Smile" will be released on a multiple cd collection. It's been 45 years, and when I was in LA at RCA, Harry Nilsson and I heard some of the tracks, and we would have given both our left nuts to have been on some of those sessions, but they remained hidden away, with only glimpses on other albums of the crazed genius of Brian Wilson. I can't wait :clapping:

Wet_Boots
10-30-2011, 08:55 PM
I thought some of that stuff had been destroyed by Wilson.

Ever see the cartoons on Icebox lampooning the Wilsons' Father?

Mike Leary
10-30-2011, 09:20 PM
I thought some of that stuff had been destroyed by Wilson.

Ever see the cartoons on Icebox lampooning the Wilsons' Father?

If you were an engineer, among genius, as I did with all the greats I worked with, you lied about destroying anything and put it into the studio's files, or kept it for yourself. A lot of that stuff was too important to be erased, thank gawwd.

Murray Wilson, with his slimeball financial dealings, was the worst thing to happen to the Beach Boys; it crushed everyone involved, especially Brian.

MAD whacker
10-30-2011, 09:33 PM
On Tuesday, the long thought "most famous unfinished album in rock & roll history", "Smile" will be released on a multiple cd collection. It's been 45 years, and when I was in LA at RCA, Harry Nilsson and I heard some of the tracks, and we would have given both our left nuts to have been on some of those sessions, but they remained hidden away, with only glimpses on other albums of the crazed genius of Brian Wilson. I can't wait :clapping:

thats kick @$$ man. i like the beach boys and i remember being like 5-6 yo with my dad at car shows and drive ins and the eagles and beach boys all ways take me back in time to those days...

Mike Leary
10-30-2011, 09:45 PM
thats kick @$$ man. i like the beach boys and i remember being like 5-6 yo with my dad at car shows and drive ins and the eagles and beach boys all ways take me back in time to those days...

Buy the cd, I just heard some of it online, it defines that era.

Wet_Boots
10-30-2011, 09:47 PM
I always thought "Good Vibrations" was a pop magnum opus

Mike Leary
10-30-2011, 09:59 PM
I always thought "Good Vibrations" was a pop magnum opus

Turning that sucker up still get's me excited. It's on "Smile" , along with "Heroes and Villains". Harry once told me Brian called "Smile" his "Teenage symphony to God".

irrig8r
10-30-2011, 10:16 PM
A high school classmate was in a more recent Beach Boys lineup for a few years and last I heard was working as Brian Wilson's musical director. Dream job for him I think. He was in a surf rock cover band in school long after most of us had moved on to other music.

I did catch the Beach Boys once though at a Day On The Green show in Oakland with the Grateful Dead, New Riders and Commander Cody. Great show.

Mike Leary
10-30-2011, 10:24 PM
I did catch the Beach Boys once though at a Day On The Green show in Oakland with the Grateful Dead, New Riders and Commander Cody. Great show.

I would say you hit the pick of the litter that day.

BrandonV
10-31-2011, 09:26 PM
love me some beach boys.

DanaMac
10-31-2011, 09:30 PM
love me some beach boys.

Love me some hot beach girls myself :)

Mike Leary
10-31-2011, 09:31 PM
Tomorrow it shows up; Juke Joint here in Flagstaff assures me it will be arriving, and I've already reserved a copy. Rock on.