PDA

View Full Version : Apple IPhone 4s users?

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-31-2011, 03:36 PM
Seeing the commercials on the search features through voice recognition have my a little curious.
Interesting story here on how that could be a google killer.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericjackson/2011/10/28/why-siri-is-a-google-killer/

Be curious to hear how well it works for you.

JimmyTheGlove
10-31-2011, 04:04 PM
Siri is great; I don't know about it being a "Google Killer" though. Siri's algorithm is decades behind Google. Smart move by Apple though, by buying Siri.

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
10-31-2011, 05:33 PM
It works pretty well. I don't use it much, mainly becasue I'd feel like an ass walking around asking my phone questions.

Mark B
10-31-2011, 07:03 PM
I like it.. I use it to help remind me when to change my bait..
Posted via Mobile Device

Mike Leary
10-31-2011, 07:20 PM
Interesting thread, since I just dropped my Verizon phone in the dog dish. :cry: What would you tech-types suggest?

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-31-2011, 08:12 PM
Go IPhone 4s Mike.

I cracked the screen on my droid so I'm using it until March when my contract is up and resign with an IPhone in mind.

Mike Leary
10-31-2011, 08:40 PM
Go IPhone 4s Mike.

Since we use the MacBook for internet on the road, is it worth having a IPhone? What does it do that would justify the upfront cost and monthly for a lowlife like myself?

BrandonV
10-31-2011, 09:01 PM
No offense mike but you older gents are better off with the bigger buttons etc of a laptop or ipad. My poor father has the darnest time doing thngs on his iphone, holding it at arms length in order to see :-)

That said the 4s is great! Awesome camera (+1 for mike) and the voice recognition/ automation is great. I love making appointments with it, tell it to make a meeting with said person and if theyre in your contact list it'll send them an email request and out it on your calander, you can also change said meeting later and itll update them.

Siri is new and it will surely get even better. Location based reminders are also great for someone like me, i tend to forget things... Eaisly distracted by shiny objects.

BrandonV
10-31-2011, 09:11 PM
Oh by the way guys...
http://tomscreek.com/Toms_Creek_Nursery_&_Landscaping/CNH.html

Thanks for voting for me all those months a ago!

DanaMac
10-31-2011, 09:12 PM
Since we use the MacBook for internet on the road, is it worth having a IPhone? What does it do that would justify the upfront cost and monthly for a lowlife like myself?

Next thing you know, you'll be using a scheduling and invoice program, or *gasp* some design software!!! :laugh:

BrandonV
10-31-2011, 09:13 PM
Scheduling the camper from site to site.

DanaMac
10-31-2011, 09:14 PM
Oh by the way guys...

Rock on Brandon!!! Great job.

Mike Leary
10-31-2011, 09:53 PM
Well done, Brandon, you deserved it!

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-31-2011, 10:09 PM
Yeah Brandon.....you're only 29?
Posted via Mobile Device

Autoflow
11-01-2011, 12:28 AM
Oh by the way guys...

Well done mate!

How do you guys go with the phones when working?
I want to get an iphone but I'm scared I will crack the screen or damage it some other way when working.
Which is the best cover you recommend to protect it?

I just use cheapy phones because they only last 6 months at the most.

BrandonV
11-01-2011, 06:35 AM
Buy an otterbox case and you'll be fine. Yes I'm 29, but remember I was grown into the business through the family.
Posted via Mobile Device

DanaMac
11-01-2011, 07:26 AM
Buy an otterbox case and you'll be fine.

Yup. I have both the Defender and Commuter series for my Droid. I prefer the Defender series. I do scratch the cover for the screen because I occasionally put the phone and keys in the same pocket, but I just bought 6 screen covers for about $1.50 on Amazon. I've dropped it many times and it keep on ticking.

Sprinkus
11-01-2011, 08:21 AM
Oh by the way guys...

Congratulations!
You now owe each of us $500 :laugh:

Greg78
11-01-2011, 08:25 AM
Broke 2 otterbox cases in 3 months. I now have a Lifeproof case. Completely waterproof. I have dropped my Iphone several times with the new case and all is well. The best part is the LP is dust proof, I was having to clean out my otterbox several times a week.

http://www.lifeproof.com/

DanaMac
11-01-2011, 08:30 AM
Never heard of the LifeProof boxes, but they look like they are iphone only, not droid ready.
What broke on your Otter? Did the case split or crack? Mine have been awesome. Even dropped in a water filled valve box, but it was a quick drop and immediate grab out of the water. All was fine.

