PDA

View Full Version : Easiest way to bypass a master valve

muddywater
11-04-2011, 12:13 AM
I have a situation where I need to bypass a mastervalve on a campus. The main line now has two clocks on it and they did not want to pay for additional wiring for the additional clock to operate the mastervalve.

The valve is a 1 1/2" hunter. I would like to make the valve permanently open. I am worried if I just crack the solenoid someone might shut it off and then 20 pallets of grass dies. Is there a way to macgyver the solenoid so that it keeps the valve open? I was thinking it might be possible to remove the plunger on the Hunter solenoid but it looks like it is not meant to come out. Any tricks?

Kiril
11-04-2011, 12:14 AM
Macgyver would gut it.

muddywater
11-04-2011, 12:21 AM
Macgyver would gut it.

have you gutted a hunter solenoid with success? or are you talking about gutting the diaphram?

Kiril
11-04-2011, 12:23 AM
have you gutted a hunter solenoid with success? or are you talking about gutting the diaphram?

Not the solenoid, the guts of the valve. I personally wouldn't do it that way, but others have.

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
11-04-2011, 12:26 AM
just take the plunger out of the solenoid.

Or put a program in the controller that controls the master valve on an unused station and program for the duration of the hours when the other controller needs to run.

DanaMac
11-04-2011, 12:44 AM
I don't recall the Hunter solenoids having capability to remove the plungers. But I've never tried either. How about cutting out the center of the diaphragm, or removing the spring?

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
11-04-2011, 12:54 AM
I don't recall the Hunter solenoids having capability to remove the plungers. But I've never tried either. How about cutting out the center of the diaphragm, or removing the spring?

The solenoid is just like on a RB PEB..... take a pair of needle nose pliers and remove the white plastic tab that keeps the plunger captive and you're good to go.

AI Inc
11-04-2011, 06:50 AM
Ya cant just cut it out of there?

muddywater
11-04-2011, 07:42 AM
The solenoid is just like on a RB PEB..... take a pair of needle nose pliers and remove the white plastic tab that keeps the plunger captive and you're good to go.

Thanks. I am going to try that.

muddywater
11-04-2011, 07:43 AM
Ya cant just cut it out of there?

This isn't an hourly bill. I would much rather replace a solenoid.

Wet_Boots
11-04-2011, 09:34 AM
If the mainline blows out because of the 24/7 water pressure, are you already absolved of all responsibility?

Mike Leary
11-04-2011, 12:27 PM
Boy, the old fickle finger of fate could be pointed in your direction if something blows. I'd sit down and explain the importance of master valves to the client, otherwise, walk, no, run.

FIMCO-MEISTER
11-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Yeah I agree with you Mike. Plus some installers that know they have a mv backup tend to be a little sloppy on the rest of the mainline.

Mike Leary
11-04-2011, 12:56 PM
Yeah I agree with you Mike. Plus some installers that know they have a mv backup tend to be a little sloppy on the rest of the mainline.

That's my thought, too. I suppose, with one of my systems where I supervised the install, I'd do it, but only for a quick change-out.

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
11-04-2011, 01:26 PM
I'm not so sure that it's that big of a deal to have the master valve open. It's very rare that master valves are installed out here. I have systems with 3" mains at 130PSI with no master valves. We never have blowouts on them. It sounds like this is a temporary thing for him just to establish some sod.

AI Inc
11-04-2011, 01:28 PM
I'm not so sure that it's that big of a deal to have the master valve open. It's very rare that master valves are installed out here. I have systems with 3" mains at 130PSI with no master valves. We never have blowouts on them. It sounds like this is a temporary thing for him just to establish some sod.

Same here, less then 1% of our resi,s have them. Personaly I dont care for them.

muddywater
11-04-2011, 06:49 PM
I have mixed feelings on master valves. In this case this was the only clock out of 15 clocks on campus that had a master valve. I gave them the option of additional wiring costs(they did not tell me there was a master valve for the irrigation addition I bid) and they opted to bypass the master valve.
Posted via Mobile Device

muddywater
11-04-2011, 06:54 PM
Boy, the old fickle finger of fate could be pointed in your direction if something blows. I'd sit down and explain the importance of master valves to the client, otherwise, walk, no, run.

