PDA

View Full Version : Winter Months

tdifonzo
11-03-2011, 01:51 PM
Just Curious. What does everyone do in the "what we call winter" months?

Patriot Services
11-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Winter annuals, mulch, pruning, hardscape. Pressure cleaning, gutters, screens. Since we still get paid the same as weekly mowing now is the time to cash in on extras. Of course if your a per cut, one trick pony, mow joe you are screwed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
11-03-2011, 04:07 PM
I personally do something to learn more with some of the time such as take extension courses or a class. But then the rest of the time I sit around and get fat and dread heading out EOW for the first month or two....I get agitated then...start fights on lawnsite....then get so amped up for spring to get here with the possibility of all those new customers.....I stay amped until about the First of June when I seriously start to get pissed at the world after being in the heat for 11 to 13 hours a day.

Patriot Services
11-03-2011, 05:50 PM
One big circle of bipolarity, ocd and depression. Ain't it grand?
Posted via Mobile Device

South Florida Lawns
11-03-2011, 07:55 PM
There are a bunch of guys that don't even show up on the weeks they don't mow.

Florida Gardener
11-03-2011, 08:41 PM
There are a bunch of guys that don't even show up on the weeks they don't mow.

Unless they pay me for it, I don't either. If you break down the numbers on most small accounts(<200/mo), you arent making money showing up every week in the winter. That is how I look at it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tri-City Outdoors
11-04-2011, 09:02 AM
They receive "x" amount of service per year. Most of them being in the summer months. For lack of a better term. A flat rate monthly is financed. During the cold winter months Jan/Feb. We still show up. We edge, blow things off. Remove that branch you've been ducking under. But not always mow.

jvanvliet
11-04-2011, 01:27 PM
One big circle of bipolarity, ocd and depression. Ain't it grand?
Posted via Mobile Device

That's why Ben Franklin said "Beer is a sign that God loves us" :laugh:

Going to a four day week & showing up at accounts to tidy up, install annuals, turf, repair irrigation and schmooze.

JimmyTheGlove
11-04-2011, 02:54 PM
That's why Ben Franklin said "Beer is a sign that God loves us" :laugh:

Going to a four day week & showing up at accounts to tidy up, install annuals, turf, repair irrigation and schmooze.

That quote is an extreme exaggeration. So extreme that it's really just a lie. What he actually said was:

"Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy."

It's proven fact. You can read about it several different places online. Here's one article about it: http://urbanlegends.about.com/b/2008/09/15/misquote-ben-franklin-on-beer.htm

Just thought I'd point that out.. :dancing:

Patriot Services
11-04-2011, 02:59 PM
Thank you Captain Killjoy. Beer, wine or liquor its all good in my book.
Posted via Mobile Device

jsslawncare
11-04-2011, 03:24 PM
I always get a part-time job.

jvanvliet
11-04-2011, 04:10 PM
Thank you Captain Killjoy. Beer, wine or liquor its all good in my book.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pass me a bottle of ice cold God's love will ya?:drinkup:

Take Joy in your salvation!

Landscape Poet
11-04-2011, 10:50 PM
That quote is an extreme exaggeration. So extreme that it's really just a lie. What he actually said was:

"Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy."

It's proven fact. You can read about it several different places online. Here's one article about it: http://urbanlegends.about.com/b/2008/09/15/misquote-ben-franklin-on-beer.htm

Just thought I'd point that out.. :dancing:

WTF???? Shut up and get me a Bud Light will you Dr. Killjoy? :drinkup:

rob7233
11-05-2011, 08:00 AM
10% of the people on LS are 90% of the problem. :clapping: I'll have a Bud too! :drinkup: :cool2:

jvanvliet
11-07-2011, 06:24 AM
:drinkup: "Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our hops and barley fields, there it enters the roots of the hops and the grain, to be changed into beer and ale, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." :drinkup:

Patriot Services
11-07-2011, 07:04 AM
God loved the hell out of me yesterday. New craft beer experimentation day.
Posted via Mobile Device

jvanvliet
11-07-2011, 07:17 AM
God loved the hell out of me yesterday. New craft beer experimentation day.
Posted via Mobile Device

Do tell, found several US lagers & ales recently that were superb, Devil Dog & Heavy Seas; ABV 10% one pint and several ounces was enough for me, and @ $6.00 an excellent value relative to some of the Belgian brews like Piraat or Duval.

