PDA

View Full Version : Aerating & Seeding Schedule - Need Feedback

douglee25
11-03-2011, 02:37 PM
I think I missed the boat this year. Between work and everything else going on, I never got around to aerating and overseeding on my own personal lawn. Now the leaves began to fall, and we even got 4 inches of snow last weekend. Temps are back up into the high 50's during the day and the snow is gone.

Questions -

1. Can I still aerate and seed this late? If I can not seed now, would aerating still provide the benefits, or would I be better off just waiting until spring?

2. If aerating is OK now, would aerating the lawn prior to leaf cleanup be an effective way to getting a 'like topdress' down into the core?

Thanks.

Doug

Puttinggreens
11-03-2011, 03:12 PM
Think about doing the work in December. Problem with aerating and seeding now is some of the seed may germinate but not mature enough to get through the winter.

Aerating and seeding in December will be late enough to keep the seed from germinating until spring. Meanwhile the seed gets worked into the soil well from all the freeze thaw cycles and storms. Results are better than areas worked in the spring.

We have been handling late signups this way for years,,, works good. Currently have about 10 aeration seeding jobs on the board for first week of December now.

douglee25
11-03-2011, 03:16 PM
That's a good way to think about it as well. You bring up some valid points.

Doug

RigglePLC
11-03-2011, 04:05 PM
"Seed may germinate but not mature enough to get through the winter."

To get through winter...how mature does new seed have to be, exactly? Is there a month when one could never plant grass seed successfully?

If the new grass is a half inch tall--is that tall enough to survive the winter? Is bluegrass better than ryegrass in this regard? At what soil temperature can you be sure grass seed will not germinate under the snow? Would you say below 40 degrees F?

Since soil temperature will be very cold in the spring, would pre-germinating the seed in warm water in fall work faster? What about in spring?

douglee25
11-03-2011, 06:40 PM
"Seed may germinate but not mature enough to get through the winter."

To get through winter...how mature does new seed have to be, exactly? Is there a month when one could never plant grass seed successfully?

If the new grass is a half inch tall--is that tall enough to survive the winter? Is bluegrass better than ryegrass in this regard? At what soil temperature can you be sure grass seed will not germinate under the snow? Would you say below 40 degrees F?

Since soil temperature will be very cold in the spring, would pre-germinating the seed in warm water in fall work faster? What about in spring?

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or you're truthfully asking?

Doug

americanlawn
11-03-2011, 07:05 PM
Riggle is right on the money. I'm in your same zone. All depends on Mother Nature. Some years we were able to dormant seed around December 10. Most years it's mid to late November. I prefer KBG over ryegrass.

dboyd351
11-03-2011, 07:35 PM
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or you're truthfully asking?

Doug

Doug,
I think Riggle is completely serious and is not trying to give you a hard time. He likes to run lots of experiments to satisfy his curiosity.

douglee25
11-03-2011, 10:10 PM
OK, I just wasn't sure. I can't answer any of those questions honestly, that's why I came here to ask the experts!

Doug