PDA

View Full Version : Dump Trailers

mathews
10-31-2011, 10:15 AM
Been looking at buying a dump trailer, but the more i look at them and the cost.... The more i wonder if someone can even justify the cost of owning one? Most of our jobs are $2000- $10000 "softscaping" jobs. Normally we have been getting mulch delivered and it is figured in our bids. Not sure if us owning one and paying one of the guys at 12/hr to go get it is efficient? Just asking for a couple of opinions

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
10-31-2011, 10:33 AM
Do you own a dump truck?
We find running the dump trailer with the dump truck doing edging and mulching is a big benefit as we only have to move materials once. Also we use it for transport of the skidsteer. So it is multi purpose for us. Also the low load height often makes it a better choice for logs. Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

mathews
10-31-2011, 10:41 AM
No sir do not own a dump truck. But we do own a dingo that the trailer would also double as an equipment trailer for it and a couple pallets of sod also. I would b pulling the trailer with our ford 450 so truck really isnt an issue. But i also know that i could buy a cheaper gooseneck trailer that would work jus as well hauling dingo and sod for less money

PerfectEarth
10-31-2011, 10:47 AM
I have an f550 with a nice Bri-Mar dump trailer. It's the best set-up. Super efficient. Like you I also have a Dingo. Working out of the dump trailer is so nice- sits lower, can tilt it up to shovel out mulch, Dingo can dump over the side...

Buy a dump trailer. Trust me.

KrayzKajun
10-31-2011, 10:57 AM
What size dump trailer are you looking at? gooseneck or bumper pull?

Darryl G
10-31-2011, 11:22 AM
I have a Bri-Mar 7x12 low profile trailer. I love it and it's the only thing I have that dumps. Does double duty as the tractor hauler and hauls the Z rider for fall cleanups too...ground up leaves in front and mower in back. The low loading height is a real plus for me since I work solo most of the time....I can lift pretty heavy stuff up to my knees (trailer height). I have the pull-out equpment ramps which I will use to slide heavy stuff into the dump bed too. The only problem is the amount of room needed to manuever it ....can't always put the front end of the truck where I'd need to...not the rig you want if you need to get materials into back yards a lot. I also like that I can haul 3.5 tons/8 yards with my Silverado 2500HD. I'd need a pretty good sized dump truck to get that kind of load capacity. Another plus is that I used to sub out brush chipping on jobs where I generated a lot of it. I can get a LOT of brush on that trailer if I break it down a bit so now I keep that revenue in-house.

FYI, I do mostly maintenance and softscape. If I did more hardscape I'd probably want a dump truck.

mathews
11-01-2011, 09:21 AM
Tkanks guys. KrazyKajun i would prefer a gooseneck with 24"-36" sides simply so that the dingo could dump over the sides and not just into the back

DIXIECONTRACTING
11-01-2011, 10:49 AM
I also own a Dingo and bought a dump trailer about 6 years ago and it was one of the best investments I made.

Reasons for a dump trailer:
1 Do not need insurance
2 Low maintenance ( tires only )
3 Can be left on a job for employees to use while I go to another job or to pick up additional materials
4 use as equipment trailer and a dump trailer

All and all it has been a huge money saver for me but sometimes a dump truck would be nice but not enough for me to purchase one I will keep my trailer for now.

7x14 PJ 14,000# paid just under $6000 new

Darryl G
11-01-2011, 11:07 AM
My insurance agent said that I DO need insurance on my dump trailer, so I have it.

DIXIECONTRACTING
11-01-2011, 11:12 AM
Sounds like he might be double dipping but my truck insurance covers any trailer that I might be towing such as my boat my dump trailer or my neighbors camper.

Darryl G
11-01-2011, 12:14 PM
I forget the details, but I think my truck policy would cover any liability relating from my trailer but not damage to the trailer itself. In any case, I would suggest checking with your agent to be sure as different policies have different exclusions.

mathews
11-01-2011, 10:36 PM
Well to be honest insurance (trailer specific) i havent considered. Which either way would not make or break my decision, and jus for anyone wanting to be negative we have work comp, 1,000,000 liab, etc. Anyways my main concern is the approx $8000 price tag which isnt that big of a deal EXCEPT... My concern is most of our bulk material ie. landscape mix, mulch, rock we have delivered and figured into the estimate. Now, my ? is does it pay off to pay a laborer to go get that material instead of have delivered? I could use those hands getting old beds ripped out n and getting beds prepped while dirt contractor is delivering... But i also have to realize for smaller jobs i know it would be benificial. Guess im just wanting other lcos 2cents. I know there are negatives and positives, jus wondering if its more of a want than a need!?

Darryl G
11-01-2011, 11:01 PM
I did a job today,would have been $75 to deliver the crushed stone. Went and got it myself with the dump trailer in 3/4 hour and billed the $75 and kept the revenue inhouse. Now if it was 10 tons instead of 3 I would have had it delivered.

What do you usually do for waste hauling? I think someone else mentioned you can leave it onsite for use as a dumpster essentially.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
11-01-2011, 11:33 PM
In mass. The trailer is covered by the towing vehicles insurance. As far as the want compared to the need for the dump trailer I guess it would be my opinion that if I didn't have dump trucks that I would need a dump trailer. But since I do having a dump trailer is a luxury but as stated earlier I do think that if you multi purpose that trailer that it can be an asset. Good luck with your decision.
Posted via Mobile Device

Isobel
11-08-2011, 11:39 PM
We run an F350 with a 6x10 4 ton Bri-Mar dump trailer. Paid about 4300 for it, and have had it for 3 years now. I love it, the crew loves it. We can haul alot with it, its nice to have a something that we can leave on a job site with a crew, and have the truck out servicing another jobsite.

I'd love to get another larger dump trailer at some point.

zak406
11-17-2011, 12:26 PM
my plan is to get a dump trailer for myself as soon as possible, that way I can still ahve a personal truck!

Summit L & D
11-25-2011, 09:44 PM
Get a dump trailer. You'll never regret that purchase. It will make your life so much easier.

Regarding insurance. If you have a private (individual) policy, the tow vehicles insurance will cover the trailer...if it's not being used commercially. If you have commercial insurance on your truck (which is most often cheaper than an Individual policy), that insurance will only cover the truck. With commercial insurance, everything needs a policy. In the event that the trailer became separated from the tow vehicle and caused damage you would be liable - if you didn't have a policy on the trailer.