PDA

View Full Version : Fall Clean Ups and Property Lines

lawnman24949
11-03-2011, 11:17 PM
I just wanted to see how we handle property lines with fall clean ups. For me when there are leaves in the neighbors yard from a tree that overlaps the property a few feet I will blow the leaves from the neighbors yard because it is only a few feet and these are really the customers leafs. Also I do not do this if the neighbors yard is covered in leaves. I only do the blowing of the extra few feet when the neighbors yard has no trees in them because i know they are not their leaves. Just wondering if any of you did this.

douglee25
11-03-2011, 11:21 PM
Whether it's leaves, the grass, the hedges, etc, I always go onto the neighbor's property a minimum of 5ft and take care of it. I don't get picky with the exact property line.

Doug

Darryl G
11-04-2011, 12:24 AM
I do the same, espeically if I have to go on their property to blow out the hedges on my customer's property or something. I figure they're not likely to complain that I'm "trespassing" if I help clean up their lawn while I'm at it.

The thing is that I don't always know where the property line is because my customer doesn't even know. It amazes me how many people don't know where their property lines are.

Ridin' Green
11-04-2011, 12:34 AM
Whether it's leaves, the grass, the hedges, etc, I always go onto the neighbor's property a minimum of 5ft and take care of it. I don't get picky with the exact property line.

Doug

I understand what you are saying, and why you say you do it, so this isn't meant as a slam on you for trying to do a good job, but.......

If my neighbor hired a LCO to do their yard, and the guy came on to my property even one foot past the line, I'd be out there in his face quick, fast and in a hurry. I am very fussy about my property, and I don't want some jackwagon doing anything to it I didn't authorize them to do, especially to any trees or hedges etc.

One of my neighbors down the road I used to cut for has an LCO now who goes all over the place when he's anywhere near the property line if it makes it easier for him at the moment, and the line is marked. It doesn't appear to matter to him where he goes or what he does when he's near the line. That's no way to do business IMO. Fortunately for him, the people who own the place that he goes over onto are extremely lazy about doing any lawn maintainence, so they are probably glad to get something (sometimes) for nothing.

To the OP, I don't go onto anyone's property without their permission, even if it's to do the right thing. If they say they are OK with it, then yea, I do what you do, but I always try to find out where the line is before hand no matter what I'm doing for someone.

Darryl G
11-04-2011, 01:19 AM
I understand what you are saying, and why you say you do it, so this isn't meant as a slam on you for trying to do a good job, but.......

If my neighbor hired a LCO to do their yard, and the guy came on to my property even one foot past the line, I'd be out there in his face quick, fast and in a hurry. I am very fussy about my property, and I don't want some jackwagon doing anything to it I didn't authorize them to do, especially to any trees or hedges etc.

One of my neighbors down the road I used to cut for has an LCO now who goes all over the place when he's anywhere near the property line if it makes it easier for him at the moment, and the line is marked. It doesn't appear to matter to him where he goes or what he does when he's near the line. That's no way to do business IMO. Fortunately for him, the people who own the place that he goes over onto are extremely lazy about doing any lawn maintainence, so they are probably glad to get something (sometimes) for nothing.

To the OP, I don't go onto anyone's property without their permission, even if it's to do the right thing. If they say they are OK with it, then yea, I do what you do, but I always try to find out where the line is before hand no matter what I'm doing for someone.

Oooh, you're one of them people! Well if you're gonna freak out cuz I went on your property 2 feet to blow out the barberry hedge that's on the property line, we're gonna have to get the cops out there, lol. Would you rather I blow it all onto your property? :laugh:

Ridin' Green
11-04-2011, 01:55 AM
Oooh, you're one of them people! Well if you're gonna freak out cuz I went on your property 2 feet to blow out the barberry hedge that's on the property line, we're gonna have to get the cops out there, lol. Would you rather I blow it all onto your property? :laugh:

Yea, I'm one of them:laugh:

If you had, (and if IIRC you have, to at least some extent) been through what I have with former neighbors over trying to take part of you property, you'd get PO'd too. I don't have a problem with guys blowing their leaves back off of my yard, but I for sure do if they start trimming or blowing the bushes that are mine and on or near the line, or are mowing over it.:nono: If they want to come around and blow my neighbors bush leaves back into their yard, I have no truck with that. Fortunately I don't have that problem where I live right at the moment, at least not unless a neighbor dies and someone new moves in. Mainly though, I was responding the guy who mentioned going 5' past the line to do what he thought need doing. I'm not down with that for the reasons stated above, even if it is for the right reason.

I was raised to respect other peoples property and rights to it, no matter what, and I have never strayed from that.

Sorry if I offend anyone about this. I admit to being touchy about this issue. I know most everyone on here are just hard working people trying to do their best work. That's what makes America great.

