PDA

View Full Version : Snow this past weekend making my winterizations more challenging

DIXIECONTRACTING
11-04-2011, 09:54 AM
With the snow last week I find myself digging out heads to winterize which is taking me longer never had to do that before. LOL

AI Inc
11-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Why dig them out? If they called this late , they get what they get.

DIXIECONTRACTING
11-04-2011, 01:13 PM
They did not call late I am still doing blow outs and I'm sure you know if they don't pop the system won't empty

Mdirrigation
11-04-2011, 08:57 PM
Why dig them out ? The ground isnt frozen . They should pop up all on their own .

irritation
11-04-2011, 09:02 PM
Why dig them out?
I would like to know the end head was clear of water.

mitchgo
11-04-2011, 09:09 PM
ever blown out in freezing temps? The heads DO have a hard time popping uppp... If you pull them up they generally do fine.

How is this late ? it's not winter yet

Man we winterize for 2.5 months to 3 months . Even get late people wanting to do it in january. We charge 3x our normal rate

DanaMac
11-04-2011, 09:14 PM
ever blown out in freezing temps? The heads DO have a hard time popping uppp... If you pull them up they generally do fine.

How is this late ? it's not winter yet

Man we winterize for 2.5 months to 3 months . Even get late people wanting to do it in january. We charge 3x our normal rate

Three snowstorms, 9 degrees yesterday morning, 16 known freeze damage issue, and its not late? Different climates.
Posted via Mobile Device

mitchgo
11-04-2011, 09:18 PM
true that.

The last few nights have made 32-35 here.

we got cold snaps late novemeber and december.

Mdirrigation
11-04-2011, 09:26 PM
I have had my compressor out in 12 inches of snow behind my plow truck blowing out systems . The rotors shoot water and air thru a foot of snow . I have had to use the torch to melt ice in backflows and the heads still pop . And if they dont at that point there isnt anything I can do until spring .

On the bottom of every invoice

" blowing out a irrigation system is not an expressed or implied warranty or a guarentee against damages"

Mike Leary
11-04-2011, 09:28 PM

A good hand on the compressor ball valve will be able to slowly open the heads up if one was late to winterize. (Not that I've ever been guilty of it).:dizzy:

irritation
11-04-2011, 09:55 PM
I have had to use the torch to melt ice in backflows

That is a big no-no, they usually fail next test. I've thawed many backflows doing blowouts, leave the water on and turn a zone on, pour buckets of water over the backflow until the zone runs.

Mdirrigation
11-04-2011, 10:03 PM
That is a big no-no, they usually fail next test. I've thawed many backflows doing blowouts, leave the water on and turn a zone on, pour buckets of water over the backflow until the zone runs.

Most of the time they do , but thats the plumbers territory around here . If the people call that late that ice has set in thats their problem . I usually carry a compression fitting , and cut the downstream copper pipe , thaw it out and blow out the system , I give the customer the option , its time and materials , its longer to thaw out a backflow than it is to cut the pipe . Once they are frozen they are usually shot anyway.

irritation
11-04-2011, 10:38 PM
Once they are frozen they are usually shot anyway.

Depends on the device, Febco PVB's will crack the plastics easily but Wilkins or Watts will withstand pretty harsh temps. Most RP's seem to withstand temps well. But I'm talking early cold snaps, not long freezing spells.

AI Inc
11-05-2011, 06:57 AM
Three snowstorms, 9 degrees yesterday morning, 16 known freeze damage issue, and its not late? Different climates.
Posted via Mobile Device

yep , dipped below freezing every night here for over a week now.

DanaMac
11-05-2011, 07:20 AM
Depends on the device, Febco PVB's will crack the plastics easily but Wilkins or Watts will withstand pretty harsh temps. Most RP's seem to withstand temps well. But I'm talking early cold snaps, not long freezing spells.

We've replaced 10 bonnet/poppet kits so far. We've taken out many of the lower check valve nuts on 825y RPs to allow the device to thaw out on it's own - check valve thoroughly encased in ice. I have and do continue to use a torch. If it's frozen on site, I'm not making a second trip back after it thaws. I will try to find another point to connect to like a manifold drain.