PDA

View Full Version : I wish more lawn/landscape companies could work together and grow!!OHIO,CINCY

lawns by design
11-04-2011, 12:58 AM
I have been in the lawn business for over 10 years my companies name is lawns by design. I just started my company in 2009 but have been doing this for ever i love my work. But it seems like its hundreds of peoples with trucks and trailer and a mower it just seems like its a better way i know brickman is huge and runs half the country but what about us little guys i would like to start a network group just for us im tired of going 20 mins for one lawn and another 15 mins for the next... Cincinnati area if someone wants to talk business let me know ....

MAD whacker
11-04-2011, 11:40 AM
it takes time to build up the kind of business relationship that enables you to be able to help or get help from others. and most of the time its a trade off, like i only work closely with 3 other companies and they use some of my big equipment in return. im not sure that the profit margins are such that i could "hire out" or "buy up" work. i will say this though , at a certain point you can afford to pick and choose the work you take on, until then youd better take whatever you get and build on it EVERY DAY. i have had to under bid jobs and under cut some of my competition to run them out and if youre not in a position to take some losses then you need to get as many accts that can be traded or swapped. there are 100+ companies in my area and i only have a working relationship with 3 think that over,

hope i helped ,

M.W.

lawns by design
11-04-2011, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the advice its more then 700 lawn and landscape companies in Cincinnati alone but I do understand what you mean. How did you go about getting more commercial accounts ?
Posted via Mobile Device

MAD whacker
11-05-2011, 01:20 AM
Thanks for the advice its more then 700 lawn and landscape companies in Cincinnati alone but I do understand what you mean. How did you go about getting more commercial accounts ?
Posted via Mobile Device

one of my biggest accts was here when i started... i did all their hvac work.

the other way is point of contact marketing, its hard to explain, but the jest of it is this, if you talk to the right person/s with confidence and a valid reputation the jobs sell themselves...

i have only been in landscaping and lawn care for a short time , but it is like any other bells and whistles companies in that you must do a good job EVERY time and always deal with customers as a entity not a profit, i learned this from my granddad who also learned from his dad... luck of the draw i guess.

if you give the customers what they want , WHEN they want it it becomes a standard of your services, much like the power company think about having a crew that has only one goal CUSTOMER SATISFACTION. Thumbs Up

mhubert123
12-05-2011, 12:55 AM
I have been in the lawn business for over 10 years my companies name is lawns by design. I just started my company in 2009 but have been doing this for ever i love my work. But it seems like its hundreds of peoples with trucks and trailer and a mower it just seems like its a better way i know brickman is huge and runs half the country but what about us little guys i would like to start a network group just for us im tired of going 20 mins for one lawn and another 15 mins for the next... Cincinnati area if someone wants to talk business let me know ....

Hey, I must agree with you on this subject and I live in Green Twp. [west Cincinnati] I just turned 17 and I really want to get officially started this coming Spring with my own lawn biz. I don't have any equipment yet, but I also want to learn more about the industry b4 I actually start spending money, you know what i mean? If you know anyone willing to help me learn some of the ins and outs, please let me know b/c I really would like to learn more on the industry, if you are looking for a helper I might be able to help you out sometimes...
One more question is do you do snow plowing at all?

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me,
Matthew H. :)

yardguy28
12-05-2011, 09:49 AM

funny your tired of doing this when this MY norm every single work day, most of the work day.

most of my lawns are spread out through out the city and each job is 10-15 min. apart.

maybe it's because you've been doing it twice as long as i have but i don't tire of it. sure it'd be nice to have multipul accounts in a neighborhood where you can either make one stop and unload once for multipul houses or at the very least they are a 2 min. drive apart (i have some of those). but i wouldn't say i tire of most accounts being 10-15 min. apart.

i think the first post you got says something about it taking time to establish that networking relationship you want. which it does. but even then. in this day and age, in this economy i think it's every man for himself. i know i'm that way. my business is focused totally on me, myself and i. right down to my prices. they are what i need to make a living, not what some guy down the street is charging or what the market will bare. sometimes my prices are lower than what the market will bare. but if i'm meeting my financial goals, thats all i'm concerned with.

i do have a friend in the business that i use for the services i don't offer. but thats all i use him for. i'm not gonna send him mowing accounts just because it's a 10 or 15 min. drive. and since i'm solo and he had 6 or so guys working for him the chances he's gonna send me work is slim.

mostly i use him for advice. he sort of pays me back for the work i send him by giving me advice.

i think in this day and age since its every man for himself, very few are willing to network and target only certain areas. i go all over town for work. sure i space my route out each day accordingly but there isn't a side of town i won't take work. and i don't know many in the business that are different.

on my street alone there is at least a dozen different lawn companys that come through and do work. i have only 4 accounts on my street. 2 are right next door to each other and the other 2 are spread out and of the 2 that are spread out, there neighbors each have a different company to the left and right.

Shappie
04-10-2012, 10:10 PM
I agree, but nobody is willing to put trust forward at this point. Its the year of the lowballers, so you and I have to compete with companies that can cut a half acre lot for 20 bucks, just because they have the volume to still profit. Its terrible. I am still struggling to find accounts in northern hamilton county, so i drive from Ross to Delhi just for consistant work..

Brown & Co.
04-11-2012, 07:14 AM
Im not in Ohio but I agree why so many?...at some point do you think that combing a few companies into one larger company would yield greater results...better efficiency, lower rates, more business, less workload...etc?