Darryl G
11-04-2011, 02:42 AM
Don't get me started about neighbors...I have a dozen next door neighbors! I've got 3 significant slope/fill encroachments on my property, 3 neighbors who throw their yard wastes over the stone wall onto my property, and one who actually put a gate in his fence so he can dump stuff down the slope onto my property. A guy who has a right-of-way across my back acreage attacked me and my Beagle with his single stage snowblower chucking snow and gravel at us while on MY property last winter because he didn't like how I plowed MY driveway beyond where his splits off (I leave a little snow berm there that I can drive through but would deter others). He and his wife insist that I have no business being down there....mind you it's MY property, they just have a right-of-way across it. So yeah, I understand. I can be a bit touchy about my property too.

douglee25
11-04-2011, 07:37 AM
Yea, I'm one of them:laugh:

If you had, (and if IIRC you have, to at least some extent) been through what I have with former neighbors over trying to take part of you property, you'd get PO'd too. I don't have a problem with guys blowing their leaves back off of my yard, but I for sure do if they start trimming or blowing the bushes that are mine and on or near the line, or are mowing over it.:nono: If they want to come around and blow my neighbors bush leaves back into their yard, I have no truck with that. Fortunately I don't have that problem where I live right at the moment, at least not unless a neighbor dies and someone new moves in. Mainly though, I was responding the guy who mentioned going 5' past the line to do what he thought need doing. I'm not down with that for the reasons stated above, even if it is for the right reason.

I was raised to respect other peoples property and rights to it, no matter what, and I have never strayed from that.

Sorry if I offend anyone about this. I admit to being touchy about this issue. I know most everyone on here are just hard working people trying to do their best work. That's what makes America great.

That's a shame you're so jaded. I was raised to not only respect neighbors but to also help them out. As neighbors we take care of each other.... no one keeps score, and no one is sure going to get in my face because I cut 5 ft on their lawn or trimmed a hedge for them.

To those who have neighbors you dont like, you end up spending more time and energy hating the person rather than just go knock on their door one day and make peace. It doesn't make sense. I don't need drama in my life. Go take a beer over and make peace.

Doug
Posted via Mobile Device

LawnScapers of Dayton
11-04-2011, 09:16 PM
I stop at the property line......possession is 9/10 of the law......those leaves on their property are not my problem. No doubt I am cleaning up their leaves on my customers lawn....

Also if I am cleaning the mess on their yard for free....why would they hire me and pay me to do it....

Stillwater
11-05-2011, 12:07 AM
If my neighbor hired a LCO to do their yard, and the guy came on to my property even one foot past the line, I'd be out there in his face quick, fast and in a hurry..

oh god your one of them.......whos the jackwagon.....?.....

Ridin' Green
11-05-2011, 12:32 AM
oh god your one of them.......whos the jackwagon.....?.....

Like it, don't like it. I don't care how you feel. It's my property. I worked hard for it. I take exceptional care of it. I don't appreciate anyone else doing what they want on it just to make their job easier.

So I'd say that makes you a jackwagon if you have a problem with that, and I'd guess by your comment that you are one of those guys who has a selfish attitude, and does what is easiest for him instead of what's right. That's a shame, because guys who tread anywhere they want while doing this line of work, give the rest of us a bad name.

Ridin' Green
11-05-2011, 12:45 AM
That's a shame you're so jaded. I was raised to not only respect neighbors but to also help them out. As neighbors we take care of each other.... no one keeps score, and no one is sure going to get in my face because I cut 5 ft on their lawn or trimmed a hedge for them.

To those who have neighbors you dont like, you end up spending more time and energy hating the person rather than just go knock on their door one day and make peace. It doesn't make sense. I don't need drama in my life. Go take a beer over and make peace.

Doug
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm not jaded bro. I just respect the boundry line and expect others to do the same. I get along with my own neighbors, and do lots of free work for many of them. Especially the elderly ones who can't do it themselves. Have so for years too. I help out when a storm takes down a tree, blows debris all over, etc.

My post was regarding the doing of business and going 5' into another persons yard next to my cutomers property to do work. Even if it is for is a good reason, it still doesn't make it right. I ain't down with that unless they give me permission to do it. It can even harm your business reputation. None of us want, or need that.

I have had neighbors move in next to me in the past that thought they could do what they want, where they want, and anytime they want. Like paving several feet into my yard so that their driveway could be a little wider. Like mowing into my well groomed yard to make their front yard appear larger than it is, while at the same time mowing a couple inches shorter than I do so that everything died out during the heat of summer. That's just the tip of that iceburg. Fortunately, they are long gone.

Stillwater
11-05-2011, 12:46 AM
Got you going didnt i....
Posted via Mobile Device

wahlturfcare
11-07-2011, 09:21 AM
i always blow or rake couple feet into the neigbors yard to collect the leaves for my client. i never allow me or any of the guys to take a mower into a neighbors yard though.
I have gotten alot of thanks from neighbors for doing it and have picked up alot of work from it too.
I do know one guy around me will blow everything into the neighbors yard if he can get by with it to save him time picking them up. And then wonders why he doesnt have many accounts.