Master valves are not the standard here. I would rather have the work and make money than argue over a theoretical problem. Doing irrigation installs in the slow season is gravy. I have a ways to go before I am old, crotchety and ornery like you and can pick the cream of the crop jobs like you can.
Posted via Mobile Device

DanaMac
11-04-2011, 06:58 PM
Not many master valves here either. I like them, but don't think they are necessary on 99% of systems. I think on large commercial systems, there should be more of them though. I've seen enough blowouts at shopping centers and schools where the water was flowing for hours or days, and a MV could have helped prevent the loss of water and landscaping.

muddywater
11-04-2011, 07:12 PM
Not many master valves here either. I like them, but don't think they are necessary on 99% of systems. I think on large commercial systems, there should be more of them though. I've seen enough blowouts at shopping centers and schools where the water was flowing for hours or days, and a MV could have helped prevent the loss of water and landscaping.

The other thing is if the system did have a main line leak after the master, it seems like it could be months before it was detected if the system only ran in the night hours.

DanaMac
11-04-2011, 07:19 PM
I would rather have a small mainline leak that is never detected, than to have a weekend long leak that washes out a retaining wall.

Mike Leary
11-04-2011, 08:45 PM
I have a ways to go before I am old, crotchety and ornery like you and can pick the cream of the crop jobs like you can.

I've had a ton of different business cards and, I guess, was always "crotchety and ornery". Never even thought anything about it, just did what my gut said. When I was at RCA Victor in L.A., my supervisor hammered me about "rocking the boat", I told him to stick it and my client, Harry Nilsson, backed me up and the album went on, until I got sick of screwing around with idiots and moved on. :dizzy:

irritation
11-04-2011, 08:53 PM
When I was at RCA Victor

Your too old to feel this damn young.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/75/VictorTalkingLogo.jpg

Mike Leary
11-04-2011, 09:13 PM
Your too old to feel this damn young.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/75/VictorTalkingLogo.jpg

Oddly enough, I had my pal dog "Sven" (who figured in Nilsson's "The Point") when in L.A. As far as I know, he was the only dog ever permitted in the hallowed grounds of RCA studio "A" (The big mother).

Sprinkus
11-04-2011, 11:32 PM
Sledgehammer.
Well, removing the solenoid plunger choice was already taken. :waving:

AI Inc
11-05-2011, 07:59 AM
The other thing is if the system did have a main line leak after the master, it seems like it could be months before it was detected if the system only ran in the night hours.

Thats my reasoning. Not main leaks as its not as common as stuck zones. Stuck zone with no master is detected that day. With a master it may be 1/2 the summer.

CAPT Stream Rotar
11-05-2011, 09:06 AM
lol We had a place last year 3 inch pvc main..They demanded that the upcoming water in particular areas were cause of the irrigation system...I mean this HOA handler was 100%

I soldered them onto all (4) 2 inch copper POC's..Charged accordingly to do it...

I go to blow out the system few weeks ago..Same leaks, same places..

They wanted me to get a back hoe and dig 2 feet down in a road, and "find that leak"

I could go into more of the story but i haven't had coffee yet.

Moral of the story this main had over 120 psi, and never leaked.....I knew it...everyone else doubted...

Wet_Boots
11-05-2011, 11:11 AM
Have some coffee and come back and translate that post, mmmkay?

DanaMac
11-05-2011, 11:17 AM
Have some coffee and come back and translate that post, mmmkay?

Eddie has always typed his posts in his own cryptic language. I've been able to decipher most of them over the years.
What I took from this statement, was that there were leaks on the property and by installing the MVs, the leaks should stop. Leaks were still there with the MVs in place. Eddie was right, everyone else was wrong. Sound about right kiddo? :)

Wet_Boots
11-05-2011, 11:24 AM
That's what I figured, but I got in late, and the coal stove went out and I haven't had my caffeine yet. :sleeping:

AI Inc
11-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Eddie has always typed his posts in his own cryptic language. I've been able to decipher most of them over the years.
What I took from this statement, was that there were leaks on the property and by installing the MVs, the leaks should stop. Leaks were still there with the MVs in place. Eddie was right, everyone else was wrong. Sound about right kiddo? :)

so you speak fluent cape cawd?

Wet_Boots
11-05-2011, 04:37 PM
"Chow-dah!!"