PDA

View Full Version : Lawn renovation

wkbrafford
11-03-2011, 09:35 PM
Redoing my backyard after trees were took out. Aeration and tall rebel fescue thrown down. Its all dirt from where alot of trees were taken out and bobcat scratched the dirt all up. water drains down into the woods and is a little wet where the new yard would be. Is it fine for tall fescue to be grown there? Would throw lime down first and any fertilizer after the fescue been thrown down. Live in NC. Thanks

Smallaxe
11-04-2011, 06:26 AM
The grass you chose for your area should be chosen becuz it is suitable for your area... go to you local garden center and see if you can find someone who khows anything about shade/sun for your climate...

BTW, throwing down fert and lime w/out a valid reason or knowing if it is necessary is not wise...

tlc1994
11-04-2011, 08:47 PM
PLEASE, get a soil test first - find a soil test kit at a local nursery and send it to a county extention. It won't take long, and gives you step by step instructions on your soil's nutrient requirements.

wkbrafford
11-06-2011, 07:26 PM
Taking the soil test in tomorrow since could not make it into the city by 5 friday. Laid 250 foot of drainage pipe and extending mans yard aerating lawn and planting some fescue for him. Never dug so much in my life could have escaped Alcatrez twice!!! Thanks for the help i was really leaning towards taking the home depot test but i need to set an example on this yard so i took the appropriate route. Has anyone ever laid drainage pipe for gutters and into the woods. ( Mine was 250 ft of drainage pipe to five downspouts connected a couple but was still a job) What would you charge for that? Anyways when i get the test back will update yall.

Smallaxe
11-06-2011, 08:29 PM
Taking the soil test in tomorrow since could not make it into the city by 5 friday. Laid 250 foot of drainage pipe and extending mans yard aerating lawn and planting some fescue for him. Never dug so much in my life could have escaped Alcatrez twice!!! Thanks for the help i was really leaning towards taking the home depot test but i need to set an example on this yard so i took the appropriate route. Has anyone ever laid drainage pipe for gutters and into the woods. ( Mine was 250 ft of drainage pipe to five downspouts connected a couple but was still a job) What would you charge for that? Anyways when i get the test back will update yall.

What does 250' of drainage pipe have to do with establishing a lawn that is right for your area???

Let us know how you're overseeding project works out... :)

RigglePLC
11-06-2011, 08:48 PM
You used a diesel trenching machine...right? And laser leveling equipment? And back filled with a layer of pea gravel?

wkbrafford
11-07-2011, 08:44 PM
right. nope and nope. Gravel was a charge homeowner said was not needed. Not perforated pipe, it was solid corrugated so he said not needed. Any reasons why pea gravel would help. Did not want to argue with the ol man. told him we use it mostly everytime.

RigglePLC
11-08-2011, 01:15 PM
I am not a drainage expert. I thought that perforated pipe would allow water to enter all along the tube. But perhaps that is not what you need. When you have perforated pipe the purpose of the gravel or pebbles is to allow water to enter without pulgging the pipe with sand or mud. I think--perhaps a more experienced person will comment.

tlc1994
11-08-2011, 11:40 PM
right. nope and nope. Gravel was a charge homeowner said was not needed. Not perforated pipe, it was solid corrugated so he said not needed. Any reasons why pea gravel would help. Did not want to argue with the ol man. told him we use it mostly everytime.

A main reason pea gravel would surround the pipe is to be a buffer to alert some digging or using a backhoe that a pipe is in the area. However, this is usually for gas or water lines - I haven't heard of it being used for drainage, but I too am not very enlightened on the subject...

wkbrafford
11-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the info you guys. Really helped out my situation. Tilled up his backyard today and smoothed it out. Looks like a picture perfect job. Still waiting on the soil sample sheet, should have gave the man a twenty and bumped me to the top:clapping:

wkbrafford
11-20-2011, 06:32 PM
Soil test are in going tomm 10 10 10 twenty pounds every 1000sqft. Winter rye and we are on the move. Was going to aerator three weeks ago but waited on soil test. Is it too late to aerate in Nc. I didn't think there should be any problem any insight would be good
Posted via Mobile Device