FIMCO-MEISTER
11-01-2011, 09:11 AM
Buy an otterbox case and you'll be fine. Yes I'm 29, but remember I was grown into the business through the family.
Posted via Mobile Device

I wasn't referring to your experience. I was referring to the perception you come across as more mature than most of us here.
Never seen you snipe or get into a brouhaha with anybody. I guess that's why you won the skid steer.

FIMCO-MEISTER
11-01-2011, 09:12 AM
IPhone 4s owner I have a request.
Ask your phone I need remote pigtails for my Rain Master Promax and tell me what comes up.

Greg78
11-01-2011, 09:13 AM
The first Otterbox the belt clip broke from a drop. The second the outer housing cracked and then broke when I was taking the phone out. I believe that they only case LP makes right now is for the Iphone 4 & 4S.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kiril
11-01-2011, 11:46 AM
Since we use the MacBook for internet on the road, is it worth having a IPhone?

No. A phone is a phone .... get a phone with the cheapest plan possible ... like a go phone.

Kiril
11-01-2011, 11:50 AM
Well done mate!

How do you guys go with the phones when working?
I want to get an iphone but I'm scared I will crack the screen or damage it some other way when working.
Which is the best cover you recommend to protect it?

I just use cheapy phones because they only last 6 months at the most.

Samsung rugby II.

JimmyTheGlove
11-01-2011, 12:04 PM

You might find some of the apps to be handy but like someone else mentioned, if you're in it for the apps, get the iPad. As for a phone you're better off with something simple like a Nokia or something like that. They're cheap and reliable. I put my Nokia through hell and back and it keeps on tickin. :weightlifter:

Mike Leary
11-01-2011, 12:17 PM
As for a phone you're better off with something simple like a Nokia or something like that. They're cheap and reliable. I put my Nokia through hell and back and it keeps on tickin. :weightlifter:

We've had Nokia phones and they are bullet-proof. Seems like every time you switch phones over, the ones you liked are no longer available. I'd rather have a multiple root canal than go into a Verizon store, so I'll see what I can find online. Thanks for the suggestion about "Go" phones, Kiril.

FIMCO-MEISTER
11-01-2011, 01:14 PM
A good reason to have a smart phone is if you like to get your emails immediately. If you already have a verizon doo dad for your laptop then a smart phone may not be necessary. I rarely make phone calls and I almost never make phone calls to chit chat. I find email and text messaging way more productive.

BrandonV
11-01-2011, 05:55 PM
Broke 2 otterbox cases in 3 months. I now have a Lifeproof case. Completely waterproof. I have dropped my Iphone several times with the new case and all is well. The best part is the LP is dust proof, I was having to clean out my otterbox several times a week.

http://www.lifeproof.com/

how do you hear out of the lifeproof case? is bluetooth a must?

BrandonV
11-01-2011, 05:56 PM
I wasn't referring to your experience. I was referring to the perception you come across as more mature than most of us here.
Never seen you snipe or get into a brouhaha with anybody. I guess that's why you won the skid steer.

I'm a little guy, only 6' 235# so I try not to pick fights with you guys, y'all sound massive sometimes.:dancing:

Greg78
11-01-2011, 06:06 PM
how do you hear out of the lifeproof case? is bluetooth a must?

Not sure how it works. Bluetooth is not needed. I thought the calls on my Iphone actually sounded better with the Lifeproof case. Some of the earlier cases had problems with an echo but that was taken care of rather quickly.

Wet_Boots
11-01-2011, 06:09 PM
I'm a little guy, only 6' 235# so I try not to pick fights with you guys, y'all sound massive sometimes.:dancing:very massive

_ubgv0-Nk7o

Mike Leary
11-01-2011, 07:16 PM
very massive

Sony made a turntable in '69? :dizzy:

Wet_Boots
11-01-2011, 07:29 PM
Mister Apollo doesn't need a turntable - he spins the entire house with his little finger

Bigred350
11-01-2011, 09:17 PM
I have a ballistic case for my Iphone. I like it alot. I have friends with the otter box and I think the Ballistic is 10x as tough!

http://www.goballisticcase.com/

Jobber
11-03-2011, 01:46 PM
I have a ballistic case for my Iphone. I like it alot. I have friends with the otter box and I think the Ballistic is 10x as tough!

http://www.goballisticcase.com/

I wrote up a review of a few of the most hardcore iPhone cases for on-site service businesses. I came up with the Griffin Survivor as the best option. Keep an eye on our blog, the post should be up in a couple days! blog.getjobber.com

CAPT Stream Rotar
11-03-2011, 07:16 PM
4s jailbreak is coming out soon...

free mywi