MOW ED
11-07-2011, 07:46 PM
I try my best to respect the boundry however if I blow a mess onto an adjoining yard, I clean the mess. I don't put equipment on a neighbors lawn other than my 2 feet and a backpack blower.
I have had people get goofy when 2 leaves get blown onto their property so I try and leave the place as nice or nicer than when I started.

JB1
11-07-2011, 07:59 PM
shame on you, I love my neighbor, almost got caught one day loving her by my wife, but thats another story.

JDiepstra
11-07-2011, 08:15 PM
I always try to respect property lines as much as possible. One thing I have noticed is that inconsiderate neighbors who realize that my customer has a lawn service will blow or spray their leaves into my customers lawns, no doubt assuming that "oh their lawn service will take care of it". When it is obvious they have done that, I blow it right back into their lawn.

WenzelOSLLC
11-07-2011, 08:18 PM
shame on you, I love my neighbor, almost got caught one day loving her by my wife, but thats another story.

:rolleyes: I'd like to hear that story. :laugh:

I haven't had the problem of bushes or trees on property lines but I know that if I had to trim a bush I would do the whole thing, not just the part on my clients property. I think it would look a bit odd if only half the bush was trimmed....

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
11-07-2011, 08:25 PM
We go to the property line and maybe a hair past it. Enough to hopefully make all happy. Good luck to all.
Posted via Mobile Device

FDJ
11-08-2011, 09:08 AM
I try and stay within the line, learned the hard way.

Apparently, at least in my state, if you start taking care of a portion of someones property for long enough you could technically claim it yours and add it to your property.

A clients neighbor once even threatened to sue me just because I was mowing 2ft over the line, which I thought was doing him a favor and being courteous.

Of course if I blow some leaves into the neighbors yard I try and recover them, but I stick to the property line, maybe 1" over not by choice, but by respecting the law and the neighbors property.
I guess in the world of lawyers you cant be courteous.

jackal
11-08-2011, 09:20 AM
I've had a few over the years show me the line. Fortunately Its not the norn. I try to respect other people's property.

Gilmore.Landscaping
11-08-2011, 09:41 AM
I understand where Ridin Green is coming from, I am very picky about my lawn and clients lawns (That's how I keep Clients) so you better stick to the property line or we are going to have issues.

And Just because "your" tree drops leaves on the neighbors property doesn't mean you have to clean them up. That's just the nature of mother nature, I clean up whats on my properties and that's it, I am not being paid to clean off the neighbors lawn.

MDLawn
11-08-2011, 11:17 AM
I've dealt with both. One was where I would mow around the landscape bed in the front that was probably 1 ft from the property line so with a 48" mower I overlapped by 3ft. At first I didn't think much of it but one day I showed up to mow and the neighbor had put 5 or 6 of those long stakes with the circular reflectors along the property line next to that landscape bed. I understood and had no problem with it. My customer asked me if I knew why his neighbor put those stakes there and I told him. He laughed and kind of rolled his eyes and gave a "whatever". First, I should have respected his property line, although not sure where it truely was at first. Second, just come out and tell me in very polite tone that you'd appreciate me not mowing your property and I would have said "Sure not a problem, sorry about that." Then we're still all civil and have an understanding.

Another customer I picked up this year had almost the exact situation with the landscape bed and he informed me to not mow that area per his neighbors request. No problem but I need to drive over it which was ok. The last guy he had to fire because he wouldn't listen to the request :hammerhead:. How dumb can someone be to not listen to a customers simple request like that. Oh not to mention he hired me eventhough I was priced much higher that all the previous companies. I've picked up numerous accounts, lawn or landscape, for this very reason. As long as it's not crazy listen to your customers requests. I also ask my customers about their neighbors and man that was always a helpful thing to do.

With leaves I walk the property line and and get them on my customers property, no more no less.

I can understand how some people get frustrated. Look at it this way, at least with mowing, you have a property that is surrounded by 3 other properties. During mowing at least 2 of those sides will be used as a "turning lane" as you mow. More chances of ripping up the neighbors lawn turning (yes I know the rest of you are all experts and have never had that happen). That would make me a little angry too. Just make a few passes around the perimiter then you have all the turning room you need without the chance of disturbing someone elses property.

mnglocker
11-08-2011, 11:55 AM
I suck the leavers up right along the property line, then I'll blow the neighbor's leafs back 5 or ten feet from the property line so they don't blow back onto my account.

JDiepstra
11-08-2011, 12:19 PM
I suck the leavers up right along the property line, then I'll blow the neighbor's leafs back 5 or ten feet from the property line so they don't blow back onto my account.

Been there, done that.