PDA

View Full Version : Shutting down operations Oct 31st?

David Haggerty
11-01-2011, 08:00 AM
This season I shut down mowing a little earlier. I mowed everyone just before servicing & storing the equipment. My son said he'd pitch in and service the few customers that have any leaves.

Anybody else stopping mowing this early?

JDiepstra
11-01-2011, 08:05 AM
Supposed to be 60* today. Grass still growing. Trees full of leaves. Lots of work to do!

jsslawncare
11-01-2011, 09:18 AM
Since no one really wants me to do leaves I think next week will be it for me. Waiting on spring '12.

bmw5085
11-02-2011, 04:50 PM
in eastern pa we usually finish end of oct- early nov. this year the leaves stayed on trees longer and it also randomly snowed last week so we are waiting to see what to do because it has never snowed like this before we extended the season with leaf clean up. were going to have to call customers and see if they would like us to do the leaves once the ground dries out or not. Crazy situation ive never been in before but im sure will work out. Im not shutting down and servicing equipment until i know 100% season is over.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
11-02-2011, 05:22 PM
We stop mowing last week of oct. Special projects and equipment shakedowns until cleanups start.
Posted via Mobile Device

Glenn Lawn Care
11-02-2011, 05:37 PM
I'm done mowing for the season and I started doing fall clean ups.
Posted via Mobile Device

GMLC
11-02-2011, 06:08 PM
Stopped mowing last week. If this snow melts I hope to get my fall clean ups done!

jfoxtrot9
11-02-2011, 10:05 PM
This season I shut down mowing a little earlier. I mowed everyone just before servicing & storing the equipment. My son said he'd pitch in and service the few customers that have any leaves.

Anybody else stopping mowing this early?

Joking, right?

David Haggerty
11-03-2011, 07:56 AM
Joking, right?

Nooo....But I am a little nervous about it. I figured if I cut them all just before Halloween they wouldn't grow that much more. Stay green maybe.
Why? what are you thinking? Are you north of the bluegrass belt? I know you're up in the snowbelt.

scotts lawn care
11-03-2011, 09:35 AM
did my last leaf cleanup yesterday, started cleaning today to get ready to put all my equipment away for the winter. im getting my plow prepped on monday. let it snow!

rywnygc
11-04-2011, 09:38 AM
I will be finished mowing tomorrow. Right now I'm waiting for the frost to melt. For the past week I have mowed some, but mostly doing gutters, leaves and fall cleanups. My seasonal contracts ended on Oct. 31, but we have had some warmer days and I had to do an extra week. If we have another warm up, I may do one more week of mowing, but I doubt that I will have to. Im ready to service equipment and store it. The trucks are pretty much ready for the snow to fly.

bobcat48
11-04-2011, 03:05 PM
Not yet,i'm still mowing and doing cleanups and most of the leaves dropped out by me.

LawnScapers of Dayton
11-04-2011, 08:12 PM
Still mowing here and doing massive leaf cleanup......... grass growing but slower........I will be doing cleanups until the first week of December if weather allows.... Lots of dollars out there in leaves....

nathanj21
11-06-2011, 11:43 AM
Grass still growing. One more week.

THIESSENS TLC
11-06-2011, 03:53 PM
Finished up 2 weeks ago! Now I'm just waiting for the snow to start flyin. Time to catch up on :sleeping: for now!

Gilmore.Landscaping
11-06-2011, 04:16 PM
Finished up 2 weeks ago! Now I'm just waiting for the snow to start flyin. Time to catch up on :sleeping: for now!

How is everyone done.... still lots of leaves to clean up, and i cut my own lawn again today and its still growing. I figure Nov. 15 is last cut/clean up. (Based my decision of what most commercial accounts go by around here anyway)

THIESSENS TLC
11-06-2011, 05:07 PM
Well, lots of people are done because the grass stopped growin! Depends on where your located!
Posted via Mobile Device

Total Lawn and Sprinkler
11-07-2011, 12:08 PM
I agree with other posters. This is fall clean up time. I also like to be prepared for severe storms and the necessary clean up after. Winter revenue potential.

David Haggerty
11-11-2011, 06:42 AM
Thanks everybody for your replies. It's like I figured, the season stops about halloween. Even this forum has slowed to a crawl.

LawnScapers of Dayton
11-11-2011, 07:00 AM
Did leaves In a snow squall yesterday......
Posted via Mobile Device

bobcat48
11-11-2011, 06:06 PM
^Same man i had a cleanup i was doing in he afternoon of yesterday and it was pretty bad it ws just like blowing flurries nothing to bad mowed all day today and now i am:sleeping:

David Haggerty
11-13-2011, 07:41 AM
OK, I guess I wasn't quite done. I was on my way to Miami FL to buy a kayak. My phone rings. A customer wants some cleanup before some visitors arrive. Trying to sound real business like I assure them it would be taken care of. Called my son back in Ohio who had agreed to cover my absence. He said he'd do it. He thinks he can get a 36" WB in his van. I don't think so.
I might worry about it, but I'm going kayak/camping in the thousand islands in SW Florida. Got to worry about packing and gators and stuff like that.

Total Lawn and Sprinkler
11-13-2011, 05:43 PM
^ Nice. Enjoy the trip. What type of van are we talking about?

David Haggerty
11-14-2011, 08:27 AM
^ Nice. Enjoy the trip. What type of van are we talking about?

Dodge, not the full size, the next size down. With the rear door that lifts up from the bottom. It'll fit by taking out the seats, but the handlebars of the WB are too tall. So he'll have to prop up the front of the WB for the handlebars to fit in. It's going to be a chore to wrestle that big WB inside a van. Probably as much work as the cleanup.

Darryl G
11-14-2011, 09:03 AM
I've still got a lot of cleanups to do now that the Oak trees have finially started dropping. Gotta go get loaded up in fact...daylight is burning.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
11-14-2011, 09:54 PM
Darryl, 9:03 post! You already lost 2 hours of cleanups. Get to work would ya. We are still waiting for leaves to drop here so I can talk tuff. Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

JDiepstra
11-14-2011, 10:02 PM
Man this is ridiculous. Still tons of leaves on the trees here. Gonna be a messy Spring unless the snow really holds off.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
11-14-2011, 10:12 PM
We are hoping to start picking and choosing next week if its possible but im not sure right now there are way to many clinging.
Posted via Mobile Device

rywnygc
11-15-2011, 07:53 AM
We had a storm last night that dropped tornadoes a little south of us. Here it was a lot of strong wind and heavy rain with some thunder mixed in. HOPEFULLY all the leaves are down now. I am heading out in about 10 minutes to finish up a few of my north properties. Its starting to piss me off a little, I should have all of my equipment cleaned up and stored by now.

Total Lawn and Sprinkler
11-18-2011, 01:36 PM
This business is unpredictable to say the least. Makes vacation planning a challenge.

bmw5085
11-18-2011, 01:57 PM
We have actually been doing good.. this season in eastern pa is totally different then I've ever seen.. this is the latest we have ever did leaf clean up.. I'm not complaigning tho.. I thought the season may have been over when we got snow a couple weeks ago..
Posted via Mobile Device