PDA

View Full Version : Can I Call Myself a Landscaper Now?

Darryl G
11-01-2011, 05:49 PM
Little temporary driveway repair I did today. The tree had uprooted during Hurricane Irene and ripped up the driveway. They plan to get it repaved at some point but just wanted it serviceable again. I went back and forth in my head on whether to bring my JD 855 T/L/B out but decided to just do it by hand. The material is 3/4 inch process traprock. This is the customer's summer cottage so I took pictures in progress and a final one to support my invoice. The pictures with the tamper in them indicate I had just compacted a level.

So am I a bonafide landscaper now? lol

JB1
11-01-2011, 07:30 PM
i believe you are now qualified, now you can tell others on here how wrong they are whatever they are doing. and fit right in.

Darryl G
11-01-2011, 07:48 PM
LOL, actually I have quite a bit of experience spreading process stone but usually use the tractor. I like this stuff better than the granite material. I have a long crushed stone driveway myself, actually 2 of them, but someone else maintains my back one. I used to do crushed stone driveway repairs/resurfacing but got tired of people not liking whatever stone I put down (even if they went to the yard and picked it out theselves) and expecting me to fix potholes and washouts forever for free after I did the job...its like once you touch it you own it.

JimLewis
11-10-2011, 09:36 PM
No. You cannot call yourself a landscaper.

What you need to do, Darryl, is go home and sit in time-out until you realize what you've done. I'll let you know when you can come out and also when you can call yourself a landscaper.

Now go! :walking:

:laugh:

Darryl G
11-10-2011, 09:55 PM
No. You cannot call yourself a landscaper.

What you need to do, Darryl, is go home and sit in time-out until you realize what you've done. I'll let you know when you can come out and also when you can call yourself a landscaper.

Now go! :walking:

:laugh:

Sniff..........:cry:

Actually got a check and note from the customer. "Thank you. Looks great!"

I would like to check it some time and make sure it drains properly. I eyeballed it the best I could but it might need a little adjusting. This is the first time we've gotten a soaking rain since I did the "install" so maybe I'll check it tomorrow.

ed2hess
11-12-2011, 08:17 PM
So where do they live in the winter? What would you guess the cost of that home is?

Darryl G
11-12-2011, 08:35 PM
They live a little inland in CT. The town has it appraised at $438K. 1,355 sq foot on 0.15 acres built in 1900. The value is high because it's near the town beach.

TLS
11-13-2011, 12:20 PM
Boy, and all along I was thinking that all you had to do is mow grass to call yourself a LANDSCAPER!!!

Darryl G
11-13-2011, 03:39 PM
Well to be honest, I don't do a lot of "landscaping" and do very little hardscaping. Hardscaping is labor intensive I just don't have the labor to get it done in a timely manner, not to mention lacking in some of the skills required. But it does seem that everybody and their brother call themselves landscapers when all they do is cut grass and do dump runs.

TLS
11-16-2011, 12:32 PM
Darryl,

I'm glad you "got" my jab.

It's a common occurrence around here.

Laid off workers with severance buy big buck equipment and are instant "LANDSCAPERS".

I've been doing this since the early 80's and can probably count on both hands projects I've done that could be considered "Landscaping". Being fair though, I don't mulch much more than my home. I concentrate on mowing and lawn treatments.

The hardscaping aspect does intrigue me. For about 3 years I was drafting up proposals for a good friend that was into hardscaping. Worked a few weeks for him during a long summer drought about 10 years ago as well. Landscaping is one thing....hardscaping is totally different. Still the equipment required to do either at a respectable level is a detriment to most.

Patriot Services
11-16-2011, 12:56 PM
Darryl~ wrong, wrong , wrong all wrong! You should have let a real rock shoveler, raker , scraper do it. Wherever it is that I once was, lawnboys tried to scape things. Your failure to completely excavate, eradicate and irriate the surround superficial, subsonic stratatanium will ultimately consume the nearby orphanage, nursing home and bunny farm. You really should have known better.