JimmyTheGlove
11-07-2011, 11:23 AM
Dad was killed by a drunk driver. Pardon me for having a little bit of an attitude toward alcohol.

How's that for killjoy?

Landscape Poet
11-07-2011, 12:50 PM
Dad was killed by a drunk driver. Pardon me for having a little bit of an attitude toward alcohol.

How's that for killjoy?

Sounds to me like you issue should be with people that drink and drive...not with alcohol itself. A grown man that partakes in a tasty beverage and does so in a manner which is responsible such as doing so in the comfort of his own home or in a manner which he can over indulge but has arranged for safe transportation home...he is not one you should have a issue with.

JimmyTheGlove
11-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Sounds to me like you issue should be with people that drink and drive...not with alcohol itself. A grown man that partakes in a tasty beverage and does so in a manner which is responsible such as doing so in the comfort of his own home or in a manner which he can over indulge but has arranged for safe transportation home...he is not one you should have a issue with.

Agreed. If he were shot to death, the problem would not be the gun, but the person holding the gun. So I see your point.

So I'm mostly bitter against people that are stupid enough to drive drunk. But I'm still a little bitter toward alcohol itself. And I think I have a right to be.

jvanvliet
11-07-2011, 07:58 PM
Agreed. If he were shot to death, the problem would not be the gun, but the person holding the gun. So I see your point.

So I'm mostly bitter against people that are stupid enough to drive drunk. But I'm still a little bitter toward alcohol itself. And I think I have a right to be.

I understand your feelings and you have a right to those feelings, however we did not drive the car that killed your dad. Many of us have a friend or know of someone who was struck by a drunk driver, it's tragic. Nonetheless, life goes on so don't expect the world to conform to your perspective because you have had a bad experience.

I, for one, enjoy a cold brew or two and sometimes three, I make it a point not to drive as do many other responsible adults. Please don't force your abstinence on me, it's a choice you made for yourself, I applaud you for it, it's not mine and apparently not that of others.

If this thread offends you, don't read it.

Evergreen321
11-09-2011, 07:33 PM
Having a wife with a good job is key in these next couple of months!! :laugh: ... this time of year i do a little more kicking back and relaxing, and catch up on my fishing.. i do alot of advertising for pressure washing too which i always do year round. out of the avg 40-50 accts i usually have through out the year i usually hold about 8-10 of them who i have had for years and do eow visits mostly yard maintenance etc. usually by now im down to that,, this year's been a little different i guess since we got alotta rain here in brevard over the last month, but i still have 23 accts all on eow now, and im sure half of them will cancel here in the next few weeks.

Evergreen321
11-09-2011, 07:45 PM
i dont do contracts either, id say 90% of my clients are your avg. low-middle income people that just want their lawns looking presentable, and would never go for a contract to where they're stuck paying the lawn co. all year round. But you know what i usually get alot of them back and gain new clients very quickly in the spring, usually by may/june i dont even advertise anymore, i like to keep it simple

tillerstick
11-10-2011, 09:39 AM
I brew and drink more beer during the winter. Easier to ferment and stockpile for the warmer months. It's one of very few hobbies that are not too expensive and you actually have something to show for it. Either lots of beer, or a beer gut.:drinkup:

stickleylawncare
11-10-2011, 10:41 AM
Winter semester is always much easier on school, the work load dies down as it gets closer and closer to handing in the research papers. Instead of beer, my coffee consumption sky rockets this time of year.

jvanvliet
11-11-2011, 05:38 AM
Evergreen:

You are up by Melbourne right?

BCL Services
11-11-2011, 07:38 AM
This is when the commercial contracts that many lawnsite members complain about pay huge dividends. The next 4 to 5 months bring in huge revenue for us because we have the time to complete the extra work (mulch, tree trimming, new plant and landscape installs) while keeping the same year round revenue streaming in from the annual maintenance contract. I love the winter :)