This post brought to you by Ambien, Starbucks and Nyquil.
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
11-16-2011, 02:32 PM
Darryl~ wrong, wrong , wrong all wrong! You should have let a real rock shoveler, raker , scraper do it. Wherever it is that I once was, lawnboys tried to scape things. Your failure to completely excavate, eradicate and irriate the surround superficial, subsonic stratatanium will ultimately consume the nearby orphanage, nursing home and bunny farm. You really should have known better.

This post brought to you by Ambien, Starbucks and Nyquil.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sounds like you might want to ad Lithium to that mix of meds, lol.

Patriot Services
11-16-2011, 02:40 PM
Posted in homage to TS who seems to be MIA.
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
12-06-2011, 05:24 PM
Yup, my experience too...your English is a little rough but I understand. There is no perfect driveway gravel/stone...some look better, some pack better, so grow more weeds, some resist washouts better, some give off more dust. They all require maintenance and that isn't included in the price of the installation. If I graded it wrong and there's a spot holding water, that's my fault and I'll fix it.

The last area I did on my property I used a base of 3/4 inch process granite and topped it with a thin layer of 3/8 inch clean granite (pea gravel). It looks nice and it stays in place nicely. The only problem is that you can't help but disturb pea gravel when you plow it because it freezes to the snow.

DaveyBlue32
01-13-2012, 01:09 AM
Little temporary driveway repair I did today. The tree had uprooted during Hurricane Irene and ripped up the driveway. They plan to get it repaved at some point but just wanted it serviceable again. I went back and forth in my head on whether to bring my JD 855 T/L/B out but decided to just do it by hand. The material is 3/4 inch process traprock. This is the customer's summer cottage so I took pictures in progress and a final one to support my invoice. The pictures with the tamper in them indicate I had just compacted a level.

So am I a bonafide landscaper now? lol

What happen to the edge of the driveway dog? A nice line with dirt where the dirt was would have been just a bit sharper looking? You cashed the check, and that's what matters I guess.

Darryl G
01-13-2012, 08:57 AM
Temporary repair...they just wanted the driveway serviceable for now, so that was out of scope. I agree it looks a little funky.

nepatsfan
01-13-2012, 09:26 AM
did someone call you dog......ebonics at its best. werd

Darryl G
01-13-2012, 10:09 AM
Actually I have some friends who call me "Darryl Dog" because I tend to bark a lot, so I wasn't offended.

Rurf!

Danscapes
01-13-2012, 10:51 AM
If your not a "landscaper".......you sure are something :hammerhead:

You hand tamped all of that?!:weightlifter:

Darryl G
01-13-2012, 11:08 AM
Yeah...well it wasn't worth bringing the tractor out (I can compact with the bucket pretty well), I don't have a plate compactor and it wasn't really worth renting one.

Groomer
01-13-2012, 03:59 PM
you are now qualified to work for the township road crew filling potholes for the rest of the winter,lol.

LizzieLandscapes
02-09-2012, 06:15 AM
My answer to the thread title question is...No you cannot. Lol

OneLineAtATime
02-09-2012, 09:47 AM
Wow 500k house.. You can have a castle here for that kind of money.

Darryl G
02-09-2012, 10:06 AM
Wow 500k house.. You can have a castle here for that kind of money.

Location, location, location. It's not cheap here to begin with but this type of house near the beach is very popular as a summer home. The summer population triples here.

DaveyBlue32
02-09-2012, 02:47 PM
Darryl,

I'm glad you "got" my jab.

It's a common occurrence around here.

Laid off workers with severance buy big buck equipment and are instant "LANDSCAPERS".

I've been doing this since the early 80's and can probably count on both hands projects I've done that could be considered "Landscaping". Being fair though, I don't mulch much more than my home. I concentrate on mowing and lawn treatments.

The hardscaping aspect does intrigue me. For about 3 years I was drafting up proposals for a good friend that was into hardscaping. Worked a few weeks for him during a long summer drought about 10 years ago as well. Landscaping is one thing....hardscaping is totally different. Still the equipment required to do either at a respectable level is a detriment to most.

Where I live you can rent a bobcat with the attachments for like $400 a week...So, it's more like fear of the unknown...I guess. Don't stare into the lazer level...cause when you cut grass your lines will be crooked....LOL